Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VR Technologies new Sport rebreather images

Rebreather numpty aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord's Avatar
    APD Evo+

Re: VR Technologies new Sport rebreather images

First, I agree with Curt and others that we should not piss on stuff like this new kit. The VR guys might be weird at times (see one of my very earliest posts on this board, ahem), but they do seem to think deeply about rebreather technology, more so than I or probably most others on this board could ever hope to. That ought to be the case because that's their job.

Now to my main thought: I have been ostracised by my mates for going CCR. They are mainly PADI OC <= 40 metre divers, without two pennies between em all to rub together. Why the jolly heck would they ever want to dive this rig? It will cost them money to buy/rent, it will cost them money to train, and I imagine the running costs will be no cheaper than OC and quite possibly more expensive. We already know the depth limits are the same as for rec OC. So, what will convince my mates, and the millions of other skint PADI recs, that this is something they should pay extra money for?

I'm not saying there is no reason. I imagine the VR guys have a business plan worked out for this. But what is it? What's the USP?

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by aplord  View Original Post
    Now to my main thought: I have been ostracised by my mates for going CCR. They are mainly PADI OC <= 40 metre divers, without two pennies between em all to rub together. Why the jolly heck would they ever want to dive this rig? It will cost them money to buy/rent, it will cost them money to train, and I imagine the running costs will be no cheaper than OC and quite possibly more expensive. We already know the depth limits are the same as for rec OC. So, what will convince my mates, and the millions of other skint PADI recs, that this is something they should pay extra money for?

I'm not saying there is no reason. I imagine the VR guys have a business plan worked out for this. But what is it? What's the USP?

SIMPLE
    Attached Images

Rebreather numpty aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord's Avatar
    APD Evo+

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    SIMPLE
    Oh, you Americans have such strange ideas about what makes a good motorcycle! May I please have the lady in orange on the cycle in pink? [I ride a Triumph - it has handling and brakes and many other things American sickles tend to be devoid of....]

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Oh, you Americans have such strange ideas about what makes a good motorcycle! May I please have the lady in orange on the cycle in pink? [I ride a Triumph - it has handling and brakes and many other things American sickles tend to be devoid of....]
    Hey...don't lump me in with that statement! I have no interest in riding Fartley Disabledsons. I've got a BMW 1200GSA that I use for long camping trips, and a KTM 530 exc that I use for dirtbiking and supermoto around the city.

As to this rebreather...I agree with you. It may look sexy to some (not me), but I suspect the number of people who will want to spend money like that, in order to do dives shallower than 120ft, is small. I also do not understand why anyone would want such a complicated set of electronics on a SCR. I'd rather have a Dolphin with an oxygen sensor. At least I wouldn't have to send it back to England for factory-mandated services.
    Last edited by chunter; 23rd November 2010 at 01:31.

APD Evo+

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    ... I have no interest in riding Fartley Disabledsons...
    Oh, I've always called 'em Hardley Driveables, but I think I will use your term in future!

Brainwave: if you strapped a pair of the new Patriot 3 Jet Boots to a Fartley Disabledson, you would surely improve both acceleration and speed significantly, and all that above the surface! Though a better place for those sickles would be at depth I think...

But back to the VR Technology Dyson - why will PADI OC recs be interested? There must be a rationale, since VR would surely not have developed this just for their own amusement. Does anyone know what that might be? Did VR explain at DEMA? Can anyone find any relevant literature from VR on it?

Because I Can Diveimage is an unknown quantity at this point Diveimage's Avatar
    MEG

AP Classic&Evo Meg Copis&APECS

Having recently worked on a CCR stand at a UK dive show, I would say there was is a definite gap in the market for a reasonably priced CCR/SCR.
    Many folk who came onto the stand didn’t want to go deep but were interested in a Rebreather for photography. Due mainly for the lack of bubbles and the extended dive times.
    However, what was turning them off from going down the Rebreather route wasn’t to old ‘you’re gonna to die on one of them dar things’ (in fact we had very few comments along this line) but the price was the main hurdle stopping them from going Rebreather….
    So my feeling is there is a rationale for this unit as long as it’s sensibly priced. Otherwise IMHO it’s doomed to go the way of the Drager Dolphin….

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Who said I was talking about the bike?

Mr Fox Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox's Avatar
    Sentinel

KISS

I'm oddly tempted by the unit, having mulled it over it would be great to use on the club rhibs for messing about on shallow trips. One of the reasons i haven't been out much with my club is i don't like OC and the Sentinel is just too big for a rhib dive. It would be toss up between this unit and the KISS GEM but i'd probably go with the VR unit, Kevin Gurr already owns my soul he mays as well have my bank debts as well now.

It would be nice, mind you, to see something on their website. I can't seem to find a mention of it anywhere.
    Last edited by Soggyfox; 23rd November 2010 at 14:22.

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Diveimage  View Original Post
    However, what was turning them off from going down the Rebreather route wasn’t to old ‘you’re gonna to die on one of them dar things’ (in fact we had very few comments along this line) but the price was the main hurdle stopping them from going Rebreather….[/FONT][/SIZE]
    So my feeling is there is a rationale for this unit as long as it’s sensibly priced. Otherwise IMHO it’s doomed to go the way of the Drager Dolphin….
    I agree. When people see me diving my rebreather on commercial dive boats, there are always two questions:
    1) Is that a rebreather???
    2) How much do those things cost???

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

You are right - if the price is low enough then maybe it will sell....otherwise I suspect doomed to failure.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast