+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

  1. #1
    RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA, Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    KISS CLASSIC

    Megalodon, Kiss Sport

    UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    Andrew Georgitsis speaks on the UTD - MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather at DEMA 2011





    UTD MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - REBREATHERWORLD.com
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 6th November 2011 at 22:54.

  2. #2
    RBW Member Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T will become famous soon enough Paul T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Doncaster UK
    Posts
    154
    Ouroboros

    Kiss Classic

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    At first i thought this was an interesting set up, but having watched to vid i think it's all a bit messy

    Too many holes plugged so other areas can be opened up. Think it needs a completely new head to make it work right

    Also, not sure about long hose coming off manifold, i would have it from cyl reg, that way, i can isolate cyl from unit and still get gas

    Thanks for posting Curt

    Paul

  3. #3
    Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    3,789
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

    CCR Instructor Trainer

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T  View Original Post
    At first i thought this was an interesting set up, but having watched to vid i think it's all a bit messy

    Too many holes plugged so other areas can be opened up. Think it needs a completely new head to make it work right

    Also, not sure about long hose coming off manifold, i would have it from cyl reg, that way, i can isolate cyl from unit and still get gas

    Thanks for posting Curt

    Paul
    You're being too kind. That is the most convoluted POS I have seen in a while.
    That gas distribution block takes away all redundancy you could have. Lose a LP hose and you lose BOV, long hose gas, dil, wing inflation, what else?
    Besides the fact its got hoses going every which way and as you say too many holes plugged.
    I too have been watching developments in RB sidemount technology but this seems to be veering far to the opposite end of DIR/Hogarthian philosophy.
    Cheers,

    Dave....

    www.wedivebc.com

  4. #4
    RBW Member andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    123
    UTD MX Series

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T  View Original Post
    At first i thought this was an interesting set up, but having watched to vid i think it's all a bit messy

    Too many holes plugged so other areas can be opened up. Think it needs a completely new head to make it work right
    Paul

    I do very my appreciate your opinion and of course we considered it and spoke extensively with Kim on the head redesign. It is possible, however we weighed the financial obligation of a "custom head" vs keeping a standard classic head with the fact that one could simply take their existing KISS Classic and move to side-mount without having to re-purchase a custom head, as well as switch back if desired. Also keep in mind that this design allows one to switch back and fourth very easily between side-mount and back-mount. With that in mind and the fact that it is only three static o-ring sealed plugs plus 3 LP port plugs, it simply did not warrant the argue "additional" failure points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T  View Original Post
    Also, not sure about long hose coming off manifold, i would have it from cyl reg, that way, i can isolate cyl from unit and still get gas

    Thanks for posting Curt

    Paul
    Once again I understand your statement and of course we do have that back-up built into the Z-System, however that would go away from our core UTD convenants of having a donatable long hose. Again, diving a mixed team is core to our philosophy.

    Aandrew

  5. #5
    RBW Member andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis will become famous soon enough andrewgeorgitsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    123
    UTD MX Series

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    You're being too kind. That is the most convoluted POS I have seen in a while.
    Dave

    I always find it quite unbelievable how your posts are filled with envy, venom and obvious "self" serving intention as the factory rep for ISC. From the very beginning of any interaction with you, you have simply misrepresented or made outrageous comments filled with jealousy and silliness, rather than actually argue with any FACT or EXPERIENCE. I encourage you to stop with the personal bashing and try to discuss the pro's of YOUR side-mount rebreather and or rebreather system. Show us some video and skills of your diving and side-mount or rebreather system, so that we can understand "How to do it" your way rather than wait around to continuously hop on the bashing wagon. It jsut detracts from any valuable discussion and certainly clutters up the tread with noise. Or maybe that is your intention, so as to detract others form actually see'ing something worth while. I am simply fed up with this type of unnecessary bashing when I am prepared to answer share information of why we do what it is we do. After spending a great week at DEMA with a lot of other people from RBW who are also interested in sharing information rather than simply bashing people, I too believe they are getting tired of this type of silly post.

    Andrew

  6. #6
    Explorers Exodus Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    912
    rEvo-II

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    When i look at the uncompromizing approach from the DIR community, and then look at UTD and think that's not right?

    If it was anyone else here on RBW that had hacked it together for himself I would just go,OK.
    But its not, it a dir-organization and in this setting it's utter crap!

    That head it utterly wrong for the job, so if you want to do it right you don't use that head, simple as that really.

    Again it just looks as UTD is making grab for everything that is the least bit technical so they have milking-basis for whatever muppet diver that fancies the dir-approach.

    But on the same pages on adm videos there is the beautiful well designed sidemountsystem, which just shows the UTD in stark contrast.

  7. #7
    Closed Account erikradstrom is an unknown quantity at this point erikradstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Örebro Sweden
    Posts
    156
    Inspiration Classic

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    Without any bashing Andrew, I must admit that Dave has a point with the gasblock on the back. It is in a exposed area when you dive sidemount, wouldn´t it be better to have it under the arm om at the side of the scrubber? Maybe use Y splitters so you can divide them and be able to isolate without loosing everything?

  8. #8
    Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    3,789
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

    CCR Instructor Trainer

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    At the risk of "offending you" I will ask a direct question. I have not called you names, I have not made any personal reference to you I am making an observation based on what I saw in a video. If you take it personally that is on you.

    OK here is my question: How do you mitigate a LP hose failure of any hose connected to the distribution block? It seems loss of any of those hoses causes a complete loss of the aforementioned, BOV, long hose, wing inflator, diluent.

    I am not experienced at sidemount rebreather which is why I even clicked on the link to this video. I am unlikely to go produce one with no experience in the field so forgive me if I pass on your challenge, but I know enough about rebreathers to know the sudden loss of your primary and backup system with no redundancy is a bad idea no matter where you mount the scrubber canister.





    Quote Originally Posted by andrewgeorgitsis  View Original Post
    Dave

    I always find it quite unbelievable how your posts are filled with envy, venom and obvious "self" serving intention as the factory rep for ISC. From the very beginning of any interaction with you, you have simply misrepresented or made outrageous comments filled with jealousy and silliness, rather than actually argue with any FACT or EXPERIENCE. I encourage you to stop with the personal bashing and try to discuss the pro's of YOUR side-mount rebreather and or rebreather system. Show us some video and skills of your diving and side-mount or rebreather system, so that we can understand "How to do it" your way rather than wait around to continuously hop on the bashing wagon. It jsut detracts from any valuable discussion and certainly clutters up the tread with noise. Or maybe that is your intention, so as to detract others form actually see'ing something worth while. I am simply fed up with this type of unnecessary bashing when I am prepared to answer share information of why we do what it is we do. After spending a great week at DEMA with a lot of other people from RBW who are also interested in sharing information rather than simply bashing people, I too believe they are getting tired of this type of silly post.

    Andrew
    Cheers,

    Dave....

    www.wedivebc.com

  9. #9
    RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA, Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    KISS CLASSIC

    Megalodon, Kiss Sport

    In all fairness, I will start with I am not a DIR, GUE, or even a UTD fan.

    But, with the exception of the kiss scrubber I felt their sidemount unit was well thought out.

    Utd has specific proceedures they teach and IF followed should prevent incidents....

    I looked much closer at the unit as I was filming it, and I would have to say, I would strap it to me and take a spin.

  10. #10
    RBW Member AzTek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point AzTek Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ/Tulum MX
    Posts
    169

    Re: UTD / MX-Z Sidemount Rebreather

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanssing  View Original Post
    When i look at the uncompromizing approach from the DIR community, and then look at UTD and think that's not right?

    If it was anyone else here on RBW that had hacked it together for himself I would just go,OK.
    But its not, it a dir-organization and in this setting it's utter crap!

    That head it utterly wrong for the job, so if you want to do it right you don't use that head, simple as that really.

    Again it just looks as UTD is making grab for everything that is the least bit technical so they have milking-basis for whatever muppet diver that fancies the dir-approach.

    But on the same pages on adm videos there is the beautiful well designed sidemountsystem, which just shows the UTD in stark contrast.
    Let's make it very clear, there's nothing about this RB that has anything to do with DIR or the DIR community. This is a strictly AG creation and he does not represent the DIR community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts