+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR vs OC for asthmatics

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

CCR vs OC for asthmatics

I was asked a question at work that had me stumped - for asthmatics which is more likely to trigger an asthma attack while diving - cold dry air from OC or warm moist air from a CCR?

Re: CCR vs OC for asthmatics

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    I was asked a question at work that had me stumped - for asthmatics which is more likely to trigger an asthma attack while diving - cold dry air from OC or warm moist air from a CCR?
    I would think dry air. But, most asthma attacks are in Summer. Hot moist air. Laden with particles that cause the attack.

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Quote Originally Posted by mverick  View Original Post
    I would think dry air. But, most asthma attacks are in Summer. Hot moist air. Laden with particles that cause the attack.
    Although I supose another arguement could be that on CCR it is our lungs that drive the gas round the loop hence increased wob were as on OC once you have "cracked" the reg it throws gas at you ?

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

There are two types of triggers for Asthma.
    Allergens and exercise.

From what I am aware exercise induced asthmatics are not encouraged to dive.

With OC you are breathing a filtered gas so allergens should have little effect.

While with CCR you are recirculating the gas that travels through the scrubber that contains dust that could trigger an attack. Also WOB is higher so more likely to be induced through exercise.
    Last edited by Packhorse; 30th May 2010 at 07:39.

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    In theory warm moist air is better but in practise if you really have asthma you're better off picking another sport.

+ Reply to Thread