+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Better ratio Kiss GEM Mouthpiece

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Better ratio Kiss GEM Mouthpiece

I'm looking at purchasing a GEM here pretty quick (actually used one tomorrow), but I'm surprised given the other PSCR's,its ratio is so poor (1:3 v 1:8+)

I've read about better mouthpieces,yet I cant find a thing past some posts here a year old about any sort of upgraded ratio mouthpieces for the GEM.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Better ratio Kiss GEM Mouthpiece

3:1 is really a minimum. I seem to be getting more like 5:1 with the stock mouthpiece. I think the "tech" versions are still in development and testing. You can confirm by sending a PM to Mike Young. He's the developer.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

thx, I guess we just wait on those.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Jeff:

As I am sure you know, there is a tradeoff between gas efficiency and the drop in FIO2 compared to what is in the cylinder. As the GEM was designed as a recreational unit and hypoxia at the surface or in shallow water was a concern, the decision was made to make the stock mouthpiece approximately a 3:1 ratio as a compromise between gas efficiency and safety for the recreational diver. As Ken mentioned above, Mike has developed much more efficient mouthpieces. They are just not currently available. Again, PM him and he can fill you in on where he is in terms of being ready for production.

Doug

RBW Member Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young's Avatar
    Super KISS

I have the 8:1 ratio ready to produce. But most people are very happy with the stock ratio. How about it how many GEM divers want a higher ratio???

Meg

KISS

*raises hand*

Its just about knowing what you can/can't do at the surface or shallows as well as monitor your levels.

RBW Member Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young will become famous soon enough Mike Young's Avatar
    Super KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    *raises hand*

Its just about knowing what you can/can't do at the surface or shallows as well as monitor your levels.
    It would require at least 2 gas mixes (deep mix , shallow/deco mix) and the ability to switch.

Meg

KISS

Is that because of the higher O2 drop of the 8:1?

I'm getting a switchblock anyways for my GEM.

So what is it, an appx 2ata gas switch to your bottom mix?
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 29th June 2012 at 15:03.

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    Is that because of the higher O2 drop of the 8:1?

I'm getting a switchblock anyways for my GEM.

So what is it, an appx 2ata gas switch to your bottom mix?
    Jeff not trying to be "smart" but you need to hook up with a mentor or take a class. Mike cannot "teach" you to dive the thing safely on the internet.

RAL

RBW Member Danseur is an unknown quantity at this point Danseur's Avatar

As I have been debating purchacing the GEM vs a few different CCR units, an 8:1 ratio would absolutely tip the decision to the GEM.

Hypoxic mixes (effective) were always the plan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast