+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PNG Air Niugini excess baggage

Brian Mecklem Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7's Avatar
    PRISM 2, EXPLORER

PRISM TOPAZ

PNG Air Niugini excess baggage

We are about to travel Cairns, Port Moresby, Alotau and return all on Air Niugini. Does anyone have any recent experience on baggage issues. Eg are limits strictly enforced? Apparently carry on is only 5kg. - not much for cameras and housings etc. There are additional allowances for divers for checked baggage however there is a horror post elsewhere on RBW about a $3400 excess baggage charge, hence the reason for my query

Brian

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: PNG Air Niugini excess baggage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7  View Original Post
    We are about to travel Cairns, Port Moresby, Alotau and return all on Air Niugini. Does anyone have any recent experience on baggage issues. Eg are limits strictly enforced? Apparently carry on is only 5kg. - not much for cameras and housings etc. There are additional allowances for divers for checked baggage however there is a horror post elsewhere on RBW about a $3400 excess baggage charge, hence the reason for my query

Brian
    Having flown with Air Niugini several times, I can only say that the only thing consistent about their policies is that they are completely inconsistent! You will find that each leg will be completely different, and you will never be able to plan how much you will or will not pay at any given time. (Or if the flight will even arrive or take off for that matter!)

Good luck!

Regards,
    Randy

RBW Member Stingray is an unknown quantity at this point Stingray's Avatar
    KISS & Poseidon Discovery

Drager Atlantis

Hi

If it helps, matters were raised with Air Niugini recently and this has been the response

Please accept my apologies for the delay in confirming the above information relating to dive baggage allowance. We have had discussions with our colleagues from Service Delivery and explained how critical it was for PX to maintain the current dive baggage allowance in terms of maintaining a competitive edge. It was explained by them that the revision of the baggage rules was to ensure we were compliant with IATA recommendations of general baggage rules, however they added that it was possible to give consideration to other categories with specific requirements.

We have since responded to Service Delivery recommending that the current dive baggage allowance of 15kgs be maintained and Service Delivery are in the process of re-drafting this particular section. It will be sent to us shortly for final checks, however we assure you that the 15kgs dive baggage allowance will continue to be a special baggage offer for diving clientelle travelling to/from & around PNG.

In addition to this, Service Delivery will be confirming the piece baggage allowance for our information. We shall advise this ruling as well once the draft has been completed, approved and authorised.

We request that all dive clients liaise with PNGDA office or Tours Department (Flights to Papua New Guinea | Airlines PNG | New Guinea Travel or Flights to Papua New Guinea | Airlines PNG | New Guinea Travel) to clarify and confirm the 15kgs additional dive baggage allowance until such time as the Airport Services Manual is revised & printed.

Hope this helps

Craig.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7  View Original Post

Brian

Hello Brian, it's been a while since I was in PNG, and things may have changed since, but I never paid excess baggage charges on any of my 4 trips there. I believe that even back in 04', Air Niugini had published excess baggage rules which were pretty expensive and restrictive. But my approach in dealing with the Air Niugini agents was as follows and was recommended to me by the Capt. of the PNG liveaboard I dived with...

As long as my bags were not overweight for the international leg of the flight, the Air Niugini agent, or any other domestic carrier should honor the international baggage allowance, especially since at the time they were the only carrier flying out of Asia into PNG-If they didn't charge me excess in Singapore boarding the Air Niugini international flight, how can they charge me for it continuing on to Alotau? For this reason, you may want to consider flying with Air Niugini from Australia as they can hardly defend being inconsistent with their allowances going from international to domestic on their own airline. I have used this tact on all trips to Indonesia as well and it has worked almost as well. The issue I have found, is that in granting a continuance of the baggage allowance from international to domestic, it gives the agents cover for denying the nationals who are only flying domestic the same slack and who will bring lots of excess baggage in the form of food and electronics going to relatives or the black market. In other words, the baggage limitations are there for a reason, and that reason is to keep the natives from routinely bringing on excess baggage, but can be waived for the few international travelers who are bringing dive gear which is clearly not for resale and who are spending large amounts of money in the local economies of these far flung destinations. It's all about allowing the gate agents/managers a way to save face for having 2 different policies for international travelers and for locals. I have heard them explain all this to irked locals on my domestic flights several times.

All that being said, the best way to make the most of such an elastic policy is to put your CCR, minus the cylinders and back plate, in your carry-on and make sure it is the wheeled type and stays on the ground so they can't infer how heavy it is. If they make you weigh it, open it up and explain how fragile and expensive it is and they will most likely still let you on with it. On one trip to PNG, I managed to get two 36lbs pails of sorb, one in each checked bag and all my other dive gear-70lbs per bag the limit for US international flights-and carried on my Prism in a wheeled bag. I was able to dive for a month, almost 100 hrs of the most awesome diving in northern PNG...

Good luck, I hope things haven't changed too much in the last few years, -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 29th May 2011 at 18:43.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray  View Original Post
    Hi

If it helps, matters were raised with Air Niugini recently and this has been the response

Please accept my apologies for the delay in confirming the above information relating to dive baggage allowance. We have had discussions with our colleagues from Service Delivery and explained how critical it was for PX to maintain the current dive baggage allowance in terms of maintaining a competitive edge. It was explained by them that the revision of the baggage rules was to ensure we were compliant with IATA recommendations of general baggage rules, however they added that it was possible to give consideration to other categories with specific requirements.

We have since responded to Service Delivery recommending that the current dive baggage allowance of 15kgs be maintained and Service Delivery are in the process of re-drafting this particular section. It will be sent to us shortly for final checks, however we assure you that the 15kgs dive baggage allowance will continue to be a special baggage offer for diving clientelle travelling to/from & around PNG.

In addition to this, Service Delivery will be confirming the piece baggage allowance for our information. We shall advise this ruling as well once the draft has been completed, approved and authorised.

We request that all dive clients liaise with PNGDA office or Tours Department (Flights to Papua New Guinea | Airlines PNG | New Guinea Travel or Flights to Papua New Guinea | Airlines PNG | New Guinea Travel) to clarify and confirm the 15kgs additional dive baggage allowance until such time as the Airport Services Manual is revised & printed.

Hope this helps

Craig.

Hi Craig, great to see you here on RBW! Thanks for posting the info, hope Air Niugini have the good sense to continue the policy into the future... _Andy

Brian Mecklem Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7's Avatar
    PRISM 2, EXPLORER

PRISM TOPAZ

Thanks all, we will see how it goes. From what has been said I suspect the check in at Cairns maybe where problems may occur.

With airlines seeming to change their policies every summer it's hard to be sure of what the baggage limits are. Many airlines have charged additional fees for excess baggage and check bags. The reason behind this is that air travel is not a very profitable business. It looks that airline fees will stay as airlines continue to get worse.

RBW Member Mr_Pyro is an unknown quantity at this point Mr_Pyro's Avatar
    Pelagian

Air Niugini allows one extra bag with dive equipment 15 kg if I recall correctly. I traveled around the place in Nov 2013.

+ Reply to Thread