+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sony vegas help quality

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Re: sony vegas help quality

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Now, Mel...

"I keep banging my head up against the top of the cave! What am I doing wrong??" and you said "get yourself a Wing with a proper Inflator"

Kevin.

((In case you're wondering, this post is tongue-in-cheek - I know there are good PC editing programs out there too, so you Microsoft Clones don't get all huffy with me... Computers and Rebreathers are like Religion...! ))
    hi kevin i would not say that. i would say something like this "stop damaging my caves with your head duffus, and who the heck taught you MOD 1 anyway!!!"

but point noted
    mel

RBW Member libero is an unknown quantity at this point libero's Avatar
    Megalodon

Hello to all; you excuse to me, but mac or win, it does not change nothing. To expect to put on 1 dvd filmed hd is possible if it decodes in h264 but there are only little minuteren of film if it is expected to put 1 hour to us of film is natural that us it is degradation, as the film comes compressed a lot. If you want to little less obtain the same quality of the turned one (or) to the maximum you can put 25 min of video in dvd 4,5 with codifies h264 otherwise buys a BD. Sony Vegas is an OPTIMAL one programme of editing; but the miracles them cannot make if the pretensions are impossible and, not even Final Cut. salutes
    Last edited by libero; 9th October 2010 at 10:56.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt  View Original Post
    hi kevin i would not say that. i would say something like this "stop damaging my caves with your head duffus, and who the heck taught you MOD 1 anyway!!!"

but point noted
    mel

My head is quite hard, so I'm afraid I'd probably really hurt your cave...!

Although I'm not Cave Certified, I did make a film in a deep cave in '96, thereby making me the poster-boy for "do as I say, not as I do"... The fact that I'm still around is more a testament to God not wanting me, than any personal skill...

See you at DEMA, I'm sure.

All the best,

Kevin.

RBW Member JtM will become famous soon enough JtM will become famous soon enough JtM will become famous soon enough JtM's Avatar
    rEvo II

Hi Guys,
    i put pictures and video in one dvd after trips. the quality sucks, and i realize it is me and not the machine who has the problem. what rendering settings are you using to get good quality dvd's that are not too big to put on a dvd. i am using a sony HD video camera so the video is HD and the stills are high quality. but when i render and burn the video is very grainy and sucks. help please!!
    thanks
    mel

scubagrunt@gmail.com
    What are you trying to do? Burn a DVD that will play in a DVD player or create a DVD data disc with a movie on it for playback on a PC/Mac...?

RBW Member JtM will become famous soon enough JtM will become famous soon enough JtM will become famous soon enough JtM's Avatar
    rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Import video at High Def resolution, then hit one button to export to iDVD application - add cool titles, etc, and then burn DVD's one after the other.
    And then wait 12 hours for iDVD to decode and re-encode the movie file! It's ok for short bits of video relatively low quality but anything over 20 mins and its way too long a process.

Export from iMovie using 'export to quicktime' and generate a DV file at the appropriate resolution (this will be a very large file but it very quick for imovie and idvd to render due to no compression.

Import this movie to iDVD and go from there.

Showed my friend this the other day and got his render time down from 12 hours to 45 minutes.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by JtM  View Original Post
    And then wait 12 hours for iDVD to decode and re-encode the movie file! It's ok for short bits of video relatively low quality but anything over 20 mins and its way too long a process.

Export from iMovie using 'export to quicktime' and generate a DV file at the appropriate resolution (this will be a very large file but it very quick for imovie and idvd to render due to no compression.

Import this movie to iDVD and go from there.

Showed my friend this the other day and got his render time down from 12 hours to 45 minutes.
    I'll pass that tip on to my son - thanks!

He's currently transferring all our Hi-8 video to DVD.

The thing that really vexes me, however, is what to do with hundreds and hundreds of hours of production Beta Masters, D2's, D1 Composites, and 1" rolls.

I was talking to my old partner McKenney about this, since he's got something like 600 hours of stock-footage transfers from 16mm dating back to when his dad was making movies in the 60's.

You really run into a problem because DVD is on it's way out, to be replaced by what? Blu-Ray? Not for long. And who is going to want 4:3 video in the future anyway? Should we go back to the lab and re-transfer the Super 16mm to HD format? Then save it to what? (These are rhetorical questions).

Part of me figures that most of this old footage, unless it is of something ultra-cool, is pretty much done for. And, of course, the super-expensive graphics and effects we were rendering on a Quantel Paint-Box or a Grass Valley Kaleidoscope or Mirage now can be done in my son's Mac in better res, so keeping all those rendered images that now look so dated and retro is probably a waste, no matter how much they cost me to make way back when...

The obvious stuff to save is anything my kids will care about - their Dad in a shark cage, or hanging from a helicopter - and full episodes of films, of course.

I would be interested to hear from some of the avid shooters on this forum how they are dealing with this issue. It seems to me that if you store all your stuff non-linear fashion (i.e. on a hard drive) you still have the problem of changing standards. I've got hard drives all the way back to the 80's which are formats that aren't used anymore - so the same "antiquation" will affect them too.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with Will Smithers shortly after my dad died. I was in my dad's shop, looking at all this stuff - TV testing equipment from the 50's and 60's, and I said to Will "I just don't know what to do with all of it..." And Will said, in his sanguine way, "Dude, if you don't throw it out now, all you're doing is postponing the inevitable..."

Hard to think all this work is going to wind up in the ash heap of history, but I think Will may have had a good point...

Kevin.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Quote Originally Posted by JtM  View Original Post
    What are you trying to do? Burn a DVD that will play in a DVD player or create a DVD data disc with a movie on it for playback on a PC/Mac...?
    i take hd video from UW and my still pics from UW and put them into a video then i burn it and give it to the guys that were on the trip with me. i am just very upset with the quality that is coming out. i know it is the program as the pics and video are great in raw format.
    mel
    ps kevin i am not going to dema this year. i have to work my real job that week have a CR and 7 for me!!

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

ps kevin i am not going to dema this year. i have to work my real job that week have a CR and 7 for me!!

Will do!

P.S. What's a "Real Job" and where can I get one??

Kevin.

John Billings CapeClipper is an unknown quantity at this point CapeClipper's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Hi Mel,

I have encountered the same phenomenon of which you speak. If the original 1080 clip is imported and its attributes heavily modified, i.e. brightness, contrast, it loads up the file and can reduce the quality of the converted output. To just trim, add text, etc. I use the AVS4You Suite. It's something like $60-$70 for the whole suite to convert, edit, burn, etc. You can just right click on your H.264/AVCHD file and select "AVS Convert to" and a drop down appears with many choices, among which is - DVD. So simple a 50 year old can do it (8 year olds don't lose ball bearings in a padded room). Then you can use the resulting MPEG2 file to trim, add your titles, or whatever. Here is a link to a sample converted DVD file:

BR,
    John

P.S - I just label the old outdated tapes with subjects such as, "Grandpa rehearsing with the Beatles." - That way someone may actually watch them some day.

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Hi Guys,
    i put pictures and video in one dvd after trips. the quality sucks, and i realize it is me and not the machine who has the problem. what rendering settings are you using to get good quality dvd's that are not too big to put on a dvd. i am using a sony HD video camera so the video is HD and the stills are high quality. but when i render and burn the video is very grainy and sucks. help please!!
    thanks
    mel

scubagrunt@gmail.com
    Mel,

I have the older Sony Vegas 8.0, but it should be pretty similar. Try: File|Properties menu when you open a new project. From there you can set the screen size, e.g., 720x480, and the resolution rendering quality. Also make sure you don't have any unwanted filtering automatically added to your frames. It's a nice piece of software, but takes some time to get used to and make it do what you want. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM, I would be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Serge