+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outer Banks Diving

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Outer Banks Diving

Hello all, as a side benefit to attending a friend's wedding, it looks like I will have a chance to do some diving off the Outer Banks in North Carolina in the first week of September. I will be staying in Frisco, so the only sensible choice is Outer Banks Dive Center in Nag's Head. They claim to be CCR friendly, but there's not much firsthand info available on them here or on the interweb. Anybody here ever dive CCR with them? Any wrecks in their area of operation which you would or would not recommend? And, if anybody is interested in joining me, they would be welcome. Thanks in advance, -Andy

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Re: Outer Banks Diving

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello all, as a side benefit to attending a friend's wedding, it looks like I will have a chance to do some diving off the Outer Banks in North Carolina in the first week of September. I will be staying in Frisco, so the only sensible choice is Outer Banks Dive Center in Nag's Head. They claim to be CCR friendly, but there's not much firsthand info available on them here or on the interweb. Anybody here ever dive CCR with them? Any wrecks in their area of operation which you would or would not recommend? And, if anybody is interested in joining me, they would be welcome. Thanks in advance, -Andy
    Why is Nag's Head the only sensible choice? You are already basically in Hatteras, and there are charter boats just down the road (~10-15 minutes) that head out of Hatteras Inlet to some great wrecks.

Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA
    DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Cheers,
    Mike

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    Why is Nag's Head the only sensible choice? You are already basically in Hatteras, and there are charter boats just down the road (~10-15 minutes) that head out of Hatteras Inlet to some great wrecks.

Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA
    DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Cheers,
    Mike
    Hi Mike, thanks for the info about the charter boat, but I was limiting my choices to CCR friendly shops as they usually have dives scheduled every day during the high season, as opposed to charters who usually schedule around groups. The charter boat you linked doesn't have anything scheduled for the days I have free and I doubt they would take little old me out alone.

The next nearest CCR friendly shops are in Morehead City, which is 5hrs south. I would consider going the distance and staying there a few days if the shops and diving were better than what is available in the Nags Head/Hatteras area. Anybody have an opinion on the difference between the two dive areas and say, Olympus and Outer Banks Divers? Thanks, -Andy

RBW Member liztribe is on a distinguished road liztribe is on a distinguished road liztribe's Avatar
    Megalodon

Hi Andy,

Myself and another Meg diver went out on Capt JT's Under Pressure last summer, he was extremely accommodating to us CCR divers and was fine with waiting for us to do some longer dives, within reason. I would not hesitate to recommend him. I'm going to even go so far as to say it's the best boat I've ever been on for diving off of, his diver lift is definitely a nice bonus feature and there is a plenty of room on the boat so you're not crashing into everyone. I contacted JT directly via email to set our trip up and he was very helpful and informative of the wrecks in the area as he's and active diver himself (not just a boat operator).

Hope that helps,

Liz

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by liztribe  View Original Post
    Hi Andy,

Myself and another Meg diver went out on Capt JT's Under Pressure last summer, he was extremely accommodating to us CCR divers and was fine with waiting for us to do some longer dives, within reason. I would not hesitate to recommend him. I'm going to even go so far as to say it's the best boat I've ever been on for diving off of, his diver lift is definitely a nice bonus feature and there is a plenty of room on the boat so you're not crashing into everyone. I contacted JT directly via email to set our trip up and he was very helpful and informative of the wrecks in the area as he's and active diver himself (not just a boat operator).

Hope that helps,

Liz
    Great Liz, thanks for the firsthand info, his boat did look good, I'll try contacting him.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Anybody have an opinion on the difference between the two dive areas and say, Olympus and Outer Banks Divers? Thanks, -Andy
    With Outer Banks Divers you are headed out of Oregon Inlet and would be diving north of Diamond Shoals, which is dominated by the tail end of Labrador Current. This means colder water than the wrecks south of Diamond Shoals, such as out of Hatteras Inlet or Morehead City. Visibility can be excellent off Oregon Inlet, but on average would probably be a bit lower than what can be found to the south. Marine life is more tropical south of Diamond Shoals, versus more temperate to the north.
    There are definitely plenty of boat options running out of Morehead, but as you noted it takes some time getting there.
    If you want to take a shot at diving with the closer options, both of which are rebreather friendly, you may be able to get a walk-on spot if there is space; website calendars may not be 100% up to date, so it's worth an email IMHO....
    Cheers,
    Mike

The charter boat you linked doesn't have anything scheduled for the days I have free and I doubt they would take little old me out alone.
    FWIW, I posted two separate charter operations....

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    FWIW, I posted two separate charter operations....
    Hi Mike, thanks a ton for the info on the different currents and their effects, very helpful. Didn't catch the other link, spaced it, doing too many things at work, will take a look, thanks again, -Andy

RBW Member gkuzkin85 is on a distinguished road gkuzkin85 is on a distinguished road gkuzkin85's Avatar

Dive Hatteras is rebreather friendly.

I was out last weekend. There were six divers, and three were on rebreathers. The others divers were on doubles.

The boat captain's name is Dave. He really knows the area, and is open to rebreather (longer) profiles.

Dave can pump high pressure air from a trailer that's right at the boat. He cannot supply oxygen, or sorb.

Strongly recommended.

gary

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by gkuzkin85  View Original Post
    Dive Hatteras is rebreather friendly.

I was out last weekend. There were six divers, and three were on rebreathers. The others divers were on doubles.

The boat captain's name is Dave. He really knows the area, and is open to rebreather (longer) profiles.

Dave can pump high pressure air from a trailer that's right at the boat. He cannot supply oxygen, or sorb.

Strongly recommended.

gary
    Hi Gary, glad to know you had a good experience, spoke to Dave earlier today. He was on point, but it all depends on whether there are enough people to go out when I get there. Now, where to get O2, as neither of the recommended boats can supply it... -Andy