+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aloha

RBW Member surfdoc23 is an unknown quantity at this point surfdoc23's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Evolution Plus (the wifes)

Talking Aloha

Aloha from Hawaii. I am excited to start my rebreather course in the near future.

RBW Member surfdoc23 is an unknown quantity at this point surfdoc23's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Evolution Plus (the wifes)

Question Newbie

I am new to rebreathers. I just signed up for the Tdi course with a local shop(the only one who offers it on Oahu). They use the inspiration classic and offer training on the evo as well. I read somewhere that dive ritenow makes a rebreather as well. Is one really better than the other at recreational depths. APD seems the better choice to me because they have been developing rebreather tech a lot longer than dive rite. I have used other gear from dive rite which was good quality. Am I on the right path with APD?

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by surfdoc23  View Original Post
    I am new to rebreathers. I just signed up for the Tdi course with a local shop(the only one who offers it on Oahu). They use the inspiration classic and offer training on the evo as well. I read somewhere that dive ritenow makes a rebreather as well. Is one really better than the other at recreational depths. APD seems the better choice to me because they have been developing rebreather tech a lot longer than dive rite. I have used other gear from dive rite which was good quality. Am I on the right path with APD?
    You won't necessarily get a straight forward answer for that question. Every unit is different, and people have their own preferences as the result. APD makes good units as does Dive Rite. If deciding between just those two units, some of the considerations will be 1) whether you want to use cartridges or scrubber material, 2) which is going to be easier to get trained on, and 3) whether you want to have a totally independent secondary display. I'm sure there are more differences.

First you should ask yourself if you want to have a fully electronically controlled unit, or a manually controlled unit (MCCR) (like a KISS). I personally think that owning a manual unit while learning is the best route because it forces you to monitor your PO2, and it gets you in-tune with your rebreather more. This is similar to saying that one should learn to drive a stick-shift car first. Although you can fly a fully electronic unit manually (and you should for many many dives), the reality is that you will get lazy and will probably not force yourself to fly manually for very long. If an MCCR is set up properly, you don't need to add oxygen very often unless you are changing depth or adding diluent for some other reason.

On Oahu, you will basically only find instructors for the APD units, and the Titan. That may make your decision for you right there (personally I would go with the Inspo over Titan, but what the hell do I know). The other reason is that there are quite a few inspiration and evolution divers on the island, so if you are in a pinch for parts, you can probably find them.

Aloha,
    Charlie

TITAN-ITE grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52's Avatar
    pearl city hawaii EARTH moving to Iscandar

Re: Aloha

Considering the diver in question is already reaching for a titan

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by grandizer52  View Original Post
    Considering the diver in question is already reaching for a titan
    I didn't mean to hurt your feelings Steve.

The diver in question's post seemed to indicate that he is leaning toward the Inspo. It made no mention of a Titan. My main reason for preferring the Inspo is that there are thousands of units out there and the company will probably be around. The biggest reason is that there are more Inspos on Oahu, so getting spares is easy.

TITAN-ITE grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52's Avatar
    pearl city hawaii EARTH moving to Iscandar

UM... yes you did silly lawyer...and titans are growing fast...state wide

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    You won't necessarily get a straight forward answer for that question. Every unit is different, and people have their own preferences as the result. APD makes good units as does Dive Rite. If deciding between just those two units, some of the considerations will be 1) whether you want to use cartridges or scrubber material, 2) which is going to be easier to get trained on, and 3) whether you want to have a totally independent secondary display. I'm sure there are more differences.

First you should ask yourself if you want to have a fully electronically controlled unit, or a manually controlled unit (MCCR) (like a KISS). I personally think that owning a manual unit while learning is the best route because it forces you to monitor your PO2, and it gets you in-tune with your rebreather more. This is similar to saying that one should learn to drive a stick-shift car first. Although you can fly a fully electronic unit manually (and you should for many many dives), the reality is that you will get lazy and will probably not force yourself to fly manually for very long. If an MCCR is set up properly, you don't need to add oxygen very often unless you are changing depth or adding diluent for some other reason.

On Oahu, you will basically only find instructors for the APD units, and the Titan. That may make your decision for you right there (personally I would go with the Inspo over Titan, but what the hell do I know). The other reason is that there are quite a few inspiration and evolution divers on the island, so if you are in a pinch for parts, you can probably find them.

Aloha,
    Charlie

Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by grandizer52  View Original Post
    UM... yes you did silly lawyer...and titans are growing fast...state wide
    Like my hemorrhoids.

Ok then Steve...how many are there in Hawaii now? Four? I want serial numbers and names.

All I said was that I'd rather have an Inspo than a Titan. But I'd also rather have a KISS than an Inspo. I'd rather have a Mk15 than a KISS. I'd rather have a Mk15.5 than a Mk 15. None of those things should make you feel like you made the wrong decision. You're gonna be ok.
    Last edited by chunter; 27th November 2010 at 04:37.

RBW Member Rydeaway is on a distinguished road Rydeaway is on a distinguished road Rydeaway's Avatar

What is a MK15? Is that some type of new inspiration? Was that at DEMA?

Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeaway  View Original Post
    What is a MK15? Is that some type of new inspiration? Was that at DEMA?
    Good one.

RBW Member Rydeaway is on a distinguished road Rydeaway is on a distinguished road Rydeaway's Avatar

Yup, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this stuff. You (Chunter) appear to be the most knowledgable on the subject…..are you a rebreather designer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast