+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RedSea (Brothers) End of Feb - SemiDry or Neo Drysuit?

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

RedSea (Brothers) End of Feb - SemiDry or Neo Drysuit?

Heading to Red Sea at the end of the month (OC diving) for a week down in the South RedSea diving the Brothers and Elphinstone

Got a choice between:

* Scubapro 6.5mm Nova Scotia Semidry
    or
    * Mares IceFit 4 Drysuit (4mm compressed neoprene)

Thinking the Scubapro will be easier to dive, as I will need less weight (7kg vs 11kg) more streamlined and less hassle, but on the other hand, the idea of keeping my core temp up for the week, sure does appeal.

What would you guys do?

RBW Member LeCrabe is an unknown quantity at this point LeCrabe's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR mini titanium

Re: RedSea (Brothers) End of Feb - SemiDry or Neo Drysuit?

I have been in March in elphinstone, panorama reef and the brothers. water around 20 degrees. In this part of the red sea it will anyway not drop under 15 degrees specially at depth shallower than 40m.
    If you intend only recreationnal diving the semidry is plenty enough.
    If you plan tech dive with extended bottom time you might prefer the dry...
    As always it depends

RockiesMan pmasiar is an unknown quantity at this point pmasiar's Avatar
    rEvo

Hi,

DRY SUIT is the way to go.
    I asked the rEvo Red Sea instructors about this and they dive dry. They say students dive wet suits.

Dry suit among other thing offers a level of redundancy for your wing.

I have Whites Fusion Bullet dry suit. This feels like a wet suit, and I would use this in the Red Sea. Fusion is a Canadian Product, go to their web site and see:

*Drysuits - Fusion - Whites Diving

My daughter had this of dry suit during her trip to Red Sea. She was greatly admired for it, and she did tons of diving without being cold.

RBW Member LeCrabe is an unknown quantity at this point LeCrabe's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR mini titanium

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar  View Original Post
    Hi,

Dry suit among other thing offers a level of redundancy for your wing.
    For what?
    redundancy for 25m recreationnal with a ali80 in the red sea ?
    BOLLOX

RockiesMan pmasiar is an unknown quantity at this point pmasiar's Avatar
    rEvo

Let's not argue about this, it is not worth it.

Into Rubber Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W.'s Avatar
    Megalodon, HammerInspo

Dolphin

Dry suit is the way to go in February - March. Been there once same time and was wondering why these "whimps" (instructors) were diving dry...

I found out soon enough..

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

Thanks for all the replies.

Drysuit it is. Reason between the two is thats two of the suits I own - but thanks for the info on the others...got a Trilaminate also but that I know is over kill!!!!

New Member John Langley is on a distinguished road John Langley is on a distinguished road John Langley's Avatar
    Dolphin, Dolphin Kiss, Kiss Cl

Wise choise, not so much in the water but it can be windy, and when every one is shivering when they get out the water you wont be.

J.L.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Joop W.  View Original Post
    Dry suit is the way to go in February - March. Been there once same time and was wondering why these "whimps" (instructors) were diving dry...
    I am still wondering until today why ever anybody would dive in a drysuit in the redsea.. at least as long as not heading for a 2hr+ dive..

I have been to the brothers 4 times now. 2 times in Winter 2 times in Summer..
    Never ever would I even consider to bring a drysuit. A good semi dry is good enough by any means..
    My first time I have been there in March I even had just a wetsuit and I was comfortable on all dives..

Quote Originally Posted by LeCrabe  View Original Post
    In this part of the red sea it will anyway not drop under 15 degrees specially at depth shallower than 40m.
    Interesting ....
    where an when does it get as cold as 15 degrees?

The 6 times I've been diving in the winter months (Jan-Mar before the water is warm and from April it warms up again as well) in the Red Sea, I never ever experienced a temperature below 21 degrees but also very rare mostly it even stayed at 23 degrees

The only people I ever see diving in drysuits are the professionals working there constantly.. They are not used to any cold water anymore at all and if you are on your 10th+ Safari in a row I also have some sympathy..
    But for vacation diving there?
    C'mon !!!

The only thing which can suck a bit and get you cold is the wind once you get out of the water.. Thus it is nicer if you were dry, but you just get quickly in your bathrobe and in the shower and all good..
    I would never sacrifice the freedom of a wetsuit/semidry because of those 2 min of freezing if there is wind at all (but most likely at that time of the year there is wind)..

I'd suggest you reconsider your choice

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by thetrickster  View Original Post
    ...got a Trilaminate also but that I know is over kill!!!!
    ?????
    Why would the trilaminate be over kill??
    If I was eventually deciding to take a drysuit to Egypt for rec diving.. And have the choice of a Trilaminate and a crush neoprene.. I'd take the Trilaminate any day and time..Because again for reasons of freedom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast