+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing to Lithuim Scooter Batteries

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Changing to Lithuim Scooter Batteries

I am considering changing my Sierra std Nicad batteries to Lithium. Has anyone already done this and like to share your experiences.

Thanks,

Lance

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Changing to Lithuim Scooter Batteries

Isn't that what the Sierra Fury is?

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Isn't that what the Sierra Fury is?
    Hey Ken, it is but we can't get them shipped to Australia without a lot of trouble. I'd doubt we are the only ones in this situation and sure someone has already done the exercise of replacing the Nicad cells with Lithiums......

Hence the post.

Regards,

Lance

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Hey Ken, it is but we can't get them shipped to Australia without a lot of trouble. I'd doubt we are the only ones in this situation and sure someone has already done the exercise of replacing the Nicad cells with Lithiums......

Hence the post.

Regards,

Lance
    We ship down under fairly routinely.

Cost is largely a function of your proximity to large airports.

I'd suggest that large, high capacity Li-Ion packs are not a great DIY project.

Tobin

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post

I'd suggest that large, high capacity Li-Ion packs are not a great DIY project.

Tobin
    As long as you buy good parts especially control boards it is a fairly easy project. I have made several now and know a few others that have done their own as well. I prefer the LiFE cells myself. they do not have the capacity of a Li-Poly but they have twice the cycles and are much more forgiving. i.e. are not known to catch fire or explode as easily.

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loanwolf  View Original Post
    As long as you buy good parts especially control boards it is a fairly easy project. I have made several now and know a few others that have done their own as well. I prefer the LiFE cells myself. they do not have the capacity of a Li-Poly but they have twice the cycles and are much more forgiving. i.e. are not known to catch fire or explode as easily.
    If you know how to spec the right cells, control electronics and charger, and what good practices are for assembly then I might agree.

OTOH if you know how to do these things you don't need to ask how to do it on a public forum............

LiFE? Largely a waste of time IMO, the gain in Capacity over NiMh is hardly worth the effort.

The claimed advantage of greater cycle life for LiFE is just that, claimed.
    I'd much rather start with a much higher initial capacity. Higher capacity batteries will be discharged much less deeply, and can suffer a much larger loss of initial capacity before they need replacement than a smaller pack.

Tobin

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

I feel a bit shy of asking this here, but please bear in mind that my dives with rebreather are purely recreational (OW, little decos, not deeper than 40 meters).

I would like to extend the runtime of my old AV-1 Apollo scooter.

The original battery has been replaced, and now has a SLA/12V/30AH that gives me 90 minutes.

Any recommendation for going to 120 minutes (or more) ? If possible with less weight, as I am beginning to show the age

Quote Originally Posted by andrespp  View Original Post
    I feel a bit shy of asking this here, but please bear in mind that my dives with rebreather are purely recreational (OW, little decos, not deeper than 40 meters).

I would like to extend the runtime of my old AV-1 Apollo scooter.

The original battery has been replaced, and now has a SLA/12V/30AH that gives me 90 minutes.

Any recommendation for going to 120 minutes (or more) ? If possible with less weight, as I am beginning to show the age
    Changing battery technology won't make your scooter any lighter. It still needs to be neutral, and that's a function of displaced volume.

There are of course lighter scooters with much improved runtimes.

A Dive X Sierra is ~37-38 lbs and when equipped with a high Capacity Li-Ion pack these have run *5 Miles*

A Dive X Cuda Fury is ~43 lbs, offers greater cruise range and very high top speeds.

Tobin

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    If you know how to spec the right cells, control electronics and charger, and what good practices are for assembly then I might agree.

OTOH if you know how to do these things you don't need to ask how to do it on a public forum............

LiFE? Largely a waste of time IMO, the gain in Capacity over NiMh is hardly worth the effort.

The claimed advantage of greater cycle life for LiFE is just that, claimed.
    I'd much rather start with a much higher initial capacity. Higher capacity batteries will be discharged much less deeply, and can suffer a much larger loss of initial capacity before they need replacement than a smaller pack.

Tobin
    I was having to replace my NiMh just over every 6 months or so. they would start to drop off fast after 500 cycles. the LiFE set I have over 1500hrs and is still going strong. If I have to buy a new $2400 battery every few years I am not going to go down that road myself. are you going to get 500, 1000, or 2000 cycles out of them?
    Last edited by Loanwolf; 25th March 2011 at 17:00.

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

RB80 Clone, CastoroC96, RGU

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    I am considering changing my Sierra std Nicad batteries to Lithium. Has anyone already done this and like to share your experiences.

Thanks,

Lance
    would also be very interested in replies to this question as we have 3 Sierras and are at the same situation

at an earlier RBW post was mentioned a similar conversion using this:
    24V 30AH V2.5 LiFePO4 Battery Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast