+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two nice dives on the MX90 at Point Lobos (10/2/2010)

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

Two nice dives on the MX90 at Point Lobos (10/2/2010)

Had two really nice dives this past weekend. Unfortunately the visibility wasn't up to much (4-8 feet) so I don't think any of the video is going to be usable (not helped by my camera setup continuing it's gradual degradation)

Dive 1 was a shakedown dive, with my (OC) buddies on 32%
    The plan was to scooter out to "Three Sisters" but one scooter died a few minutes into the dive, so instead we kicked out to Betos Reef in about 100 feet. On the way out, we met a very inquisitive seal that wanted to play hide-and-seek.

Vis finally opened up a little at 100, but pretty dark under the kelp canopy.

We had planned a second dive to 130, but given the cruddy vis, decided to sit it out and hope for better conditions the next dat.

Dive 2. Scooter/Video dive to "Twin Sisters"
    I hooked up the video camera to the scooter, but something is definitely wrong with it, and it made a lot of weird "beeping" noises the entire dive.
    It did seem to record, but conditions were so dark probably none of the footage is usable.

Max 100 feet for about 50 mins.

This time the scooters cooperated. This is an awesome reef, even in the dark. Lots of sponges and colors, plenty of rockfish and awesome rock structure and canyons to scooter through.

The vis never really opened up, even after we left the kelp canopy.

Average depth about 130 for 40 mins, max depth 160.

Nick

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Two nice dives on the MX90 at Point Lobos (10/2/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ambrose  View Original Post
    Had two really nice dives this past weekend. Unfortunately the visibility wasn't up to much (4-8 feet) so I don't think any of the video is going to be usable (not helped by my camera setup continuing it's gradual degradation)

Dive 1 was a shakedown dive, with my (OC) buddies on 32%
    The plan was to scooter out to "Three Sisters" but one scooter died a few minutes into the dive, so instead we kicked out to Betos Reef in about 100 feet. On the way out, we met a very inquisitive seal that wanted to play hide-and-seek.

Vis finally opened up a little at 100, but pretty dark under the kelp canopy.

We had planned a second dive to 130, but given the cruddy vis, decided to sit it out and hope for better conditions the next dat.

Dive 2. Scooter/Video dive to "Twin Sisters"
    I hooked up the video camera to the scooter, but something is definitely wrong with it, and it made a lot of weird "beeping" noises the entire dive.
    It did seem to record, but conditions were so dark probably none of the footage is usable.

Max 100 feet for about 50 mins.

This time the scooters cooperated. This is an awesome reef, even in the dark. Lots of sponges and colors, plenty of rockfish and awesome rock structure and canyons to scooter through.

The vis never really opened up, even after we left the kelp canopy.

Average depth about 130 for 40 mins, max depth 160.

Nick

I had a nice cup of tea this morning. 9:05am 2010/10/5

Average sweetness (1 teaspoon) , max capacity (500ml)

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post

And I suppose you're going to inform us your machine performed flawlesy throughout. Bah, humbug. Just typical innit.

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post

Sorry if it's too boring for you Mike. Would it be more interesting if I posted up some WOB charts to go with it ?

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ambrose  View Original Post
    Sorry if it's too boring for you Mike. Would it be more interesting if I posted up some WOB charts to go with it ?
    Next time Nick you can go inside a wreck without a guideline, silt the shit out of it then decide if you want to live or die then come back here and tell us all about what decision you made. Now that would be interesting.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Next time Nick you can go inside a wreck without a guideline, silt the shit out of it then decide if you want to live or die then come back here and tell us all about what decision you made. Now that would be interesting.
    I could but why would I want to do that ?

Prince of darkness Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits's Avatar
    Megalodon

I don't know what the big deal is with this Nick's post, yeah! these are pretty basic dives but Nick is new at it and he is taking is time. We may not agree with the configuration he's using but it just seems wrong to give him a hard time when all he did is post a dive report.

If he was using a regular HH or Meg we would have thanks him for sharing.

Al

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-limits  View Original Post
    I don't know what the big deal is with this Nick's post, yeah! these are pretty basic dives but Nick is new at it and he is taking is time. We may not agree with the configuration he's using but it just seems wrong to give him a hard time when all he did is post a dive report.

Al
    I agree. The training Nick has is sub-par we know that and we know the configuration he is using is pretty much a senseless cluster f*$K.

But give him a break. He come here talking about his dives, there's no reason to jump on him personaly. He didn't mention anything about the CF or his training.

Cut him some slack about the dives he's doing he's got to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-limits  View Original Post

Al
    Thanks :) I am trying to proceed at a reasonable pace and gain experience.
    Obviously the report would be more interesting with stills or video, but the vis did not cooperate. Hopefully next time.

Quote Originally Posted by DWill  View Original Post
    I agree. The training Nick has is sub-par we know that and we know the configuration he is using is pretty much a senseless cluster f*.

But give him a break. He come here talking about his dives, there's no reason to jump on him personaly. He didn't mention anything about the CF or his training.

Cut him some slack about the dives he's doing he's got to start somewhere.
    Thanks Doug! (I think, kinda, sorta)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast