+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to rebreathers from Los Angeles

RBW Member eizan70 is an unknown quantity at this point eizan70's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery MK VI

New to rebreathers from Los Angeles

Hi

I've been diving in southern california for years and recently have been doing my NAUI dive masters course and became interesting in rebreathers through my instructor.

I am now taking my advanced Nitrox and intro to tech classes with hope of taking rebreather course this summer.

I have really been looking into the Poseidon MKVI, since my interests still lie in recreational diving.

I've been reading all your postings on this site and have found the information extremely helpful.

Thanks for the sharing of your knowledge and experience.

Gerald

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Re: New to rebreathers from Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by eizan70  View Original Post
    ...and became interesting in rebreathers through my instructor.
    That's another one Borg'ed.

'Interested' is how it starts.

So... What can we tell you to complete the process?

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by eizan70  View Original Post
    Hi

I've been diving in southern california for years and recently have been doing my NAUI dive masters course and became interesting in rebreathers through my instructor.

I am now taking my advanced Nitrox and intro to tech classes with hope of taking rebreather course this summer.

I have really been looking into the Poseidon MKVI, since my interests still lie in recreational diving.

I've been reading all your postings on this site and have found the information extremely helpful.

Thanks for the sharing of your knowledge and experience.

Gerald
    I would suggest you have a hard look at all rebreathers as all CCRs can be dived to recreational NDL limits - As a new CCR diver, a number of training programs only want you to dive your rebreather NDL for the first 40-50 hours before moving on to 200' normoxic training and beyond.

If you decide to move beyond recreational limits, how easy can your rebreather be reconfigured to take advantaged of extended range diving.

Specific rebreather manufacturers may sell "ease of use" but that does not mean other rebreathers are hard to use.

Dwayne
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 21st April 2011 at 20:15.

Poseidon Discovery MK VI

Thanks Guys, Yeah I am pretty much set on getting a rebreather this summer.

As I was trying to be brief in my intro, I didn't go into all the detail on my rebreather research, but my interest in the poseidon also extends to pricing as well as features With a new daughter at home I think I can convince the wife to let me go with the poseidon. I guess what I am really saying is it may be the poseidon or nothing, and my instructor speaks very highly of it and for my situation thinks it is a good choice. (he also dives 2 rebreathers other than the poseidon regularly.)

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Obviously two choices to purchasing a rebreather...

1. After research, find a great instructor and purchase what they are certified to teach on/sell.

2. After research, find a great rebreather and then find a great instructor who is certified for the unit you want to purchase.

I went with choice 2.

For the amount of money a rebreather plus training and ongoing consumables costs. $1000-2000 here or there is not a make or break decision on a specific model...

Dwayne
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 21st April 2011 at 23:50.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Look carefully at the revo. A base manual config is pretty well priced, with the opportunity to go full hybrid later. It's expandable AND affordable - and can be dived to some serious depths. Also Robin down in San Diego is a great instructor, so you would have a good local support line.

Donlt just buy the rebreather your instructor suggests. In fact it's good to change instructor from time to time. Buy what makes sense in the long run.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Cave Dwellers Dive Club Marc Bryan is on a distinguished road Marc Bryan is on a distinguished road Marc Bryan's Avatar
    rEvo III Standard

I agree with Andrew. You should take a good look at the rEvo.

Poseidon Discovery MK VI

Thanks,

I will look further into it, that isn't one of the manufacturers I had previously looked at. At a cursory glance pricing does seem to fall into my budget though.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Looking at the rEvo pricelist on their website, I see a mCCR with basic revodream package is 4630 Euro, or at todays exchange rate, $6733.87

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

you may also consider
    KISS classic 6200
    Copis II 6700
    which are also great units which can be upgraded in the future to meet expanding dive wishes.
    Point being look and try different units and input your future needs to make your decision.
    Most of us have started with one unit and either personalized it by mods and then found that some other unit was now meeting our needs. Do not be hung up on only the pricing of a new unit, should one meet your whishes and future needs there are always good and reasonably priced used ones available. One other consideration would be the ease of maintenance and availabillity of replacement parts should they be necessary. Some of the manufacturers use many of the parts which are easily availble from any divecenter in addition to their unit specific parts.
    Just a few thoughts by the way welcome on the board it is always nice to have a new convert to the dark side.

Gabe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast