2 20.00%
  • All went pair shaped

2 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PFO Closure results

PFO Closure results

Hi all,

I have just been diagnosed with a significant PFO and wanted to know how everyone who has had a closure fared after the procedure. I am thinking that the general rebreather diving community would be healthier than the average population so thought I might get a more accurate picture of results.

Please post any adverse events or outcomes and what happened and if the problem got fixed up or not.

Thanks heaps.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: PFO Closure results

I assume you are aware of the study being done now?
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=30541
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

I was aware of the study and tried some of the links that ended up ad dead ends so I have emailed Douglas directly.

RBW Member Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo is a name known to all Slawek Packo's Avatar
    HH ccr

Quote Originally Posted by drclong  View Original Post
    Please post any adverse events or outcomes and what happened and if the problem got fixed up or not.
    In my case it looks like it got fixed. Before I had 3 hits (type II & III). One and a half year ago I closed PFO and since then I am ok although I started a bit more aggressive dives.

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

i guess two events

1. after inserting the guide wire, something was determined to be too small so it had to be withdrawn, resulting in the need to re-insert through the other leg. sorry i'm vague on the details it was over 5 years ago now. It did result in the procedure taking a lot longer and i needed further sedation as i was starting to move around a bit too much.

2. i was given gentamycin and vancomycin as antibiotics. i had an adverse reaction to the second dose of post-operative vancomycin. I am allergic to some other antibiotics. I developed itching crawling scalp and back, and hives on my wrists.

Other than that, i haven't had a problem with the device, or any further issues with DCS.

rachel

Thanks guys,

This is exactly what I was after. Come on everyone else. Don't be shy.

I noticed one person has ticked "Went pair shaped" - What happened?

Just noticed I went pair shaped instead of pear shaped...

Todd Janquart vtach67 is an unknown quantity at this point vtach67's Avatar
    rEvo III hybrid mini, Sentinel

I ended up having a 9mm opening with some minor DCS issues post dive. The surgery went well albeit for some arrhythmia issues (all sinoatrial no ventricular) for the first year after. They did warn me about that but it was a bit more than anticipated. Now, no more issues (dcs or arrhythmia) and feel much better after completing same type of dives. Happy with the results.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

My procedure was simple. Doug Ebersole did great work, he is on this forum, I strongly suggest you contact him.
    Here are some pictures:
    Silent Scuba's Pictures - Mel's PFO Closure
    I had many hits before, now I am essential hit free.
    I went into hospital at 6 am, had my TEE. this is normally done before hand, but I was a special case
    Then Doug did the procedure around 12 noon, but I really don't know as I was so stoned thanks Doug !
    Anyway I felt nothing, and hopefully said nothing silly, but Doug won't tell me
    The only issue I had was I had a bit of a bleed on my left leg venous opening, the RN's put pressure on it and I was fine. Really the only sucky part was not being able to eat all day and lying on your back not moving all day will give you a nice sore back.
    The recovery over the next months was easy except for taking Asa and plavix, if u looked at me I bruised , which sucks for a goalie in hockey. So I looked like I was a victim of domestic violence for 6 months.
    Well worth it IMHO.
    Good luck
    Mel

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

That reminds me, I found that bruising of the shins and knees getting onto boat after diving (while on aspirin and plavix) was very painful. Thought the skin would just split open on a few occasions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast