+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Palawan (Los Angeles)

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

Palawan (Los Angeles)

For a variety of reasons (Weather, small leaks in the rebreather, and a cave trip) I've not had the rebreather in the water in a little while.

Finally, I got the Golem Shrimp BOV, and addressed a couple of other small leaks, and had a unit that looked diveable. If only the weather would cooperate.

The plan was to accompany a tech1 class on their experience dives to a local artificial reef off of Palos Verdes/Redondo Beach, called "The Palawan" (sadly not the Palawan of the Philippines)

This was a Liberty class ship, approx 440 feet long 57 feet wide, and sunk in about 125 feet of water.

The top deck is in 105, and you can probably hit 130 in the sand, or in the channel in the bottom of the wreck (that runs pretty much the length of the ship), but it's easy to average about 110 feet, making for a nice way to test out the new BOV, and for a shakedown.

Luckily, the worst of the weather passed us by, leaving us green water but only a gentle swell. Plan was 30-40 mins at 110, with just 5-10 mins of deco.

Vis was a very green 15-20 feet max, but the rebreather performed just fine, no leaks, and the BOV breathed great. I practiced going between OC and CC mode a few times, and I definitely need to rework some muscle memory from the old BOV here.

We covered the entire wreck twice on the scooters, spotting a sea lion, and some nice schools of fish.

The ascent went about as well as could be expected. Definitely not as clean as on Open Circuit, but definitely an improvement on previous efforts.

I'm attaching a short "fun" video I took with the cam attached to the scooter. Obviously not going to win any oscars, but just a fun video.

YouTube - Palawan Fun Dive
    ">
    YouTube - Palawan Fun Dive
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    Last edited by Nick Ambrose; 12th April 2011 at 06:09.

+ Reply to Thread