+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how do you trim your scooter?

1 half of Team Flasheart pingu570 is an unknown quantity at this point pingu570's Avatar
    VR Sentinel

how do you trim your scooter?

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a UV-18 scooter and I am wondering how you guys prefer the weighting to be on your scooter (regardless of make)

I know that I will have to persevere with getting the exact weight for mine eventually.

But, my main point is this:- is it preferable for a scooter to be neutrally buoyant; ever so slightly positively buoyant or slightly negatively buoyant?

Forgive me if I am asking a "numpty" question, I would just like feedback as to how you dive yours and why.

Thanks in advance,

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Re: how do you trim your scooter?

Both my Gavin and UV18 were always very slightly negative in fresh water. I kept it for caving so having it sink (slowly) was perfect as they could be left on the line without drifting off.

All The Gear, No Idea windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller's Avatar

I have mine slightly positively buoyant....This way when you stow it, it shouldnt get in the way

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

For caving I like to get mine as neutral as possible, and if not I'd rather err on it being slightly positive. That way when you leave it on a line it doesn't drop down and disturbe the cave's floor (and vice versa when you pick it back up) + it drives easier when neutral.

In salt water, where you have to add 3/4 -1# more weight for an 18, I want it positive or slightly so. It's not the perfect trim when hanging on a deco line but at least if you lose it (tow line breaks, etc.) it's going to float to the surface where there's some chance that it can be recovered.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

1 half of Team Flasheart pingu570 is an unknown quantity at this point pingu570's Avatar
    VR Sentinel

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your input

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

The closer to neutral the better she rides. I like slightly positive. @ 100' mine will float up slowly but the weight of a double ender is enough to sink it. When I clip it on the line it stays out of the mud. Keep in mind your 18 will be slightly heavier at depth than at the surface because the O-Rings that seal the tube to the tail and nose will compress a bit. Not a great deal but enough that if you have her perfectly neutral at the surface she will be slightly negative at depth.
    I use stick on wheel weights when trimming a scooter out. Put enough on the tube at the surface to be neutral and positioned for level trim. Take the scooter to your target depth and remove the small weights till she floats the way you want. Now you know how much weight and where it needs to be. Takes the guesswork out.

RAL

VR Sentinel

Hi RAL.

Now, that DOES sound like a great idea!

Thank-you

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pingu570  View Original Post
    Hi RAL.

Now, that DOES sound like a great idea!

Thank-you
    No problem. Just to clarify a point. I do not leave the wheel weights on the out side of the hull permanently. I put the weight inside after it is all sorted out.

Cheers
    RAL

VR Sentinel

You don`t say!!!

Seriously, thanks for the tip. It`s a great idea

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Just about to start re weighting the CUDA, its got stuff on it now, be interesting to see what it does tomorrow in the ocean.

Also first run with the new Prop from Dive Xtras
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast