+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HID vs LED?

Life starts at 100 rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Classic KISS, Megalodon

HID vs LED?

I want a canister light with a Goodman grip.
    Is the time here when the LEDs can actually match the HIDs?
    Dont care much for Lumen or Kelvin comparisons, price, size or burn time.
    Can a LED penetrate the water like a HID nowadays?

What do you think?

Cheers
    Roger

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Re: HID vs LED?

No and it never will for the simple fact that light is emitted form a LED in a different pattern than from a HID.
    HID emits light at close to 360 degrees with only the ends of the "bulb" shadowing the emission.

LED's emit from the front with various angles, most between 90 degrees ( Cree XR-E) up to 120 degrees ( most others).
    This means that different techniques must be used to focus the light.

So instead of trying to make a LED as good as a HID light you are better off working on the pros of LED's and making it a better light. This is something so many dive light manufactures have missed IMHO.

Look at this pic. On the left is a 21w Salvo. On the right is a 4 x 5 watt LED cluster using aspheric lenses.
    The HID produces a sharp point of light with a fair amount of spill light. It may have a slightly higher LUX than the LED but the LED illuminates a larger area and has no spill light. It penetrates water very well with very little back scatter due to no spill light. It also retains good signalling capabilities.

As far as Lumen per watt goes LED leads the way up to about 30 watt.
    After that HID catches up and starts taking over.

In terms of Kelvin LED wins hands down. You can get many LEDs in just about any Kelvin you want from 3000 to 7000+

Life starts at 100 rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Classic KISS, Megalodon

Thank you for a great answer!
    At the moment Im choosing between a Agir 35w HID and a LED that could possibly match that beast of a light.

Could you recommend something?
    It does have to have a canister style mounting and a Goodman grip.
    Can this be it?
    LED Lights

//R

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

No. Looks like they are using the old Ostar LED. No longer in production and way less efficient compared to say a Cree XML. (10watt up to 1200 lumen).

The XML is a great LED offering the great efficiency. But it does max out at about 1200 lumen.

The SST-90 LED can produce up to 2200 lumen but requires 3 times the power of a XML to do it.

If you want more lumen than that you need to look at multiple LED's.
    This means that you are stuck with multiple SMALL reflectors or optics and this is a problem as you need a big optic or reflector to get a tight beam.

To be honest if I was to buy a commercial can light ( as opposed to making my own) I would look long and hard at the MB Sub withs its focusable aspheric LED set up. ( Cant recall model name)

RBW Member Elmi is an unknown quantity at this point Elmi's Avatar
    JJ-ccr

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Hi Roger

I use a 50W HID from light monkey, a great dive light for me.

However

Some of my dive buddies have purchased the VB-50 from MB-SUB, which we have compared on several occasions. I especially remember at trip in Norway where I shined my light in the dark of the night on a big rock side about 50m from where I was standing. My dive buddy turned on his VB-50 and my focus spot was gone in his, I moved my spot to a different location and he just laughed and moved his on top pf mine again and It was gone

That light should not be underestimated!

One of the big advantages should also be that you can focus the beam on this particular LED light.

mb-sub.com: LED-head VB-50 NEW

It would be a good idea to read the review by mark chase here: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/dive-...focusable.html

/Christian

Temp Read Only Mode blademaster is an unknown quantity at this point blademaster's Avatar
    Dolphin

I bought 7 cree led light for me... torch 5 hours of burning time... Super BUT.. suitable only for technical diving becourse light beam is 6 degrees....

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

one more vouch for mb-sub, speak with michael from mb-sub, he is here on rbw too. great lights, perfect build quality and perfect customer service.....

Nick Cunningham-Moorat scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick's Avatar
    rEvo eXpedition

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi Roger

I use a 50W HID from light monkey, a great dive light for me.

However

Some of my dive buddies have purchased the VB-50 from MB-SUB, which we have compared on several occasions. I especially remember at trip in Norway where I shined my light in the dark of the night on a big rock side about 50m from where I was standing. My dive buddy turned on his VB-50 and my focus spot was gone in his, I moved my spot to a different location and he just laughed and moved his on top pf mine again and It was gone

That light should not be underestimated!

One of the big advantages should also be that you can focus the beam on this particular LED light.

mb-sub.com: LED-head VB-50 NEW

It would be a good idea to read the review by mark chase here: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/dive-...focusable.html

/Christian
    I just love my VB-50... so much that I have 2 of them. This is after trolling through 3 Sartek HID's which I still have. The only issue I have had with them has been firmly between the goodman handle and my rebreather...ie me... my latest stupidity meant i rolling off the side of a rib with the umbilical hooked accidentally around a boat handle.... my buddy found me at 50m holding a lone umbilical... no longer attached to the cannister... he thought it was rather amusing until i tried to beat him with the wet end:)
    I have since stripped it down completely and can honestly say the workmanship is fantastic.
    Later

Nick

RBW Member ninjadoc47 is an unknown quantity at this point ninjadoc47's Avatar
    Draeger Doplhin, Lar V

thouhgt no super expert both have their pros and cons, I have both, I have a DR 10W hid and if I or a team member goes through a bit of a tight space and there is silt or a cave that has been dove a bit recently I've found that led's work well without th backscatter and glare return, so there are uses for both. cheers, also for the am u/w snapper leds' are good to avoid glare and backscattter, butfor penetration and tight spot straight ahead illumination I like hids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast