+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

RBW Member andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis's Avatar
    UTD MX Series

Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Hanssing  View Original Post
    When i look at the uncompromizing approach from the DIR community, and then look at UTD and think that's not right?

If it was anyone else here on RBW that had hacked it together for himself I would just go,OK.
    But its not, it a dir-organization and in this setting it's utter crap!

That head it utterly wrong for the job, so if you want to do it right you don't use that head, simple as that really.

Again it just looks as UTD is making grab for everything that is the least bit technical so they have milking-basis for whatever muppet diver that fancies the dir-approach.

But on the same pages on adm videos there is the beautiful well designed sidemountsystem, which just shows the UTD in stark contrast.
    To answer you directly, this is certainly not "a grab" for anything other than trying to get a selection "tools" that are specific for the job or environment in which we need or use them. You are right that in the beginning DIR was extremely rigid and therefore any other configuration than hogarthian (two steel 104's on your back, long hose, necklace and a deco tank on your left ) was not consider DIR/Hogarthian. But as the exploration became impossible on Open circuit so the need or tool was created to continue the exploration. That was the birth of the fist Halcyon PSCR and then later the RB80. Which meant that I (we) had to adapted the tool (PSCR) and the needs that tool to the skills, training and DIR configuration. That meant that we had to keep the donatable long hose and necklace and so on, to ensure that we kept within our DIR framework. Although most of you would disagree that coming off your loop, raising it above your head, unclipping your long hose - which was connected to your right post, is not the cleanest way of donating a long hose and it was not traditional "Clean DIR" it was a compromise between the new tool additional hoses (rebreather loop) and staying within our open-circuit and historical framework. The slight change is skill and configuration did not detract from the exploration that could be achieved with that new tool.

So for me, being able to switch between the back-mount and side-mount configurations, being able to dive within a "Mixed Team" and staying within our framework, far out weighs the additional failure points of 6 static o-rings when rebreather diving already offers such a huge additional "Risk and failure points."

Andrew

RBW Member andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis's Avatar
    UTD MX Series

Quote Originally Posted by erikradstrom  View Original Post
    Without any bashing Andrew, I must admit that Dave has a point with the gasblock on the back. It is in a exposed area when you dive sidemount, wouldnīt it be better to have it under the arm om at the side of the scrubber? Maybe use Y splitters so you can divide them and be able to isolate without loosing everything?

Erik

I must tell you that a small 1" marine grade brass block with 8 static ports that is tucked away between your shoulder blades is far less risk and failure that any 2" rubber breathing hose no matter where you place it. The places I have taken the Z-side-mount system, I am more concerned about the breathing loop than I am about the brass block.

Andrew

UTD MX Series

Quote Originally Posted by AzTek Diver  View Original Post
    Let's make it very clear, there's nothing about this Rebreather that has anything to do with DIR or the DIR community. This is a strictly AG creation and he does not represent the DIR community.
    And just to be additionally clear that the very procedures, configuration and skill set that you use on your RB80 were procedures, skills and configuration that I developed as the training director directly responsible for "DIR" training.

Andrew

UTD MX Series

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    OK here is my question: How do you mitigate a LP hose failure of any hose connected to the distribution block? It seems loss of any of those hoses causes a complete loss of the aforementioned, BOV, long hose, wing inflator, diluent.
    Dave

That is the great part of the system, if and I mean if you were to lose that, you would simply go back to a traditional side-mount system of independent doubles. To be honest I am more concerned about losing a breathing hose than I am of a LP hose.

Andrew

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgeorgitsis  View Original Post
    Dave

That is the great part of the system, if and I mean if you were to lose that, you would simply go back to a traditional side-mount system of independent doubles. To be honest I am more concerned about losing a breathing hose than I am of a LP hose.

Andrew
    I did not notice any kind of second stage attached to the diluent cylinder. Are you carrying two bottom gas cylinders with one attached to the RB?
    You have a long hose reg and a BOV attached to the gas manifold correct? I am guessing you are carrying a second independent cylinder with second stage or are you carrying a redundant second stage attached to a QC6 with you would plug in? (that was what Jeff showed me on the Z system)
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

UTD MX Series

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I did not notice any kind of second stage attached to the diluent cylinder. Are you carrying two bottom gas cylinders with one attached to the Rebreather?
    You have a long hose reg and a BOV attached to the gas manifold correct? I am guessing you are carrying a second independent cylinder with second stage or are you carrying a redundant second stage attached to a QC6 with you would plug in? (that was what Jeff showed me on the Z system)
    On the Z-System one either an isolated 2nd stage regulator or a bailout regulator on a QC6.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

I thought ratio deco worked with a fixed FO2 not fixed (more or less) PO2? I am curious as this might eliminate the need for the back up tables I am carrying.

Peter

UTD MX Series

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    I thought ratio deco worked with a fixed FO2 not fixed (more or less) PO2? I am curious as this might eliminate the need for the back up tables I am carrying.

Peter
    Peter

Ratio deco has always worked on a range of PPO2 as it is based on OC diving. As you well know OC diving has a range of PPO2 on the bottom and during deco. Essentially ratio deco works well with a PPO2 of 1.0 or higher during the bottom portion and 1.2 or higher during deco. Keep in mind that it is not a table or exact science but a combination of strategies to best suit your team needs. It is based on combining Bulhman, and VPM into a deco strategy for your team. OC or CC.

Andrew

RBW Member AzTek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point AzTek Diver's Avatar

And just to be additionally clear that the very procedures, configuration and skill set that you use on your RB80 were procedures, skills and configuration that I developed as the training director directly responsible for "DIR" training.

Andrew
    I once was a mechanic, a carpenter, a salesman, and several other things, it doesn't mean I'm those things any more. Look at the HH/Golem Flex RB, for a SM RB it shows far better design, sleekness, and flexibility by far, AND I'm sure you could run it manual if you choose. All just my opinion.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

On the Z-System one either an isolated 2nd stage regulator or a bailout regulator on a QC6.
    Sorry but I am still not clear, you have an isolated 2nd stage bailout regulator sharing the main tank or a second tank? Does this mean you have 3 second stages in your system?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast