+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: looking into going rebeather

RBW Member danpgauthier is an unknown quantity at this point danpgauthier's Avatar

looking into going rebeather

i am just doing some reseach on rebeathers
    what is a good rebreather that is verry easy to use but can be upgraded as i get more technical

i am tec deep and tec cave will be doing tri mix soon or rebeather

so soom advice would be apreciated

RBW Member Zuercher is an unknown quantity at this point Zuercher's Avatar
    JJ-CCR,Triton M3S

Ap Inspiration Classic

Re: looking into going rebeather

My answer, without any doubt, is JJ-CCR. It's also technical without any upgrade. Dream to dive and maintain.
    Seriously, you have to look every approach to dive with CCR, pick your own dream setup and go for it. Mine is JJ, maybe you see things totally other way and you prefer choose another unit with another ideology behind it.

little man, big dreams tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude's Avatar
    JJ CCR..

welcome mate.
    I'm a newby too. and im waiting on a jj now.
    what was critical to my learning curve:
    * Talk to rebreather divers, find out what they like and what the want in a unit
    * read lots. i recommend rebreathers simplified by Mel clarke.
    I also printed the user manuals of every rebreather i could find, and read them all. there is a fun article called the bucket rebreather on here. it is good for those asking why you want one.
    *write a list of the basic criteria needed with oyur unit.
    so basic things, like front coutner lungs or back mounted, scr,eccr,mccr etc, also have some " preferred criteria" little extra bits you like about some units, add them in as you go, put a no list too, where u dont like something.. soon your list of units becomes small.
    *read posts. especially reviews, problems, for sale. noticing how quick second hand units sell, (or dont ) is a good indicator too.
    *try as many units as you can, in the water
    * remember insulting someone's ccr is akin to insulting their wife, so be tactful and remember they will be biased, you too soon will be.
    * finally, contact the suppliers, if they are helpful and knowledgeable, and dont mind sharing info on their unit they are proud of it, the less they want you to know, what are they hiding?
    I hope the process i used to find my ideal unit helps you find yours!
    just remember the ultimate decision relies upon you.

Wannabe...diven sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit's Avatar
    the best oNe

You came to the right place for unbiased opinions. I recommend Mel Clark's book "rebreathers simplified" which will walk you throug a lot of the basics of rebreathers overall then goes into indepth build and maintenace explinations.

I love my rEvo, can't imagine it being any simpler and it's bomb proof.

Good luck

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Depends on your view on CCR diving.

I personally think a MCCR like the KISS or rEvo is an excellent tool to learn to dive CCR on. They will do any dive your ever likely to want but the basic MCCR models of the rEvo and KISS don't have decompression computers built in as standard and they can be costly to add.

For that reason id suggest the JJ Hybrid and learn to dive it in MCCR mode before falling back and relying on the ECCR system.

ECCR is great but MCCR gives you such insight into how a CCR works i feel its a valuable learning experience to dive one.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Agreed with what everyone else has said, but will add --- skip OC trimix..

Move on to CCR MOD-1.. Then take your Normoxic and Full Trimix on your CCR.. Saves a ton of time, money, you will basically cover the same curriculum, but as how it relates to CCR's.

With a good CCR Trimix instructor (obviously the key factor here) I don't see waiting until after you take OC trimix to go CCR. Unless you really plan to keep using your doubles whilst going deep... and if that is the case, go out and get a loan for all the helium you will have to buy when using the doubles ...

Good luck!!

John

Supporting Member IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ has a spectacular aura about IART HQ's Avatar

Have a look at the training materials of the agencies you can get for a Rebreather training.
    IART does not have a generic manual tor Rebreathers, IART has specific materials for the most Rebreathers.
    Ask the instructor about the experience he has. Not all instructor can teach on each unit and please do not guess that the more the merrier.

BR
    Chris

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Zuercher  View Original Post
    My answer, without any doubt, is JJ-CCR. It's also technical without any upgrade. Dream to dive and maintain.
    Seriously, you ha
    ve to look every approach to dive with CCR, pick your own dream setup and go for it. Mine is JJ, maybe you see things totally other way and you prefer choose another unit with another ideology behind it.
    Just wanted to help to decode the above post.

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Just wanted to help to decode the above post.
    LOL! Very clever!

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

basically you have to get out and test dive as many units as you can! like you would a new motor given most are the same investment.

Think about testing and R&D as you may need it some day.

having dived and owned several units i can say the meg is always a strong contender!!

New Sentinel Optimcon is bar far the most technically advanced and a well made unit and the JJ-CCR is solid unit for it price with a super simple design that need very little modification from stock unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast