+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lifejacket to rebreather

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

Re: Lifejacket to rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Paua  View Original Post
    I think that its a "piss take" on the KISS rebreather plus the fact that Duncan's is a pendulum system therefore PISS or P1SS
    "pendulum, one-stream system" or "pendulum, one-stream, simple"?

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Cool Re: Lifejacket to rebreather

If KISS is Keep It Simple Stupid then PISS is probably Pendulum Is Simple Stupid??

Bob Downey seakrakken is on a distinguished road seakrakken is on a distinguished road seakrakken's Avatar

PISS is more like what it smelled like after a while.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Appleyard  View Original Post
    Here in England we called them a "diver's lifejacket", before scuba diving got so permeated with sets of initials.
    More like "ABLJ" if I remember correctly......acronyms had infected the greatest empire the world has ever seen even then.....

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

I heard a while ago of a dive, and on it were a many-cylindered technical diver and a diver with a rebreather made from a diver's lifejacket. One of them needed rescuing -- this CGI image says which.

The technical diver was overloaded and lost a fin floundering about and the converted lifejacket man had to rescue him.
    Attached Images

RBW Member dspe is an unknown quantity at this point dspe's Avatar

i am very suprised someone has not invented a scrubber canister that conects to a bc hose to make a pendulum bob one cell scr one kg of sorb this would be small not expensive ?

In this sort of home-make, what device is provided to keep water out of the circuit if the mouthpiece is removed in the water? For example, the diver may want to snorkel from the shore to where he wants to dive, to save oxygen and absorbent usage, same as saving air in an open-circuit air scuba.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by dspe  View Original Post
    i am very suprised someone has not invented a scrubber canister that conects to a bc hose to make a pendulum bob one cell scr one kg of sorb this would be small not expensive ?
    Still need a counterlung. And I dunno about pendulums for deep bailout scenarios, the dead space for CO2 retention just seems way too big.

Anthony - you need to keep the thing closed during the dive prior to bailout anyway, same mechanism to close it off when you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Still need a counterlung. And I dunno about pendulums for deep bailout scenarios, the dead space for CO2 retention just seems way too big.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siebe_Gorman_CDBA : British naval/SBS divers/frogmen up to at least the 1970's did their diving satisfactorily with a Siebe Gorman pendulum system; some of those sets had a mixture (= nitrox) version. But presumably at depth 10*(x-1) meters = 33*(x-1) feet the deadspace in a pendulum rebreather would contain x times as much gas as at the surface; but a lungful of the diver's breath would also flush x times as much gas through the system. But that same volume at that pressure could contain x times as much CO2 as at the surface. But the diver would only make the same amount of CO2 as on the surface, compared with how fast his body was burning fuel. How does pressure affect the efficiency of absorbent?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Anthony - you need to keep the thing closed during the dive prior to bailout anyway, same mechanism to close it off when you're done.
    Fenzy Frenzy / Oxygen Rebreather / CEDU / FEOR : This lifejacket pendulum conversion keeps the original lifejacket mouthpiece, which seems on the image to be sealable.

Photos SW Fenzy : This lifejacket conversion with a circulation seems to use an ordinary aqualung mouthpiece and breathing tube loop without visible means of closing it off.
    Last edited by Anthony Appleyard; 6th June 2014 at 08:55.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

They might have dived 'em happily.

Tell ya what, Anthony: less time drawing 3d pictures, more time diving. Grab a pendulum and a loop rebreather, go do a hard swim on both, come back and tell us which one you preferred. :)

I ain't diving to save my country or to get paid, so it has to be fun. And a hard breathing, sour aired pendulum doesn't seem a lot of fun to me when compared to a full loop.

Admittedly, this is coming from someone who hasn't done more than couch dive a pendulum, so I'm hardly experienced. But I know what my gut is telling me and when manufacturers are getting all concerned about the deadspace difference between straight vs angled flapper valves, something tells me that a 30cm tube is probably significant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast