+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

RBW Member CraigP is an unknown quantity at this point CraigP's Avatar
    Inspiration

Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

I’m not aware if this is already available at faraway destinations e.g. truk, red sea etc. But wouldn’t it be less hassle if you could hire the bare bones of a rebreather, namely.

Case
    Cylinders (I know these are available)
    1st stage valves
    Lungs (open for discussion)
    Contents gauges
    Hose’s
    Mouth piece (may be)
    Buoyancy aid bits and pieces.
    ADV

Leaving you to bring what is really the business end of the rebreather and the thing you like to know the history of, the scrubber canister and controller + bov if desired.

This would allow easy travel without weight penalties. Maybe rebreather manufactures /suppliers would give good discounts for the supply of the above to rebreather friendly operator’s to encourage use of their units. I’m not sure of what cost would be attached for the hire but I wouldn’t think too much, as maintenance would be no different to open circuit.
    My point being their would be very little outlay to the operator to purchase the above bits(compared with a complete rebreather) and the hirer would know the history of the controller.

Having taken my Inspiration to the red sea once to undertake my Mod 2 course, its not something you do lightly especially as weight restriction seem to be changing daily. I think the wife would notice that my case was filled entirely by my unit, however she may not notice the scrubber/controller. “Its my new snorkel thingy” would be how the conversation would go “just in case I get the odd few minutes to do a dive I mean snorkel”

So the question is would you rent?
    Last edited by CraigP; 22nd June 2010 at 14:09. Reason: clarification

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP  View Original Post
    I’m not aware if this is already available at faraway destinations e.g. truk, red sea etc. But wouldn’t it be less hassle if you could hire the bare bones of a rebreather, namely.

Case
    1st stage valves
    Contents gauges
    Hose’s
    Mouth piece (may be)
    ADV

Leaving you to bring what is really the business end of the rebreather and the thing you like to know the history of, the scrubber canister and controller + bov if desired.

This would allow easy travel without weight penalties. Maybe rebreather manufactures /suppliers would give good discounts for the supply of the above to rebreather friendly operator’s to encourage use of their units. I’m not sure of what cost would be attached for the hire but I wouldn’t think too much, as maintenance would be no different to open circuit.

Having taken my Inspiration to the red sea once to undertake my Mod 2 course, its not something you do lightly especially as weight restriction seem to be changing daily. I think the wife would notice that my case was filled entirely by my unit, however she may not notice the scrubber/controller. “Its my new snorkel thingy” would be how the conversation would go “just in case I get the odd few minutes to do a dive I mean snorkel”

we have 2 fully functional hybrid rEvo III (one mini/one standard) located in Safaga (red sea) for rent, for certified divers
    no need to bring anything with you
    for renting and diving, contact the 'rebreather pool' at Orca Safaga

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler is just really nice FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP  View Original Post

Case
    1st stage valves
    Contents gauges
    Hose’s
    Mouth piece (may be)
    ADV

My point being their would be very little outlay to the operator to purchase the above bits(compared with a complete rebreather) and the hirer would know the history of the controller.

Titan rebreathers are setting up something like that where their dealers will have loaner Titans available and you would just pay for tank rental, sorb/EA and fills.

Blacklisted Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate will become famous soon enough Devils Advocate's Avatar
    1 of 6 on the shelf.

Wink Re: Holiday rental. How much would you hire?

The ex Tekstreme team have that set up at Werner Lau Tek in Sharm el Sheikh. They started this a while ago and now have for rent to qualified CCR divers the following,
    Inspiration Vision,
    Inspiration shell without electronics,
    Copis megalodon,
    Apeks/Shearwater megalodon,
    Pelagian,
    Poseidon MK6
    Cylinders, sorb etc are all available as well.

Aaron.

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Orca in Safaga have an Inspo Classic and a Vision available under their 'rent a box' scheme. You just take your head - the rest is there to rent at very reasonable rates, especially compared to excess baggage and insurance costs.

A buddy and I rented them for our Level III course earlier this year. It worked out well, but it's worth taking into account that you'll need a bit more prep time to make sure everything works and is set up as you want it.

Cheers,

Phil