+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Life Ending Seconds

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

Re: Life Ending Seconds

4. Free-flow second stage regulator. Simulated by manually purging a high performance second stage at the predetermined depths until the cylinder was emptied. The time was recorded.

You can use this to figure out your RMV during a CO2 event. Just divide by 2.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    This is a forum, start up the conversation.

Magazine editorials are designed to highlight or bring interest to a subject. Readers, if interested are encouraged to seek additional reference materials.

For a writer to cover all angles, it would than be called a manual, not an editorial.
    It is comments like this that make me less inclined to post at all.
    Matt.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by matthewoutram  View Original Post
    It is comments like this that make me less inclined to post at all.
    Matt.
    Forum: A specific site designed for continued conversation on specific subjects containing unlimited space

Editorial: a short, limited space, article to highlight a subject

RBW Member Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote's Avatar
    LAR VI ,CDBA, Fenzy po68

Dolphin,Ray,Copis,Sports kiss

I do have a view that the manifolded twin set is the result of an excellent marketting exercise!![/QUOTE]

Interesting statement made me think. Would you explain your view ?

Dean

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Before moving to rebreathers, I dived for the previous 15 years with independant twins. Starting with twin 8's when I used air and moving to twin 12's + deco cylinder when I started using nitrox.

I always had lots of gas for all the dives I did upto 50-60m and got into the habit of switching regs.

My worst fear when diving OC was always the scenario of running unexpectedly out of gas.

(As I mentioned two members of a club I belonged to did exactly this and lost their lives.) A manifolded twinset will not stop this in the way that most are used with the centre valve open.

I just personally feel that many individuals buy large expensive manifolded twins because they see others doing this, whether they really need them or not. In reality most dives could be done with independant cylinders, which in my view gives better redundancy, more flexibility and also instills the automatic action of switching valves during dives.

I can see the use for manifolded twins on much deeper dives where the amount of gas carried is a real issue, but I do see this as a trade off against the benefits of total redundancy.

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

If you can replace your primary in the independent setup you also top up your gas supply for dive number two on a short, two dive day trip vs. being stuck with whatever you have left in the manifolded doubles.

I do appreciate the benefit of full access for team diving if you wind up sharing your long hose. That is hard to replicate on independents in terms of access to full supply for both divers and hose setup for really easy sharing.

RBW Member Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote has a spectacular aura about Dean Coote's Avatar
    LAR VI ,CDBA, Fenzy po68

Dolphin,Ray,Copis,Sports kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    Before moving to rebreathers, I dived for the previous 15 years with independant twins. Starting with twin 8's when I used air and moving to twin 12's + deco cylinder when I started using nitrox.

I always had lots of gas for all the dives I did upto 50-60m and got into the habit of switching regs.

My worst fear when diving OC was always the scenario of running unexpectedly out of gas.

(As I mentioned two members of a club I belonged to did exactly this and lost their lives.) A manifolded twinset will not stop this in the way that most are used with the centre valve open.

I just personally feel that many individuals buy large expensive manifolded twins because they see others doing this, whether they really need them or not. In reality most dives could be done with independant cylinders, which in my view gives better redundancy, more flexibility and also instills the automatic action of switching valves during dives.

I can see the use for manifolded twins on much deeper dives where the amount of gas carried is a real issue, but I do see this as a trade off against the benefits of total redundancy.
    I started with a manifolded set of ali tens (Aquarius) simple kit 205 bar no spg . Close one tank breathe the other down equalise close the valve breathe the tank down, equalise leave bottom.

I tried your way breathe one side then breathe the other. I was doing 50 bar per side. I found i was doing to much work and spending time worrying about how much gas i was drinking or which reg was easier to breathe from.
    Scubapro i think in 86 brought out a manifold to join two tanks (no isolator ) loved it.
    A lot less work, more time to see the dive.

I agree with you on the advertising of manifolds but i think they have saved lives and used correctly they are safer then single tanks strapped together .
    You dont have to be deep to share air with a diver in poo street.

Only my opinion. each to there own.

Dean

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Coote  View Original Post
    I agree with you on the advertising of manifolds but i think they have saved lives and used correctly they are safer then single tanks strapped together .
    You dont have to be deep to share air with a diver in poo street.

Only my opinion. each to there own.

Dean

I agree with you that they have their place when used correctly.

BUT, I do not believe in the isolation valve some use in the middle.

Yes it has a purpose, but it has caused more deaths and accidents than what it has saved.

When I dove back mount doubles, I never used an isolation manifold.

Now all I dive is sidemount, and I feel it is much safer for me as a solo cave diver.