+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pulmonary Oedema incident

RBW Member JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes's Avatar

Re: Pulmonary Oedema incident

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Lotz  View Original Post
    Doesn't sound like a panic attack. Panicking people usually act hypoxic but they usually struggle with the skin colour changes. Definitely sounds like hypoxia secondarily to the pulm. oedema. The only thing is what the cause of pulmonary oedema is? Have you had a trans-oesophageal echo or trans-thoracic echo of your heart done? Send a message to Dr. Simon Mitchell-I always find his input very helpfull. You said the rebreather was functioning 100% correctly- did someone do a dive afterwards on it?
    I don't think it was a panic attack either. It's annoying that I can't put my finger on exactly how I felt when the incident happened. And it gets harder over time. I thought initially that I felt I couldn't breathe and that I was going to pass out. But I can't be sure whether that's accurate or retro-fitted. I do know that I thought something catastrophic was happening to me.

In terms of being hypoxic, my understanding/thoughts is that the oedema reduces oxygen available for circulation hence the reason I was cyanatic. My loop was at no time hypoxic and I bailed out on OC all the way to the surface.

I'm seeing a cardio on Friday - more answers may be forthcoming then. And I've already been in dialogue with Simon Mitchell who has been very helpful and supportive.

With regard to the unit working ok. Hmmm, no, no-one has dived the unit since. But stripping it down to clean it nothing looked awry. I guess a more thorough check might be a good idea although perhaps it's a bit late for that. I was initially concerned that I had packed one of my scrubbers too tightly but I haven't given that theory much thought lately.

John

RBW Member Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

I don't know the Revo but are you sure the machine was calibrated correctly, because calibration errors are virtually impossible to recognize due to the sensors showing the correct PO2 although the loop might be hypoxia/hyperoxic. Did you get any headaches and hot flushes? Was your breathing rate increased? You weren't using any medication? Anything else/odd thing that you might have noticed for a long time before this accident, not necessarily while diving? Was it the first time that you started to develop wheezing when doing exercises?

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Thanks for the post, and cudos to having the strenght of character to survive this incident. Please keep us updated as to your findings on the cause, in particular the tie in with hypertension.
    Hopefully you will get answers and return to your passion which we all share keep us in the loop.
    Gabe

RBW Member JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes's Avatar

I don't know the Revo but are you sure the machine was calibrated correctly, because calibration errors are virtually impossible to recognize due to the sensors showing the correct PO2 although the loop might be hypoxia/hyperoxic. Did you get any headaches and hot flushes? Was your breathing rate increased? You weren't using any medication? Anything else/odd thing that you might have noticed for a long time before this accident, not necessarily while diving? Was it the first time that you started to develop wheezing when doing exercises?
    We calibrated before the dive. Simon also checked while I was doing this. Can't rule it out but seems unlikely. I didn't any headaches or hot flushes. Breathing rate was normal. I was on medication but nothing that I hadn't taken when diving before (and it's a particular topic I can't get into for the moment).

The only odd thing was that I got the wheezing on the dive the day before. Never had this on any other dive, ever. And the only other time I've wheezed was when I was a child when I had mild asthma (that went from growing up and swimming).

@DivingAbe - yep, I'll take a little kudos for willing my way through. 99.999% of the cred tho goes to Simon and the boat crew. Without them no amount of inner strength would have mattered a damn.

I'll keep you guys posted as and when I discover more answers.

John

Arthur Pridham chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525's Avatar

Hi John
    Thanks for posting and having the courage to post this incident so the rest of us can learn and be aware of what can happen I hope you find out what caused it and you get back to diving

Arthur

RBW Member Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

It doesn't sound like a CO2 hit. Has this ever happened to you while doing OC dives? How many CC dives have you done and to which depths?

After my O2 hit I had this wheezing and coughing and I have a PFO (only found that out afterwards) which I'm planning to have closed in the near future. I notice this burning feeling over my front chest surface after about 10min after surfacing from a dive like someone is pouring a jug full of warm water over my chest. This only happens when I dive deeper than about 70m. You didn't experience any of these symptoms that I just described?

It doesn't sound like a CO2 hit. Has this ever happened to you while doing OC dives? How many CC dives have you done and to which depths?

After my O2 hit I had this wheezing and coughing and I have a PFO (only found that out afterwards) which I'm planning to have closed in the near future. I notice this burning feeling over my front chest surface after about 10min after surfacing from a dive like someone is pouring a jug full of warm water over my chest. This only happens when I dive deeper than about 70m. You didn't experience any of these symptoms that I just described?
    Nope nothing like this (wheezing) as ever happened to me prior to the day prior to the incident. I've a couple of hundred OC dives and about 17 hours on CCR. The deepest I've been is about 42m but a lot of OC dives 35-40m. Deepest CCR dive prior to this incident was 35m, the day before.

Might be noteworthy though that I got the wheezing on the day prior to the incident at ~20m (although I was working hard).

And no, didn't have the symptoms you described. In a nutshell mine were:
    1. Wheezing (at depth)
    2. Tingling lips (at depth)
    3. Not sure, something very bad, thinking was going to pass out (at depth)
    4. Not able to breathe, no other sensation (on surface)

Cheers,
    John

Martini Diver Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW is just really nice Simon TW's Avatar
    rEvo III Expedition + others

rEvo Meg AP Sentinel KISS

Good to see that it's in the open for the community to hopefully learn about IPE. It's not a topic that I knew much about until this indecent.

There was no problem with the unit, it was assembled and calibrated correctly, John was under instruction so I was overseeing this. We had been doing drills and a diluent flush would have confirmed the cell readings.

As soon as I was off O2 we took a download off the Shearwater and there was nothing unusual.

When I took John up and got him on the surface he couldn't talk he was fighting for breath and he managed to squeak that he couldn't breathe.

When we got him to the boat I told them that I thought that he had had a heart attack.

When the doctors in the hospital said that he had sea water in his lungs I didn't believe it. He was on the reg and did not exhibit any signs of drowning like coughing and choking. However there was fluid evident on the Xray. Like I said I knew little of IPE then and I only know a little more now but I do know when there's a CCR problem and John didn't have one.

Hi Simon,

Good to hear from you. Just to back up what Simon said and what I said in my report - I do not consider this a rebreather accident, I consider it a medical one. I am 100% confident the unit operated as expected.

Simon, quick question for you as I don't remember much of the ascent - what were your impressions of my condition at that time? Did I seem O'K or not?

Thx,
    John

Thanks,
    John

Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

No, your problem has got me baffled as well. Heart attack, IPE, decompression illness, Hypercapnoea, electrolyte disturbance, medication side effect, underlying viral disease, exercise indused asthma with CO2 retention-that would be my wild guesses-anyway, let us know if you have any news after seeing the cardiologist. Glad you didn't become part of statistics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast