+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sentinel or AP Evolution Plus ? ?

RBW Member MD-Goingdiving is an unknown quantity at this point MD-Goingdiving's Avatar

Smile Sentinel or AP Evolution Plus ? ?

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first rebreather and see many pro's and con's between the different units, however I seem to be at a cross roads between a Sentinel or a AP Evolution Plus ? I would be very interested to hear from any one with views on this. ( Let the can of worms begin ! ! )

Range of diving 40 to 50 m Max for just sports purposes.

RBW Member thezipp is an unknown quantity at this point thezipp's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Evolution, rEvo III Ti st.

Re: Sentinel or AP Evolution Plus ? ?

HI:
    I just completed my cross over training to a rEvo. I had been trained on AP's Inspiration and Evolution prior. I did all the training for the AP rebreathers in warm tropical water, Florida and Honduras. I owned an Evolution and when it tried it in cold water with a dry suit I did not care for it too much. I find that I like the back mounted counter lungs and uncluttered front of the rEvo more. Try as many as you can in demo classes before deciding and purchasing a unit.
    JZ

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

It's your first post and a fair one, but IMHO the kind of decision you're trying to make isn't one you should leave for someone else to determine for you.

There's plenty of information on this site about both rebreathers, read and read some more, and come to your own conclusions. The features of both have some similarities but also considerable differences.

If you get a chance try to dive both units. My guess is you'll find them considerably different. I've never dived with over-the-shoulder lungs but plenty of people do and seem to come back alive most of the time.

As you're in the UK, where both of the units you're looking at are from, I'm guessing you should be able to find somewhere or someone who would set you up for a try dive.

Welcome to the board. There's some outstanding information available though the use of the search function. I don't recall seeing much about the drawbacks of the Sentinel so I'd be a little cautious about that, however (former Sentinel owner here).

All The Gear, No Idea windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller's Avatar

I have both; originally had an inspo and px ed it against a Sentinel.

I originally learnt on an inspo so that is the one I feel most comfortable on at the mo.

The Sentinel is a serious piece of kit, built like a tank and weighs about the same! The nanny pre dive procedures can be annoying but they are there for a reason....Whilst most people will be jumping in off a boat you ll probably still be sat there waiting for the pre breathe to finish!..I find the back mounted lungs relatively easy at depth but when i get in the shallows i m up and down like a *****s drawers! Practice will remedy that. If you can get your head round a VR3 you ll be able to navigate the menus; i still refer to the manual! Underwater it trims and breathes great and I would recommend one after making a few changes...It needs longer hoses to the gas blocks, the flimsy bottom stand is a waste of time and the backplate needs to be longer; all have been remedied by visiting miflex and kent tooling!

The evo on the other hand hasnt needed any tinkering, It breathes great, its a lot easier to navigate round the menus as its a lot simpler and you can just set it up and go. I hav some troubles with my early vision but I very rarely hear of any problems these days. Its probably not as robustly built as the Sentinel but I still enjoy using it.

Time will tell on the Sentinel as I have only logged about 7 extra hours on it since the course.

Dont know if that helps?

Into Rubber Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W.'s Avatar
    Megalodon, HammerInspo

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by MD-Goingdiving  View Original Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first rebreather and see many pro's and con's between the different units, however I seem to be at a cross roads between a Sentinel or a AP Evolution Plus ? I would be very interested to hear from any one with views on this. ( Let the can of worms begin ! ! )

Range of diving 40 to 50 m Max for just sports purposes.
    You didnŽt tell us how you came to be at the cross roads between these two... If youŽd let us know, we could be pointed in the right direction, so to say..

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

I have owned a classic inspo for a year. Great unit to learn and customize. I have seen a sentinel but not dive it, but have speak several times with his owner (Phil Short) about the unit and i was really impressed about the features and the engeniering, i love my meg really but have think about selling it and by a sentinel. Do try dives and then choose your unit, for your style of diving.

RBW Member MD-Goingdiving is an unknown quantity at this point MD-Goingdiving's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joop W.  View Original Post
    You didnŽt tell us how you came to be at the cross roads between these two... If youŽd let us know, we could be pointed in the right direction, so to say..

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Just to follow up the above point. I had a try dive on a Evo unit with HUD and found it very simple and so easy to dive with. My buddy tried a INSPRO and we could have tried a EVO+ if we had more time and a Sentinel, which was the instructors unit, but we didnt have time and maybe a second try dive is a requirement. However I was discussing the various units with the people there and was also interested to gain peoples views. Why am i at this cross roads ?

AP Evo + ....My thoughts

5000 plus units sold

Used by lots of people probably the most common so others will have the units, have spares on boat and be able to assit with any issues if needed.

Armed forces use the units

Lots of testing done and well used

AP has a very good name

Pull dump on front within easy reach with other buttons

Simple computer system

Lots of pople i talk to already on rebreathers are moving to Sentinels

The Sentinel .....

Whilst it seems very high tech is too much at the hands of the computer ?

No automatic dump to pull if needed

Not many units sold after 18 months maybe due to credit crunch but has this machine been put through the mill to iron out issues ?

Nice clean front

Rear counter lungs

Various changes are needed to the unit ie the back plate and handle needs to be replaced with Kent Toolings steel goodies and i have read some hoses also need to be longer. I'm not worried about the extra cost I would just like to take it out the box and go diving and tweak it in time for preference not have to change it from day one, as many seem to have made such changes.

Is the Sentinel for existing rebreather users not newbies, is the Evo more suited to newbies ?

There seems to be a lot of bad feeling about the VR3 software programmes.

RBW Member jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver's Avatar
    Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by MD-Goingdiving  View Original Post
    I'm not worried about the extra cost I would just like to take it out the box and go diving and tweak it in time for preference not have to change it from day one, as many seem to have made such changes.

Is the Sentinel for existing rebreather users not newbies, is the Evo more suited to newbies ?

There seems to be a lot of bad feeling about the VR3 software programmes.
    I have a Sentinel.

I brought it having never dived a Rebreather, I've found it great, no problems at all moving from OC.

I've had mine for just over a year, and it's pretty much as it was out of the box. Only the harness has been changed, oh, and I just got the KT stand for it.

The VR software does take a little time to get used to, but once you've got the hang of it, it's not so bad.

On the whole, I'm happy with mine, and wouldn't swap it for a differant unit.

RBW Member Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MEG (COPIS II)

Have you ever dived a CCR?

I would urge you to really take your time and look, better still *try*, as many different units as you can before parting with your cash. Just buying a unit based on internet views could prove to be a very costly mistake and may put you off CCR diving altogether.

The best unit for one person is not necessarily the best unit for someone else. I have a JJ in Oxford if you want to check that out. I would urge to look at the Revo and the Meg as well. A KISS isn't a bad place to start and they can picked up for reasonable money, ditto the Inspo Classic.

RBW Member thezipp is an unknown quantity at this point thezipp's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Evolution, rEvo III Ti st.

I sold my Evo a couple of years ago due to possible issues with cancer. After resolving these issues over the last 2 years it was time to get back into rebreather diving. One of my concerns with going to a back mounted counter lung was not having the pull dump on the OTS counter lung. But I decided to give it a try with going to the rEVo. In the training I was taught to vent the counter lung by exhaling through the nose or around the mouth piece. As it turned out, this is very easy to do. But try as many of the units as you can. Also decide where you are going to dive the rebreather. My personal choice to go to the rEvo instead of going back to the Evo was for travel. Airlines are getting tough with luggage restrictions. Other factors were that with the Evo and a hard shell you are kind of limited too using 2L cylinders, unless you switch to a travel frame. So there are a lot of options with rebreathers. Explore them as much as possible before buying one.
    JZ
    PS: Also get a copy of Dr. Mel Clarks book Rebreathers Simplified and read it. It is a good book to read before buying.
    Last edited by thezipp; 8th June 2010 at 14:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast