+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Twins and "Free the Bubbles" or Silent Predator

Prospective bubblefree h3odiver is an unknown quantity at this point h3odiver's Avatar
    Looking....

Twins and "Free the Bubbles" or Silent Predator

Hi.

I am at a crossroads where I am considering either: Going twins or all the way to bubblefree.

As a relative newbe I have discovered the limitations of diving on singles (albeit NITROX) in the Northern Latitudes of Europe and am intrigued by the bubble free environment.

However. Would a relative new diver benefit fully from rebreather diving? I have a couple of wreck dives under my (lead) belt and no matter what I do i am cursed with high air consumption. Most of the wrecks we dive are around 20-30 m. I am one of the few in our club diving with singles (15L)

Price is an consideration, but a sensible cost benefit analysis on investing in a complete twin equipment vs a used re-breather (I have set my eyes on an Inspiration) it might be justified to take the leap????

Any comments, advice, questions are highly welcome.....

Cheers

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Re: Twins and "Free the Bubbles" or Silent Predator

Quote Originally Posted by h3odiver  View Original Post
    Hi.

I am at a crossroads where I am considering either: Going twins or all the way to bubblefree.

As a relative newbe I have discovered the limitations of diving on singles (albeit NITROX) in the Northern Latitudes of Europe and am intrigued by the bubble free environment.

However. Would a relative new diver benefit fully from rebreather diving? I have a couple of wreck dives under my (lead) belt and no matter what I do i am cursed with high air consumption. Most of the wrecks we dive are around 20-30 m. I am one of the few in our club diving with singles (15L)

Price is an consideration, but a sensible cost benefit analysis on investing in a complete twin equipment vs a used re-breather (I have set my eyes on an Inspiration) it might be justified to take the leap????

Any comments, advice, questions are highly welcome.....

Cheers
    Hi,
    I think you could find good help for decision with Rasmus:

Nortech Diving

Best,
    Nad

RBW Member Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis's Avatar
    Poseidon MKVI, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    Hi,
    I think you could find good help for decision with Rasmus:

Nortech Diving

Best,
    Nad
    Or with DK-Diver if you are on the east coast...

But if you are concerned about cost benefit, you might have to recalculate the cost of diving ccr...

Prospective bubblefree h3odiver is an unknown quantity at this point h3odiver's Avatar
    Looking....

Thanks for the advice, guys. I know that I can go to DK-diver, but would rather prefer some "non-commercial" interest input prior to moving into the lion's den.....

Back on Bubbles - Cherio! Craig69 is an unknown quantity at this point Craig69's Avatar

Hi,

I would say to look at what kind of diving you are going to do and then decide if its a viable option. I bought my unit when it was obvious that buying larger twins and getting OC trimix diving would only last me a few years before I needed a rebreather to sensibly complete my dives.

Conversely I am now at the point where I am doing so little diving that having a rebreather is of no benefit to me, both from a finanacial point of view and that I am 'rusty' with it when I do go in and thats not a comfortable place to be. Hence I may be selling mine (don't worry this isn't an advert).

Finally you need to honestly appraise yourself and your diving style. If you are the kind of person that has the discipline to make sure everything is exactly right before you get in the water and that you are comfortable and have a lot of situation awareness then you will probably get a lot from owning a unit. If you have a more relaxed approach to maintaining kit then you may find that owning a unit is taxing as you won't enjoy setting everything up, doing the pre dive checks, etc. They aren't that onerous but some people enjoy it and for others its a real turn off to owning a ccr.

I hope this has been some help.

Craig.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

To the above I would add: If you penetrate shipwrecks it is only a matter of IF, not WHEN you will get snagged. CCR gives you the luxury of time to think your way out of a situation, considering options for the best solution to the problem, rather than having to use the first solution that comes to mind due to a rapidly dwindling OC gas supply.

Oh, and it looks really cool, too!

Ken

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

This probably isn't a popular view on RBW, but here it goes.
    Rebreathers offer some great advantages over OC, but along with the advantages come increased risk and increased maintenance and other challenges not faced by OC divers.

I can think of lots of compelling reasons to dive a rebreather, but having a high air consumption rate during 20m-30m dives is not one of them.
    To improve your consumption rate, dive a lot and improve fitness. Around my 400th dive, I noticed a big improvement in my air consumption. This was likely due to increasing my comfort in the water, better buoyancy/trim, and just being more efficient with my movements while underwater. Fitness also plays a role in air consumption, so hitting the gym for some cardio can't hurt.

IMO, you'd be better served doing 20m-30m dives on doubles.

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

Quote Originally Posted by h3odiver  View Original Post
    Hi.

no matter what I do i am cursed with high air consumption.
    Thats something very important to think about...
    perhaps you even have to try to solve this problem before thinking going to CCR.
    If high consumption comes from breath control problem, inhability to save your energy underwater ( buoyancy, finning, stress... ) then CCR could be a killer instead of a solution.
    OC is a great and safe tool, twin are inexpensive if you stay on air with nitrox on deco.
    My advice could be solve your consumption problem before going CCR, there is no curse, but perhaps a course to look at.

About money problemm the best way I found to stop wasting money ( not only for sport ) is: "always choose the tool you need for what you do and not the one for what you expect to do".

regards

Marc

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

have you read this :

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=35498

Sounds like it is what you are considering....

Good luck !!

John

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

I think it is really hard to give advice without knowing you and what your future plans in diving might be.
    A lot of thoughts have already been presented..

Since you mentioned the cost perspective in it..
    A Twinset is wuite inexpensive when you are diving air or nitrox with it..
    So if you intend to continue diving such gases and you do not have the intention to extend your depth range significantly in close future (which would come along with switching breathing gases in close future) then the Twin set is mots likely the better choice..
    The only downside you would have with that decision is the difference in marine life encounters (which significantly change once you entered the "silent world")...

If cost is a concern it would also not be advisable to look into mix gas diving as from there on your diving gets pretty expensive anyways.
    Once doing mix gas diving, depending still on the quantity of dives during a year obviously. A CCR can lower your significantly higher expenses (vs. rec. diving and even far advanced rec. diving) a bit, but we ar still talking quite different ball games here...

Another option to extend your gas without that much investment, would be for example going pure sidemount with e.g. 2 AL80..
    This would also give you the option to use these together with your 15L opening plenty of different dive approaches with different gases and felxibility in future plans as well..

Just my thoughts ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast