+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

RBW Member wilko7 is an unknown quantity at this point wilko7's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition

Re: Dive Rite 10WHID MR11 to LED upgrade

You don't need to use a lathe, the outer casing should be adequate enough due the thermal properties of the outer casing in contact with the surrounding water!

Excile I assume you have used a tristar type lense to make it work. The only problem is you cannot use your original hid reflector you will have to buy a new lense/ reflector to fit the 3 XML led's. Considering excile has actually done a conversion I would listen to what he would tell you. I made the torch by scratch. Or alternatively send it off to have it professionally done.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by wilko7  View Original Post
    You don't need to use a lathe, the outer casing should be adequate enough due the thermal properties of the outer casing in contact with the surrounding water!
    The problem is getting a heat sink to mount the LED on that will slip fit into the "outer case" so it can transfer the heat from the LED to the heatsink to the outer case to the water.
    HID based lights don't use heatsinks as such.

Sentinel Expedition

I will have a look tonite for parts that will fit and places you can buy them from, you want around 1400 lumens, what is the torch mainly used for? What type of beam would you be looking for tight or wide?

Sentinel Expedition

Heatsinks greatly vary is sizes so it shouldn't be a problem finding one to slip in. Can you upload a picture with close ups of the head so I can get an idea of what has to be changed?

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    Scotty,
    This is the result of a Google search. I don't know if it's any good but it's everything you asked for: EU, drop in kit and up to 1400 lumen.
    Here is the link: sump donkey
    Hope this helps.
    Best
    Philippe
    Something like that with a 10-15 degree optic would be perfect. Not sure if a 5 degree optic beam fits my needs (solo, wrecks and lakes).

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

I will have a look tonite for parts that will fit and places you can buy them from, you want around 1400 lumens, what is the torch mainly used for? What type of beam would you be looking for tight or wide?
    mainly used for wrecks and lakes, prefered bean would be around 10-15°

Heatsinks greatly vary is sizes so it shouldn't be a problem finding one to slip in. Can you upload a picture with close ups of the head so I can get an idea of what has to be changed?
    Borrowed the lamp to a friend and will get it back in 3 weeks. But from my notes when I was looking for a spare ballast some years ago:
    inner diameter of the head:35,6mm
    outer diameter of the ballast:~35mm
    length (ballast + bulb): ~47mm + some mm for the wires

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

You know a place that sells heatinks in 0.05mm size differences?

This is where the lathe is needed. Machine up a rod of aluminium so it only just fits inside the head. When it heats up from use it will expand and offer excellent heat transfer properties to the body of the light. If the heat sink is only 0.1mm smaller than the inside of the light head then the contact area is going to be so small that you will not get very good transfer of heat.
    To be honest this probably will not matter too much for a single XML ( assuming a large enough heat sink in the first place) but if you try and run 3 XML's at full power you need it to be right.

mainly used for wrecks and lakes, prefered beam would be around 10-15°
    I'd consider that a flood beam.

Sometimes the term Full Width Half Maximum is used. (FWHM)
    so a 15deg optic would mean the beam is 15 degrees wide until the brightness drops below 50% of brightest. This is just the bright centre spot and does not include the outer spill beam.
    But some times optics are rated in +- 15 deg FWHM. These are in fact 30 degree optics.

I'd suggest you get the tightest optics you can get. M11 ( 35mm) is pretty small and you simply cant get a really tight beam anyway.

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Davis Station, Antarctica(Usually Jervis Bay, Australia)
    Ouroboros #107

Classic Inspo, Ray, Homebuild

I agree with Packhorse, you absoloutely need a lathe to get the heatsink to be a slip fit inside the housing. Even a machine shop could do it for you and I doubt it would cost a great deal. I absoloutely love my conversion, shits all over the old HID which I never used, I would rather use my old 50w halogen torch than the 10w HID but now its converted to LED I love it. Good lighting for wreck diving and good on power consumption. I got the tightest beam I could in the riple LED lens configuration.

Im using 3XML in T6 and a beam of +/- 9.5 degrees, which is 19 degrees total, good all round beam. Also using the Hi6flex driver

LEDS - Cutter Electronics

LENS - Cutter Electronics

Driver - Cutter Electronics

Hope this info helps, if you need a drawing of the heatsink let me know and I will sketch one up for you. I could also pull my head apart for a show and tell but Im not all that keen on it unless its absoloutely necessary.

Paul

Sentinel Expedition

Found this
    MPLEZW-A1-R100-0000D040F - CREE - LED, EASYWHITE, LUM FLUX 900LM | Farnell United Kingdom

1500 lumen at 250ma, you will have to alter the battery pack so it will be 25v, get the ultrafire 3.7v lithium ion batteries, they are 65mm long and 15mm diameter.

You can use the reflector you have or they do custom optics for the led.

Here is the heatsink that you can use.
    Your Search Results | Farnell United Kingdom | Results
    There are 2 sizes 1 is 10mm long other is 20mm long. If you can try and use the 20mm one as this will be more heat dissipation.

Here is a link for some batteries.
    18650 | eBay

And finally you need an led driver. Here is a link for that,
    LDU4860S250-WD - XP POWER - LED DRIVER, DC-DC, 14W, WIRED | Farnell United Kingdom

All these parts will work, i need a few more indepth measurements to make sure they fit, but from what you tell me they should

Sentinel Expedition

I dont believe you need to connect the heat sink to the outside casing but the majority seem to say so. Personally I have made my whole torch from scratch use 7 led's producing a 2600 lumen beam, 7 hour battery life and i just use a standard heatsink. I connect the heatsink to the rear end of the torch near the umbilical to create a "tower" of electronics and then screw the top over the outside. (not sure that makes sense!) But i havent seen your torch so cant tell you the best way to put it together. Up to you what you do!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast