+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Armadillo Sidemount Cave Diving Fun

Explorer, educator JBernstein is an unknown quantity at this point JBernstein's Avatar
    Evolution

Re: Armadillo Sidemount Cave Diving Fun

Quote Originally Posted by RogerioWagner  View Original Post
    Hi Curt,

I'm just curious, Josh Bernstein on the video is the same guy from Discovery Channel?

I'm a big fan of his program, and if it's same person, my compliments he improved a lot his diving skills.
    Thanks, Rogerio. Bom dia! I actually took some time during the past three years to focus on diving a lot. Got my Full Cave, Advanced Wreck and CCR certs. My thanks to Curt for introducing me to Ginnie Springs and other great caves in Florida. Looking forward to next month's expedition in Mexico

I'm proud to be a CCR diver (and new RBW.com member) and look forward to making more friends in this community. Oh, and I do think I'll end up cave diving with a helmet in the future. I'm in the process of getting one now.

ADM / RBW Staff Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I rarely wear a hood...The chicks dig the scars! Plus it helps me to bald faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Alby scubakitmarket  View Original Post
    nice vid but was a bit surprised not to see any protective head gear in such confined spaces one of the guys never even had a hood on to me that equals pain especially with my baldy head

nice one

alby

ADM / RBW Staff Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Actually we are working with a supplier to develop a polycarbonate version of the FAST BUMP Helmet (currently carbon fiber). We are expecting to take one to Mexico with us in January for testing and evaluation. The need for polycarbonate is to drastically reduce the cost over hand laid carbon fiber.

The benefit of this type of helmet is that it can be used for both climbing and diving and doesn't have the support systems that generally gives you a higher profile (Ecrin Roc, etc). Additionally, it will have rails on the sides to allow for light stowage and a very secure chin fastening system. It will also have a forward mount that supports video cameras such as the GoPro HD cameras.
    Last edited by Walter Pickel; 28th December 2010 at 16:23.

KISS Classic

my compliments he improved a lot his diving skills.
    Josh and I talked about skills. He is a firm believer in the mastery aspect of skills and is very very good in the water. I did a short blog article about that discussion and my thoughts on the subject here - CaveAtlas.com » Blog » The Mastery of Cave Diving

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Great diving, greath video.

Cheers Ossi

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Pickel  View Original Post
    Actually we are working with a supplier to develop a polycarbonate version of the FAST BUMP Helmet (currently carbon fiber). We are expecting to take one to Mexico with us in January for testing and evaluation. The need for polycarbonate is to drastically reduce the cost over hand laid carbon fiber.

The benefit of this type of helmet is that it can be used for both climbing and diving and doesn't have the support systems that generally gives you a higher profile (Ecrin Roc, etc). Additionally, it will have rails on the sides to allow for light stowage and a very secure chin fastening system. It will also have a forward mount that supports video cameras such as the GoPro HD cameras.
    I presume that an additional benefit is that it will be a little cheaper?

RBW Member RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner has a spectacular aura about RogerioWagner's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7/Predator

CUDA 650

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    A good alternative is replicas usually used in airsoft and scenario paintball.

This chinese website have a MICH replica for about $75 (free shipping).
    EbairSoft Airsoft parts & Tactical Gear - G MICH 2001 Helmet with NVG Mount N Side Rail ( Black ) HEL00077

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

A good alternative is replicas usually used in airsoft and scenario paintball.

This chinese website have a MICH replica for about $75 (free shipping).
    EbairSoft Airsoft parts & Tactical Gear - G MICH 2001 Helmet with NVG Mount N Side Rail ( Black ) HEL00077

I have a real carbon fiber helmet coming in and hope to test it on my next YUCATAN expedition. I am more interested on how it will feel underwater than in the dry portion of the cave.

I will follow up with a review

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    Yes, it will be in the sub $200 range. I would be leary of the knock-off helmets if you are really intending on using it. I don't want to risk a fall to a cheap helmet.

Closed Account R N is an unknown quantity at this point R N's Avatar

How many versions have there been of the Armadillo and what are the differences between them?