+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sofnolime 797 get clumped

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Re: Sofnolime 797 get clumped

How hard were you working on the dive?

Sorb clumps more with dust so sorb from the end of a container may clump more...

When I empty my scrubber I slowly empty from the top as on mine it gets used from the bottom to see what is going on...slight clumping is normal in the used part of the sorb and is a good indication of how near the edge you were pushing things when you change the sorb!

Mine is a six hour scrubber in warm water I usually change after 5 hours or so sometimes earlier if doing harder working dives.. with 797 and soda sorb 6-12 I get slightly more clumping that coarser grain sorb such as Drager sorb pro or Soda sorb 4-8... sodasorb (grace products tend to have more dust ans I use a cake sieve so sieve the dust out when filling the scrubber...or pour in front of a fan...this annoys passers by though!)

Too much packing can also crush some of the sorb creating more dust and smaller particles that will tend to clump easier...

I have never found clumping with any of these sorbs effect the WOB though with my unit...

Between dives if I still have time on the sorb I remove the head for air drying the small amount of moisture then seal the top of the scrubber tube to prevent the sorb from losing its built in moisture content and store in a cool place.

Rod

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Re: ~ 70 dives later, new question

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    Just dumped my sorb after yesterdays dives.
    This time it was the first time that there were not only a few clumped parts, this time the upper 3/4 of the sorb were solid and stuck together in one piece. I had to use my fingers to destroy the suface to get the sorb out.
    I that normal too? Did I pack to much?

(Sorb (Sofnolime 797)was filled the same day just before the dives, total dive time 170 minutes at ~8 degrees Celcius)
    What do you mean by upper 3/4? Is that the 'upper' as in the first bit to be dumped out of the can (which is actually the bottom of the sorb can) or do you mean the real upper end near the little handle?

The first is no biggie but suggests you are getting a bit of water in. The latter would be concerning.

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    What do you mean by upper 3/4? Is that the 'upper' as in the first bit to be dumped out of the can (which is actually the bottom of the sorb can) or do you mean the real upper end near the little handle?

The first is no biggie but suggests you are getting a bit of water in. The latter would be concerning.
    I knew that I should have been more precise, I mean the lower 3/4 (the first bit to be dumped out of the can).
    Water - not sure, yesterday when I removed the can the scrim felt dry and only a few drops where on the bottom of the canister.

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Abbotson  View Original Post
    How hard were you working on the dive?
    Rod
    A relaxed solo dive between 37m to 45m with a 16/55 mix as diluent, just collected some lost gear (from others) watched stones and trouts. So no work at all. The unit was breathing well, no WOB issues at all.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

I must say, it seems a bit unusual to be clumped to that extent.

Where did you get your sorb from? Has it been stored properly and have you tried other tubs to see if that makes a difference?

inspiration vision

Shouldnīt be the sorb, I usually store it in the basement and if I travel by car it goes straight to the hotel room when I arrive. My source DTUAG seems to be reliable as well.
    Also the fill came from 2 different tubs and charges (expiry date 2014 & 2016). The first tub (known as good because I dived it the days before with small clumps as usual) was good to fill the canister to ~70-80% the remaining fill was done with the new tub.

Will go diving again this weekend and will pay special attention to this.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

I knew that I should have been more precise, I mean the lower 3/4 (the first bit to be dumped out of the can).
    Water - not sure, yesterday when I removed the can the scrim felt dry and only a few drops where on the bottom of the canister.
    I expect this everything I change sorb in my classic scrubber. In my unit, it doesn't matter whether it's Molecular, drager or other it all does the same thing. I am no chemist but I believe the clumping as you call it coincides with the level of moisture produced by the CO2 absorption process, the level of compacting and the reaction of the material (isn't this stuff the basis for the formation of concrete?). I can detect no appreciable level of increase in WOB regardless of the age of the material - I have got up to 7 hours out of my scrubber in water temps ranging from 8 C (the first two hours in my favourite lake) through to 27 C (in my favourite swimming pool - the scenery is awesome most times) in a controlled experiment using a lab rat (me!). I found the clumping did not go all the way up to the top even then.

I used to think the clumping coincided with the reaction front until I did that experiment now I am not so sure. A possible scenario is that bottom part of the sorb most associated with moisture clumps while the sorb above it remains free of clumping and that this changes with the amount of moisture present in the system.

Inspirations seem to be wetter than some other units I have looked at - for example, my Meg diving collegeus at Truk had no clumping at all.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hello all, it is my understanding that because spherasorb is made for medical use, meaning anesthesia, it has a lower moisture content to start with as it is used on land and thus has the ambient humidity to work with to make sure the reaction occurs properly. Sorb for diving is made with a higher baseline moisture content because it has to work with a loop filled completely by 0% humidity compressed breathing gas.

This is one of many reasons I don't like letting other people handle my sorb-I don't like the idea of buying a tub of sorb that has been sitting in some hot, sunny place for a few years, evaporating the water which was manufactured into it. In an otherwise properly functioning loop, clumping is a sign that the chemical reaction is going full tilt. That being said, I do try and avoid dust by sifting the sorb as it goes in and vacuuming it through the sides of the mesh radial scrubber after packing, something I have been doing since I started CCR diving. As a result, I rarely see much clumping with 797 or Sodasorb 6-12 until I get to the end of the scrubber duration... -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 23rd October 2011 at 01:43.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Just dumped my sorb after yesterdays dives.
    This time it was the first time that there were not only a few clumped parts, this time the upper 3/4 of the sorb were solid and stuck together in one piece. I had to use my fingers to destroy the suface to get the sorb out.
    I that normal too? Did I pack to much?

(Sorb (Sofnolime 797)was filled the same day just before the dives, total dive time 170 minutes at ~8 degrees Celcius)
    I see this happen when over-packed.

Matt.

RBW Member anarchista is an unknown quantity at this point anarchista's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello all, it is my understanding that because spherasorb is made for medical use, meaning anesthesia, it has a lower moisture content to start with as it is used on land and thus has the ambient humidity to work with to make sure the reaction occurs properly. Sorb for diving is made with a higher baseline moisture content because it has to work with a loop filled completely by 0% humidity compressed breathing gas.
    Soda lime for diving and medicine has a certain moisture content, lime diving is hard, it can contain KOH. Lime medically can not contain KOH, NaOH is used because he does not react with anesthetics.
    In a closed circuit used in anesthesia and dive quickly humidity reaches 100%. After several cycles of ventilation circuit. There are no differences.

rc greet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast