+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather Travel: Tank + Sorb +02 Timeshare Club?

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Rebreather Travel: Tank + Sorb +02 Timeshare Club?

As relatively new rebreather divers, my wife and I have found it frustrating when trying to plan rebreather trips in terms of determining rebreather support, logistics, etc...

Our local diving sucks, and most of our diving is done while on vacation.

After doing research for our last two trips we gave up on bringing our rebreathers and went o/c as we were not able to source what we needed at those locations. Our rigs are gathering dust.

Choosing dive holidays based on rebreather support as opposed to destination is not our preference.

Has anyone given any thought to setting up a club that places tanks and sorb and 02 at different locations with a type of timeshare option for use?

This would obviously require a shop or local diver to store and maintain the stuff at each location, but I think it is something that could probably be worked out if there was enough interest.

Granted there are a ton of dive destinations, but this could be built up and expanded gradually based on participation / membership over time.

There could be a one time fee for membership and then annual fees based on usage etc...

There could be different memberships for different geographical locations / continents or full memberships for word-wide destinations.

I am not organized enough to set something like this up, but would certainly be interested in contributing to it if it is financially viable and the locations were of interest.

Any thoughts?

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Rebreather Travel: Tank + Sorb +02 Timeshare Club?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Marc  View Original Post
    As relatively new rebreather divers, my wife and I have found it frustrating when trying to plan rebreather trips in terms of determining rebreather support, logistics, etc...
    Any thoughts?
    what describe already exists on a few places

for example: you can do that with rEvo on multiple places in Egypt: Orca dive clubs have rEvo for rent at very good prices, have sorb, O2, helium, tanks... you name it

they also have the 'rebreather pool', similar to what you describe, become member, book a few weeks / year, and then the 'renting' prices are really absurd low

you can do courses with them, refreshing if you need and they have nice divesites, boats...
    Last edited by paulraymaekers; 18th October 2011 at 22:01.
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

I face similar obstacles to the OP, with the additional challenge of being single which means that I am usually travelling solo and end up diving with OC divers which takes away a lot of the benefit of diving CCR.

I have a set of CCR cylinders that I have left in Tulamben, Bali, and sorb is available up there if anyone wants to go CCR diving there. I taught the locals at the resort I use how to decant O2 and that's been fine - they don't charge any extra for this over doing a normal dive.

Anyone staying there is welcome to use the cylinders and the resort is so close to the Liberty Wreck that you literally step from the resort onto the beach then straight into the water and you are the wreck after about a 3 minute swim.

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    I face similar obstacles to the OP, with the additional challenge of being single which means that I am usually travelling solo and end up diving with OC divers which takes away a lot of the benefit of diving CCR.

I have a set of CCR cylinders that I have left in Tulamben, Bali, and sorb is available up there if anyone wants to go CCR diving there. I taught the locals at the resort I use how to decant O2 and that's been fine - they don't charge any extra for this over doing a normal dive.

Anyone staying there is welcome to use the cylinders and the resort is so close to the Liberty Wreck that you literally step from the resort onto the beach then straight into the water and you are the wreck after about a 3 minute swim.
    Is that the Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort across the road of the Liberty Wreck?
    That's good news but most of the Bali tourist dive spots are easily done with a single tank and if for slightly deeper dives an additional stage or simple SM kit.
    I had wanted to bring my breather there last year but after been to Tulamben don't think I needed it for those dives.

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar

Having said that I still like to bring my breather to Bali the next trip if they have some support for RB at Tulamben or other dive resorts there.

Cheers,
    Davy

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Any of you who need Tanks, Sorb, and 02 when flying into South florida, reach out to me. I can take care of any of you ..
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davydive  View Original Post
    Is that the Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort across the road of the Liberty Wreck?
    That's good news but most of the Bali tourist dive spots are easily done with a single tank and if for slightly deeper dives an additional stage or simple SM kit.
    I had wanted to bring my breather there last year but after been to Tulamben don't think I needed it for those dives.
    Oceanview Tulamben resort - it's right on the water.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Hmm.. Sounds like a good place.. Maybe can plan a trip next year.

So I suppose your tanks are modular valves rather than inline (Inspo/rEvo type). How much sorbs did you left behind? I may do a trip again next year and bring some sorbs along too. Thanks for the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Davydive  View Original Post
    So I suppose your tanks are modular valves rather than inline (Inspo/rEvo type). How much sorbs did you left behind? I may do a trip again next year and bring some sorbs along too. Thanks for the offer!
    No - Inline 300 bar valves so should fit no problems. My sorb is the prepacked cartridges for the Discovery - 6 cartridges there so about 18kg.

Your best bet for travel would probably be Air Asia - buy 30kg baggage allowance when you book online, then you pay for a 20kg sporting goods allowance at the airport when you check in. Air Asia has four flights a day from Singapore to Bali.

There are some deeper dives on the north coast that make a rebreather worthwhile, and I believe that helium will be available up there shortly.