+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Good first rebreather?

Cat Wrangler Bluetickle is on a distinguished road Bluetickle is on a distinguished road Bluetickle's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Good first rebreather?

Gainesville, Florida is where I am, and I too will soon be a rebreather diver. Hopefully this week I take my first lesson.

I'm sure this will be covered by my instructor, but if you feel inclined to share your thoughts...

What is a good first rebreather?

Money is not a major issue, but certainly not unlimited.

I like to cave dive and frequently use side mount. I'm not fixated on any one diving method, and I do realize that one style does not cover all situations.

Although, that "low rider" config looks pretty sweet.

Jonathan Pitt

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Re: Good first rebreather?

Welcome on board, when you have the possibility to do try dives on different units, do it....
    For me the Meg is a good machine, but here every reb owner would say his /her machine is the best on earth, so here we separate´s the man from the boys, you must build up your own opinion.......

Much fun and enjoy it,....

RBW Member happy58900 is an unknown quantity at this point happy58900's Avatar
    Kiss !Kiss / GAF Hammerhead

What is good first rebreather? Answer The first one you own .
    Try dive every unit you can before buying any.

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

For a first RB, I strongly suggest you get the same one your diving buddies are using.
    There is nothing more valuable than having people round you to learn from and watch your back.

Choosing a different unit later can then be based upon experience.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

If you do not have any other clues:

Classic Kiss: simple, relatively lighweight, easy to don and trim and because is a mCCR you have to get used to its behaviour and to monitor ppO2.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld  View Original Post
    For a first RB, I strongly suggest you get the same one your diving buddies are using.
    There is nothing more valuable than having people round you to learn from and watch your back.

That's one reason why I went for the rEvo. Together with easy availability of spare parts, a lot of rEvo instructors around me and the excellent service, help and advice from the manufacturer.

Have fun choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

For a first Rebreather, I strongly suggest you get the same one your diving buddies are using.

+1 .....Having an instructor close by made the training easier. The availability to service and get parts quickly is a must. Being able to dive with great divers using the same unit was the reason I went with mine as well.

Good luck and enjoy!

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetickle  View Original Post
    Gainesville, Florida is where I am, and I too will soon be a rebreather diver. Hopefully this week I take my first lesson.

I'm sure this will be covered by my instructor, but if you feel inclined to share your thoughts...

What is a good first rebreather?

Money is not a major issue, but certainly not unlimited.

I like to cave dive and frequently use side mount. I'm not fixated on any one diving method, and I do realize that one style does not cover all situations.

Although, that "low rider" config looks pretty sweet.

Jonathan Pitt
    Jonathan, have a talk with Jim Wyatt, he's based Gainesville, CCR instructor, and now also CCR cave instructor.
    Cave country dive shop.

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

For a first Rebreather, I strongly suggest you get the same one your diving buddies are using.

Philosophically I agree with you but practically I don't!

Get the one that suits you the best. How will you know? Good Question. Check out as many units as you can, ask lots of questions and have a list of priorities.

Since you are in FLorida, give Peter Sotis from Add Helium a call. I think he has about 9 different units he can walk you through on.

Good Luck and welcome!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

One of the important reasons for my RB choice was that it is the very thinnest possible profile of and RB. I like cave diving and crawling through some tight spots on wrecks too.

I dive a rEvo now, but it is the 3rd RB that I have owned. I consider the first couple to be my learning experience so that I would know what I really wanted.

Go with what suits your needs and wants in a RB. Don't worry so much about what your friends are using. I tried going the route with the popular to my locale unit and was very unhappy with the outcome. When I first switched to the rEvo there was no parts, service, or support available in the US. I went with what I wanted for myself and am happy with that outcome.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!