+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Deep Tortuga's CCR Wreck Trip - September 6-9, 2012

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: Deep Tortuga's CCR Wreck Trip - September 6-9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pwl4476  View Original Post
    I appreciate the insight into the water temps. I'll bring my drysuit and leave my 2mm at home. Since this is my first time out in this area, if you have any other insights that I should know about, please clue me in.

I'm primarily a fresh water, overhead environment diver. Maybe here are one or two that you can help me with.
    • What are folks using for surface markers/lift bags?
    • Does anyone carry or recommend carrying a personal beacon? If yes, what are you using?
    • Anything else that comes to mind as something I should be thinking about?
    Thanks

PLB - absolutely. I believe that they have some you can rent on the boat.
    SMB's - you might want to check what color is for emergency (bring gas now!) and what color is for general use (drift deco, lifting stuff).

I would also recommend a slate so that if you have an emergency you can attach it to the proper colored lift bag to tell the surface what to bring down to you.

2 cutting tools as I suspect you will be on some wrecks that have old fishing lines or nets.

If your diving wet then also a redundant buoyancy device lift dual inflate wing.

John

RBW Member Moving target is an unknown quantity at this point Moving target's Avatar
    Optima

Pwl4476: Just a note regarding temps... You never know what thermocline you might run into. Temps on the curb sunday were 82 on the surface but high 60s / low 70s past 150'...

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff - I'll bring a scooter and the reels. Light too. Thanks.

John - Will check on the bag colors. Cutting tools and slate will go in the gear tub. Thanks.

Moving Target - I'll just plan to dive damp the whole trip. Are you with the boat? If so can you answer the question on the SMB colors? I'm pretty sure that I have only a couple of orange Halcyon markers. If I need other colors, please advise. Thanks.

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Phil -- just point that bad boy MB SUB light of yours towards the surface and no need for a bag -- everyone will see it for miles ..

PS don't forget ear plugs as there is always someone who snores (not me tho)..

Looking forward to getting some dives in with you....

John

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by pwl4476  View Original Post
    If so can you answer the question on the SMB colors? I'm pretty sure that I have only a couple of orange Halcyon markers. If I need other colors, please advise. Thanks.
    It's my understanding that protocol calls for a backup yellow smb for signaling an emergency; however, I'm guilty of not adhering to that guideline either. Even though I have a big bright yellow smb laying around somewhere at home, I too just carry two large red/orange smb's (1-primary, 1-backup) with me while underwater.

Btw, I've also just started using one of those Nautilus Lifeline waterproof VHF/GPS thing-a-ma-gigi's. I realize the range is somewhat limited, but I figure it can't hurt to have it on me, just in case.

Regardless of what safety equipment I dive with, I figure if I just stay away from those wrecks off the coast of Thailand, I ought to be just fine!

RBW Member Moving target is an unknown quantity at this point Moving target's Avatar
    Optima

Phil, no I'm not with the boat although Capt. Frank is a friend. I can not comment on the smb question, but one additional piece of advice. Don't forget something warm... they keep it nice and cool below deck! I'm sure anyone on the trip will be in for a great time!

Muffin Meg Diver tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri's Avatar
    Meg (apecs)

Quote Originally Posted by jcmankat  View Original Post
    PS don't forget ear plugs as there is always someone who snores (not me tho).. John
    Better not be any snoring ! I'll just start throwing back up lights or whatever I can find lying around... Hopefully they don't keep anchors stored in the bunk area

Muffin Meg Diver tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri will become famous soon enough tecterri's Avatar
    Meg (apecs)

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Terri, during the trip that Jeff and I did in June a few years back, we did get approx. 68 degree water temperatures down on the bottom on the deeper wrecks, and the surface temps were around 82 degrees (Love them warm deco hangs!).

Given that we're headed over there in September, hopefully the temps will be a bit warmer; however, we've all been doing this long enough to know that deep bottom temperatures, currents, seas, and visibility can be downright unpredictable, so let's all do the Boy/Girl Scout thing and come prepared!

Tony, you may want to bring TWO heated vests!!
    Good advice :) I'll bring the DS and the 5mm with the hooded vest... now the next big decision: to she-pee or not to she-pee

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by tecterri  View Original Post
    ...now the next big decision: to she-pee or not to she-pee
    Waaaaay too much information there Terri!

Spree Driver wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie will become famous soon enough wookie's Avatar

Every diver must carry an orange SMB. Additionally, someone in the team must carry a yellow SMB. I personally have nothing against solo diving, but my insurance company prohibits solo technical diving, get it? So. Everyone needs to have a bag to shoot. I've had divers spread out 6 miles or more during deco, and I can't even see 6 miles (it's just at the horizon if you are standing on a boat 6 feet off the water) so each diver having a big orange SMB is a great idea. Liftbags are not SMBs, and if you shoot a liftbag, we will consider it to have no less than 250 lbs of gold bars or at least an intact porthole under it and drag it up accordingly. Your choice. The yellow bag indicates an emergency. Fire an orange bag in a gas emergency and we will not respond in any way that is to your liking. We'll pretty much ignore you until you surface. As long as one of your team members (remember, tech diving is a team sport) has a yellow bag you can shoot, we will respond with all alacrity. If you have a gas emergency and no yellow bag, attach a slate to your bag stating your particular crisis and when we mosey over to check what is on your slate, we'll peer closely at it and respond appropriately.

Having your name on your bag is a great way of letting us know who you are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast