+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eurotek online presentations ??

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Re: Eurotek online presentations ??

I understand the concern with not giving away all the presentations, but providing some to the general public should rise interests in future events.

I recently posted a few of the speakers (NOT ALL) at the NACD CCR Cave Summit.

Jill Heinerth
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Jill Heinerth

Lamar Hires
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Lamar Hires

Brett Hemphill
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Brett Hemphill

and Mike Fowler
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Mike Fowler

The question is…

As a consumer, would you more likely attend future events because of these provided web video links?

Or

Would you not attend an event, knowing that these types of presentations will be provided after?

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Curt,

I totally agree with your approach here... The posting of content from an event would only entice me to go to it in the future provided that the content is good. To the point made by others... I would be happy to purchase a dvd after the event if there is a concern that the posting of the materials would reduce attendance.

Thanks!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    I understand the concern with not giving away all the presentations, but providing some to the general public should rise interests in future events.

I recently posted a few of the speakers (NOT ALL) at the NACD CCR Cave Summit.

Jill Heinerth
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Jill Heinerth

Lamar Hires
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Lamar Hires

Brett Hemphill
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Brett Hemphill

and Mike Fowler
    NACD CCR Cave Summit - ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE - Speaker Mike Fowler

The question is…

As a consumer, would you more likely attend future events because of these provided web video links?

Or

Would you not attend an event, knowing that these types of presentations will be provided after?

RBW Member Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini hCCR

Personally I think it's a shame that the presentations given don't live on in some way for a few reasons.
    First is that there was quite a lot of education and myth-busting that went on. Those things are good for everyone to hear, not just those who were able to attend.

Second, even though I attended there was lots of stuff I didn't get to see. It'd be nice to be able to catch up.

Third, convincing people they'd be interested in coming to the next one is easier if you can show them what to expect. (...or even that people should see particular speakers when they get the chance)
    I do understand the fear of shooting yourself in the foot though. I think its easy to underestimate people as a load of freeloaders (especially divers). I'd hope that you'd be surprised and it would act as a promotional tool, generating interest for the next event.

There's also the problem with the cost of production. Personally I think an audio recording and the slides would be enough in most cases. It also gets round the problem of trying to video in a darkened room, and making sure the slides are visible. Too many videos of presentations I've seen are a blurry mess with the slides overexposed and unreadable. Completely pointless considering the slides came off a computer to start with.

The question is…

Or

For me, the honest answer is that it's a bit of a mix. Videos like that help me get an idea of what the event is going to be like, and how much I'm going to get out of it. That makes it easier to make a judgement on how much it's worth to me to attend.

If the event is good, it'll draw people in. If it's bad it will drive them away. I umm'd and errd'd about Eurotek in '08, and I didn't go. I umm'd and errd'd about Eurotek in '10, and I did go. The difference was the podcast, because it gave me an idea of who the people involved were, and how my interests intersected. I think seeing a few of the '08 presentations would have given me more reasons to go, not less.

I doubt I'd ever go to an event, and then not go again just because the talks were available some time after. If I did decide not to go again it's because the event wasn't really worthwhile (to me) in the first place.

Obviously the speakers would need to be consulted that they were happy for their presentation to be released, but I think that goes without saying (but I said it anyway)

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S  View Original Post
    There's also the problem with the cost of production. Personally I think an audio recording and the slides would be enough in most cases. It also gets round the problem of trying to video in a darkened room, and making sure the slides are visible. Too many videos of presentations I've seen are a blurry mess with the slides overexposed and unreadable. Completely pointless considering the slides came off a computer to start with.
    For every minute of video shot takes an estimated 4 minutes of editing in production, and that is if it is not a difficult speech without illustrations.

Thus a 45 minute talk, will take no less than 3 hours to produce into a simple video presentation. For every slide, change of camera angle, change of speaker, change of lighting, change of camera battery, change of memory card, etc.... This production time increases drastically.

I have spent 10 hours to produce a 10 minute production, and 3 hours to produce a 45 minute production, thus it all depends on just how fancy one has to get. The NACD Ccr Summit was as easy as it comes with only 2 rotating cameras and a digital sound recorder. (one wide angle and one tight running 100% of the time)

Speakers talking with power point of slides are almost impossible to produce on site. The lighting between the screen and the speaker, the speaker moving around, people standing up blocking the camera view, people making loud noises drowning out the speaker, blah blah blah

The only reason I produce these productions is because I own RBW and ADM and enjoy providing content to our members. We have never been paid or compensated for a single production, except to kiss ass to a manufacturer who support our sites.

All this said, I am willing to attend almost any event and attempt to gather materials for RBW / ADM, no pay required. Success is a different story.