+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: meg vs jj-ccr

RSB Rsbeier is an unknown quantity at this point Rsbeier's Avatar
    Meg 2.7 SW predator

Inspiration Evolution.

meg vs jj-ccr

Hey gyus i was hoping you could help me out here . what os best and what not when you put the meg op vs the jj-ccr
    thanks..

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Re: meg vs jj-ccr

After 4 years of diving my meg i can say i had no problems, i have done wreck,cave and deep dives, i fall down a few steps with the meg on my back, the tiger gears come up arround 2 cm but the meg functionally perfect during 2 hour cave dive, the machine is very robust and easy to dive, but you have OTSCL, and the radial cost you 650 US$ extra (from GG) and the BOV is expensive too (don`t have one) but never ever i would buy a JJ, for me (and this is only my opinion) the meg is the way to go, next step is the Ouroboros, but this is another story,...

When you have the possible do try dives and then make your decision,...
    much fun and luck.

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Their seems to be a few post on the net comparing the meg and the JJ-CCR, in my opinion they are different in quite a few ways, small details that make a big difference but both great rebreathers.

The meg has a completely redundant backup handset that can be wired to a dive computer at an extra cost for live deco were the JJ-CCR just has a hud and runs using shearwater for primary controller. I never needed the additional handsets in over 900hrs on the meg or the hun on the JJ in over 200 but nice to have piece of mind.

The counter lung design of the JJ-CCR is true back mounted giving the chest free like OC, this suits diving dry and overheads great and was the reason I switched to the JJ-CCR, The meg options a manta lung that is shoulder mounted but restricts diver a bit.

The JJ-CCR has options for scrubber same as meg neither publish the data i need to really use them in the real world but around 3 hrs for axial and radial for 5hrs under CE.

They are both modular in design allowing multiple tank configurations and easy travel.

The JJ-CCR international addition comes with a BOV included the meg BOV is extra on all options but does have solid Apeks internals.

The JJ runs a shearwater as primary controller so you get built in decompression, the meg has this option but it a 1,500usd upgrade from standard config at time of order

Both rigs have easy options to plug in off-board gases.

The JJ-CCR has a sweet base stand and carry handle design for gearing up sand attaching stages and gear when diving.

Both manufactures provide excellent factory support.

The cruncher seems to be on price the JJ-CCR international addition with BOV, wing, harness (No tanks) is 6790 euro

The meg is $8,875.00 or approx 6656 but then you pay around 900usd for the BOV, the manta and shearwater both then add around 1700usd so ball park depending a=on scrubber and can design around 11,500usd or 8600euro and does not include a wing.

The training I offer on both units cost the same and takes the same amount of time for mod1

a consideration would be were in the world you live for factory service and what rigs to your buddies dive to share spare. In my opinion you would not be disappointed with either unit.
    Last edited by tecdivertraining; 4th February 2012 at 23:25.

Let's go diving! mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement will become famous soon enough mpement's Avatar
    Megalodon

JJ= very good machine!
    Meg= better machine!!

Just my .02$

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mpement  View Original Post

Just my .02$
    Yes but worth every penny. Thanks Mike.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I think Matt's comparison was one of the most fair, even-handed, unbiased, informative posts of this kind that I ever recall. Kudos, Matt.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I have owned several CCR including Inspo rEvo KISS and now the JJ but the Meg has never even been on my wish list.

Because? Front mounted lungs dont apeal, Its heavy for transport, having to take the head off to switch it on is a PITA, America is too expensive and too dificult to send stuff too for repairs (I know I had a Hammer Head)

If i lived in the USA didnt mind front mount lungs and didnt mind the weight of a stripped meg? Id get one with a Shearwater unit on it.

The JJ is better for me and it comes with a Shearwater as standard.

The HUD is totaly independent in all but the cells and I can put a KISS valve on it to cover the electronics if they fail so the JJ comes out tops

Your in the EU? So the JJ wins hands down

Only thing about the JJ i think is week is the JJ BOV. I just swaped my one for a Golum Shrimp.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze will become famous soon enough izze's Avatar
    JJ

The meg seems like a nice unit. I ended up with a JJ, mainly due to logistics. Denmark is reasonably close, there's a local instructor and it works well with the diving I want to do. Mark listed the reasons well enough.

Seeing as you actually live in Denmark and have the manufacturer next doors I would definitely go with the JJ. With a choice of shipping across the Atlantic or within the country that alone would make the decision for me.

So far I've got a massive 35 hours rebreather experience but I'm quite pleased with the JJ. It's by no means perfect but to me none of the other units seem to be perfect either. It works well in the cold (-25 C this morning, good day to dive), travels well and nothing has broken so far.

RBW Member abohmann is an unknown quantity at this point abohmann's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

In terms of workmanship both units are excellent.

I decided for a JJ because:
    * very nice buildt
    * back mounted counterlungs
    * love the ease of shearwater electronics
    * developer and keypersons in europe(Swiss,UK & Denmark) at hand
    * strong & enhusiastic base of users in Europe

What I didn't like on the Meg:
    * front mounted counterlungs
    * one has to remove the head to turn on the electronics
    (I dont like to open a pos/neg tested unit just before the dive)
    * special batteriepacks needed to operate

BR
    Andy

Supporting Member IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    Their seems to be a few post on the net comparing the meg and the JJ-CCR, in my opinion they are different in quite a few ways, small details that make a big difference but both great rebreathers.

The meg has a completely redundant backup handset that can be wired to a dive computer at an extra cost for live deco were the JJ-CCR just has a hud and runs using shearwater for primary controller. I never needed the additional handsets in over 900hrs on the meg or the hun on the JJ in over 200 but nice to have piece of mind.

The counter lung design of the JJ-CCR is true back mounted giving the chest free like OC, this suits diving dry and overheads great and was the reason I switched to the JJ-CCR, The meg options a manta lung that is shoulder mounted but restricts diver a bit.

The JJ-CCR has options for scrubber same as meg neither publish the data i need to really use them in the real world but around 3 hrs for axial and radial for 5hrs under CE.

They are both modular in design allowing multiple tank configurations and easy travel.

The JJ-CCR international addition comes with a BOV included the meg BOV is extra on all options but does have solid Apeks internals.

The JJ runs a shearwater as primary controller so you get built in decompression, the meg has this option but it a 1,500usd upgrade from standard config at time of order

Both rigs have easy options to plug in off-board gases.

The JJ-CCR has a sweet base stand and carry handle design for gearing up sand attaching stages and gear when diving.

Both manufactures provide excellent factory support.

The cruncher seems to be on price the JJ-CCR international addition with BOV, wing, harness (No tanks) is 6790 euro

The meg is $8,875.00 or approx 6656 but then you pay around 900usd for the BOV, the manta and shearwater both then add around 1700usd so ball park depending a=on scrubber and can design around 11,500usd or 8600euro and does not include a wing.

The training I offer on both units cost the same and takes the same amount of time for mod1

a consideration would be were in the world you live for factory service and what rigs to your buddies dive to share spare. In my opinion you would not be disappointed with either unit.
    Really good illustrated Matthew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast