+ Reply to Thread

Thread: West Palm Beach trip report

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

West Palm Beach trip report

Today, Adrian, Kim and I woke at 5:45, packed 3 rebreathers and associated gear into a VW GTI (it all fit) and drove up to West Palm Beach to meet up with Marc Laukien.

Plan was for nothing specific, just to dive one of the reefs up there. NOAA called for 2-3 foot seas, but it turned out to be more like 3-5's.

We arrived at the reef, and splashed in 2 groups. Vis was ok at around 30-40 or so, but the current was smoking. While it was calmer on the reef than on the surface, boat GPS measured it at 3 knots.

Adrian and I had cameras but it was damn hard to compose when you are smoking along the reef.

Despite the current, and waves, it was a nice dive. One of the better reefs I have seen in South Florida with lots of relief and excellent life. Several goliath grouper, a turtle and several sharks zipping along the top side of the ledge.

Big thanks to Marc for all his hospitality!

RBW Member deepstops is an unknown quantity at this point deepstops's Avatar

Re: West Palm Beach trip report

Yeah, the weatherman was off a bit, I dove in Boynton and it was solid 3-5's with stiff wind from the south that was probably adding to Marc's 3 knot drift reading. Viz in Boynton down at 20-30' and it was 72 near the surface and 69-70 at 100'. My buddy Kev and I were paid a visit by 12' Great Hammerhead on the second dive. Very cool....

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Vis was ok at around 30-40 or so, but the current was smoking. While it was calmer on the reef than on the surface, boat GPS measured it at 3 knots.

Adrian and I had cameras but it was damn hard to compose when you are smoking along the reef.

Despite the current, and waves, it was a nice dive. One of the better reefs I have seen in South Florida with lots of relief and excellent life. Several goliath grouper, a turtle and several sharks zipping along the top side of the ledge.

Big thanks to Marc for all his hospitality!
    Yep, as if getting fish to pose for a picture wasn't difficult enough, the current did make it extra challenging today. I looked through my pics and didn't see any worth bragging about. I did have one shot of the turtle Tony mentioned:

Also, as Tony stated, Marc was an excellent host, and despite the fact that he hasn't dove his rebreather in quite some time, everything went smoothly for him underwater:

Thanks again Marc!

RBW Member MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien is just really nice MarcLaukien's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima, HammerHead, KISS

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, despite the cold, extreme current, and the rough ocean! This would not have been a good trip for divers who do not have a high tolerance against seasickness.

RBW Member moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund's Avatar
    Oxygen Rebreather

RG/U-FM mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Today, Adrian, Kim and I woke at 5:45, packed 3 rebreathers and associated gear into a VW GTI (it all fit) and drove up to West Palm Beach to meet up with Marc Laukien.
    I hate you all, lucky dogs!

+ Reply to Thread