+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truk Trip

Supporting Member dbramley is on a distinguished road dbramley is on a distinguished road dbramley's Avatar
    Kiss Classic #371

Truk Trip

David and I went the end of August for a week on the Odyssey and 3 diving days at Blue Lagoon. As expected it was a great trip. I posted some photos on my flickr page if anyone is interested.

Dan

Truk Lagoon - a set on Flickr

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Re: Truk Trip

Quote Originally Posted by dbramley  View Original Post
    David and I went the end of August for a week on the Odyssey and 3 diving days at Blue Lagoon. As expected it was a great trip. I posted some photos on my flickr page if anyone is interested.

Dan

Nice pictures, Dan. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm heading back out there next year.

Cheers
    Matt.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbramley  View Original Post

Dan

OC or CCR? Post a summary of logistics/costs.....

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    Post a summary of logistics/costs.....
    yes, please, I'd like to know more about what it took to get there, what the challenges were and your favorite dives, etc.

great photos!

g

Gill Envy

RBW Member Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point Campbell's Avatar
    AP Evolution

AP Inspiration Classic

Pete Mesley is organising two trips next year, one in July and the othe rin December. I am on the July trip

Dive T.E.C. main home page
    petemes@ihug.co.nz

John

Supporting Member dbramley is on a distinguished road dbramley is on a distinguished road dbramley's Avatar
    Kiss Classic #371

I have learned of Pete's trips, sounds great, maybe 2012 for me. As far as logistics; (2) bags checked at 69 lbs each with contentinal the whole way. Costs $100 each way for overweight bags. Flew from Phoenix to Houston and overnighted there. Flew from Houston (right over Phoenix) to Honolulu. Honolulu to Guam, Guam to Weno. Roughly 23 hours. Should of flew Phoenix to LA and on from there, travel agent kind of screwed us there. I carried on my Kiss Classic sans the backplate and wing in one bag. And my camera (in the housing) with lens and port attached, two flashes and a macro lens in a backpack. I took 2 aluminum 13's for the RB in my checked bags. We called ahead to the Odyessy and ordered 3 pales of Solfonolime 4-8. They charged us normal retail cost, no price jacking, and 2 of us used that for liveaboard and land based. They had it waiting on the boat when we showed up. Diving on the Odyessy was nice, great accomidations. We dove with a mostly recreational crowd so it was tough to get photos with all of the silt getting kicked up. NO HELIUM allowed ON the Odyessy. Just there rules. Diving the San Fransico at 199fsw on air was a lot of fun........ as I rememberd it??? Take a couple extra cans of Copenhagen long cut for Sam, tough for him to get there and he was very appreciative. The guides were fantastic. After the Odyessy we dove 3 days with Blue Lagoon. Blue Lagoon was great. They had a specific area for Rebreathers where you could work on your rig as needed. They provided AL 40's with whatever mix you wanted for bailout. The diving off the skiffs was actually eaiser than the Odyessy. Easy to gear up and back roll in. We did 2 days of 3 dives and one day of two dives. My gas bill for the 8 dives with rental of a 40cf was $ 67 dollars. I think the average was $130 a day for ride out and guide. With the Blue Lagoon we just said what wreck we wanted to go to and they went. It was nice since if I wanted a particular photo we just went there first and were always the only ones on the wreck. Blue Lagoon had roughly 8 K bottles of helium on tap so if we wanted there was plenty. I highly recommend Chenny Tipweek as a guide, the oldest guide at Blue Lagoon. I have never seen anyone look at two islands miles away and drop a hook consistently in a bridge window like that on wreck over a hundred feet deep, impressive. Flight home was a bitch, overnighted in Guam, flew right over Phoenix to Houston, then back to Phoenix. What I learned??? Leave huge wreck reel at home, take a finger spool only, one knife, 2 Intova lights, left huge canister light at home, small SMB is all you will need (mine never left my luggage). Great viz, temp 84 from top to bottom, no current, 3 mill wetsuit with light gloves worked out great.

RBW Member Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point Campbell's Avatar
    AP Evolution

AP Inspiration Classic

Dan,
    I'm taking my evolution next year and will take your advice on smb and reel.
    I have a greenforce LED - is that a bit over-kill for out there?

I'd like to keep my weight as low as possible and anything i don't need I don't want to take.

John

RBW Member recomprssd is an unknown quantity at this point recomprssd's Avatar

i'd disagree about not having bigger light.
    we had cloudy conditions and "rough seas" every day for a week so there was limited ambient light on wrecks
    some of the wrecks can be deeply penetrated and a high output light would have been better than a small backup. very dark in some of them.

but then you have the weight limits to worry about.

dave

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell  View Original Post
    Dan,
    I'm taking my evolution next year and will take your advice on smb and reel.
    I have a greenforce LED - is that a bit over-kill for out there?

I'd like to keep my weight as low as possible and anything i don't need I don't want to take.

John
    SMB: only needed for emergency, one small SMB and a small reel is adequate.

Torch: small powerful torch is needed, I have a FaMi Pocket 40 which is perfect.

Suit: thin suit, mine is 2mm, gloves (for the wreck) no hood. Sea is 28C throughout.

Don't really need any other ancillary equipment except a back-up gauge and table.

Cheers
    Matt.

inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by recomprssd  View Original Post
    i'd disagree about not having bigger light.
    we had cloudy conditions and "rough seas" every day for a week so there was limited ambient light on wrecks
    some of the wrecks can be deeply penetrated and a high output light would have been better than a small backup. very dark in some of them.

but then you have the weight limits to worry about.

dave
    what time of year did you go?

Cheers
    Matt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast