+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How can 1 pound of lead kill you?

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

How can 1 pound of lead kill you?

In my usual style of reporting, I will give a truthful and embarrassing account of my recent screw up.

A bunch of my friends got together and chartered a boat to treat me to my Birthday Dive. We went out to the Hydro Atlantic which sits in about 170' of water. Several of us were bringing scooters to play follow the leader and such. All of this is pretty much a typical dive for us and there was not any special procedures that we needed to deal with.

I went through my usual routine last night to get my gear prepped for today. Everything was ready and by the garage door with the exception of my scooter, which was still hooked up to the charger.

I get ready this morning and loaded up my gear. I looked at the label inside the nose cone of my scooter (it has the different weights needed for UV-18 vs. UV-26 and fresh or salt water listed there) so that I could make sure to get my weight right. I went as far as removing the body to verify that the weight pocket was empty. OK, all set. Problem was to be found immediately upon entering the water. I was light and needed 1 pound for salt water and i did not put it in. See the problem yet?

I went ahead and did the dive and really enjoyed myself. When it was time to come up, I let the current carry me off the wreck as I got my lift bag and reel ready for deployment. I dropped my scooter and let if hang, but it was bouyant and floated right up in front of my face. I pushed it off to the side and continued to inflate my lift bag. here comes that damned scooter again and I push it out of the way. This was not really a big deal but more of a slight annoyance.

This is the interesting part. Suddenly I notice that I had a serious case of chipmunk cheeks and the particles in the water seem to be falling at a rather serious rate of speed. Shit, I was headed up and had completely lost track of my position in the water column. I let my loop dump via loose lips and began dumping my wing. I blew past my 70' stop and made it all the way to 40' before I became negative and sank back down and got sorted out.

I did my deco hang and exited the water without further issue. I had not been in the water in 4 weeks and this was my first wetsuit dive of the season.

It is a damn wonder how something as trivial as a 1 pound weight could end up doing this to me. Sometimes I obviously suffer from a cranial rectal inversion.

OK, ya'all can give me shit for whatever you see fit now.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: How can 1 pound of lead kill you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    OK, ya'all can give me shit for whatever you see fit now.
    LOL… Ok Don we are learning more about you every day… You are obviously a sadist.

With that I am not going to give you the satisfaction of a good beating that your obviously wanting…

Seriously… Glad that it was just a simple “oh s#*()%” that you sorted through… Glad it worked out ok.

Mark

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Glad it worked our OK!

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Go figure that -1# would make your scooter so floaty. Anyways...glad you caught yourself in time. A bit hairy though! Oh & nice b-day present from your friends!

Franco

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I went out and set up my scooter tonight. I was wrong about the weight. I was 2 lb light.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Easy done Don! Glad it worked out OK.

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Next time, clip it off to your SMB/liftbag line. That's what I do with positive AL80's, tape measures, clipboards and other stuff that I use for reef monitoring.

still learning... gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan's Avatar

Credit for an honest report. Can honestly say I've had a few dives where I've fallen victim to the that's a minor change I don't need to test try that, and then had the very uncomfortable realisation it wasn't such a good idea... Last week in fact, trying the scooter - wouldn't it be nice if i could have a trigger lock for longer dives. Cue improvised bungee. A couple of dives later, and bungee nicely adjusted, lets go for a longer dive, put bungee over trigger, off we go. Ah look, this is fun, there's a submerged tree ahead, lets stop / swim round, bugger, cant get bungee off trigger, bugger, I'm gonna scrape the paintwork on the breather on this, real bugger, branch to the forehead... I considered that paying my dues for stupidity tax...

One question, would you not consider attaching scooter to DSMB and sending it up the line? I tend to try and do that with most kit I don't need for ascent... Kit on bottom of dsmb holds the dsmb nicely upright for the boat skipper to see. I would be a little nervous of the rapid pressure reduction...

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Happy Birthday Don!!!

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    In my usual style of reporting, I will give a truthful and embarrassing account of my recent screw up.
    Thanks for sharing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast