+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Andrea Doria Bell recovered on TDL Expedition

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

MK15, Draeger, TheKyle-CCR

Andrea Doria Bell recovered on TDL Expedition

June 26, 2010

Andrea Doria Bell Recovered

The famous oceanliner shipwreck Andrea Doria that sunk in 1956 in the Atlantic Ocean still gives up treasures. Today aboard the R/V Explorer on the Silverstein/****** 2010 Andrea Doria Expedition divers Ernest Rookey and Carl Bayer located and recovered a bell from the Andrea Doria.

This particular bell is suspected to be the "crows nest bell." The divers searched the debris field in 240 feet of water while diving on untethered mixed gas scuba gear, and located a small portion of the bell exposed from the sand.

On-board this expedition was noted Andrea Doria historian and popular author Gary Gentile. Gary was the lead diver in the 1985 recovery of the stern bell. Other attempts to locate the forward bell in 1993 were unsucessful. "There was never any proof that a crows nest bell existed until today." said Gentile who has been diving the wreck since 1974 and has more documented dives on the Andrea Doria than any other diver. "This is an outstanding and historic find," said expedtion leader Joel Silverstein. "In my 18 years of of diving the Doria this is probably the most significant artifact found," he added.

"Ernest Rookey (Jackson, NJ) and Carl Bayer (Hillsborough, NJ) are both experienced deep mixed gas divers. This was their first expedition to the Andrea Doria." said Captain David ******. "Andrea Doria expeditions are hard core adventures; a discovery like this one just makes it all that more special," he added.

Expedition participants include: Captain David ******, Joel Silverstein, Gary Gentile, Chris Gini, Kathy Mallon, Laila Richard, Carl Bayer, Ernest Rookey and Ric Simon.

The Andrea Doria is located 55 miles off the coast of Nantuket in 250 feet of water. It's been called the Mt. Everest of Diving due to its location, depth and extreme conditions.

Contact: Joel Silverstein 928-230-3680 Tech Diving Limited Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.
    Attached Images

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Re: Andrea Doria Bell recovered on TDL Expedition

Great job everyone! What a great adventure to find this and have Gary on the boat as well. I could not even imagine finding that on any dive there, yet alone if it was my first. Congratulations to two that found it, I am sure they will be smilling for years to come (I know I would).

(Joel and Dave, nice matching rolex's)

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Nice one guys. A feat most of us could only ever dream of!

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

Quote Originally Posted by NEDIVER  View Original Post
    Great job everyone! What a great adventure to find this and have Gary on the boat as well. I could not even imagine finding that on any dive there, yet alone if it was my first. Congratulations to two that found it, I am sure they will be smilling for years to come (I know I would).

(Joel and Dave, nice matching rolex's)
    As to the Rolex.......... mine was a gift to me from my wife Kathy. It was actually the Late Rod Farb's watch. She purchased it from his estate. It's quite special.

This was an exciting expedition with just a few clients on Captain Dave ******'s R/V Explorer. The only thing that would have make this trip more perfect was to have my partner and wife Kathy Weydig with us.

There are more fotos and videos and more to come on face book.

More photos are on FACE BOOK

Cheers
    JDS

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Congratulations! That's an amazing artifact/trophy!

RBW Member Stewart McMickan is an unknown quantity at this point Stewart McMickan's Avatar

Nice one lads well done to one and all.

KISS Classic # 275

Andrea Doria 2010 Expedition aboard R/V Explorer L/R
    Ric Simon, Kathy Mallon, Chris Gini, Carl Bayer, Ernie Rookie, Capt. Dave ******, expedition leader Joel Silvestein and historian Gary Gentile. Not shown Laila Richard
    Last edited by JS1scuba; 27th June 2010 at 15:20.

The jungle CCR guy !!! brunospf is an unknown quantity at this point brunospf's Avatar
    Megalodon Apecs 2.7 with SW

Megalodon Apecs 2.7a

Well done. Congratulations for all the team !!

Diving on the Doria is a dream for me. Sometime in the future I will be prepare to down at this wreck !

cheers,

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba  View Original Post

Andrea Doria 2010 Expedition aboard R/V Explorer L/R
    Ric Simon, Kathy Mallon, Chris Gini, Carl Bayer, Ernie Rookie, Capt. Dave ******, expedition leader Joel Silvestein and historian Gary Gentile. Not shown Laila Richard

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Getting the boat cleaned up, it's been a long two weeks. There was a lot of other good stuff found, details as I have time. I'll write a complete trip report when I have a moment. The bell is the one that was located above the central window of the bridge. It's one of three bells that was aboard, and the second one located.

As usual, EXPLORER enjoyed great food, great weather, and great companionship on this voyage. Another lucky trip.

Dave

Attached Images
    Last edited by MB; 27th June 2010 at 18:31.

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Great job Dave and congrats to all involved !!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast