+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BTS ... Nothing Cool?

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

Re: BTS ... Nothing Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt  View Original Post
    whats new about that? we all have been doing this for years.....
    Yes...the 2 computers and tables is SOP. What Steve presented was a way to calculate deco on the fly.

What I meant was that the algorithm for "on the fly" deco calculations, different from ratio deco, that was presented was very straight forward and easy to remember. For moderate dives, i.e., up to 200 fsw, the deco schedule generated on the fly is remarkably close to GF or VPM. Just a good additional mental tool in the kit.

So, if the shark ate your arm with both computers and you dropped your tables because you had your dominant hand eaten, you could still complete a safe schedule.
    Last edited by Sharky1948; 29th March 2010 at 15:04.

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcascione  View Original Post
    We old BTS hands thought this year was a really good show. Sorry about the room confusion but you know the BTS staff are all volunteers and the convention center and other outside forces cause last minute changes. The small minority of us staff volunteers that dive CCRs were probably playing hooky in the Rebreather room catching the presentations. Next year maybe we'll print out a cheat sheet with the most obvious questions answered so every unpaid staffer knows the basics.

Me, I like the little stuff. How about the guy over at Indian Valley Scuba that designed a backplate with rollers at the waist belt so you could actually adjust your harness on the fly instead of struggling for a half hour pulling belts through slits because you changed exposure suits? I also played with the Spectrum Reel for a while and believe it may actually be the first really foolproof of the allegedly foolproof reels.

After a couple of longing minutes at Shearwater I realized that this is the year I retire my VR3.

I had a conspiracy working with a few pals. We were going to place a drape over a crate with a sign that said APOC and roll it through the show then out the back door. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of violent reaction.

I got my free RBW t-shirt and that made it all worthwhile. See you next year.

Yeah I know and I have no real complaints about BTS, I've attended for most of the last dozen years. It was just a little frustrating as I attempted to find the room 20 minutes before the session and yet found myself showing up a couple of minutes after 8:00.

I was tempted, during Mark Nix's presentation, to say, when they were discussing the APOC, that it started shipping that day just to see peoples' reactions. Since so many were at the show I figured it unlikely that many had a chance to be online and would have been in kind of a blackout as far as news go but I decided not to disrupt the proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba  View Original Post
    The other very cool thing was Leon's new mini recreational rebreather. Small canister, 2 6 cuft bottles, over-the-shoulder CLs ..... this machine was the bomb.
    Did anyone get pictures of the ISC new breather? That mini sounds pretty cool.

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Wasn't it announced at last BTS, unveiled 6 months ago at DEMA? Or was that the shearwater OMS Megalodon (oh look, it's Orange!) ?

You'd think that ISC would be excited to demo, highlight their new rebreathers.

Though supposedly their moto is that they lead and other follows, it might be as up to date as their web site (they'll update it the day of the Apocalypse). Maybe the new rebreathers are just not that rEvo-lutionary?

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    You'd think that ISC would be excited to demo, highlight their new rebreathers.
    I spent some time at the ISC booth and was pretty impressed by both of the smaller units. I've never been a Meg fan, and I don't have any experience with EAC's, but the miniscule Predator, using a 4" cartridge, looked like it would be great for sub 40m dives and travel. The presenter (don't remember his name) was full of information, and gave me honest and satisfactory answers to all of my technical questions which was a pleasant surprise, as nothing irks me more than a vendor who knows less about their products than I've already learned in my research! I didn't check the price, but I could see picking one up to play with as a super lightweight play unit!

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Here's the front and back of the flyer I picked up.

Wow, this looks very cool. 25lbs! It'll be interesting to see WOB and real world scrubber durations.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime  View Original Post
    Here's the front and back of the flyer I picked up.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by nadwidny  View Original Post
    The guy with the furs and tights-not so cool. Well actually it was cool. I'm just jealous I would never be able to pull that look off.
    Oh you mean Captain Jeff Addis.....

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1948  View Original Post
    Yes...the 2 computers and tables is SOP. What Steve presented was a way to calculate deco on the fly.

What I meant was that the algorithm for "on the fly" deco calculations, different from ratio deco, that was presented was very straight forward and easy to remember. For moderate dives, i.e., up to 200 fsw, the deco schedule generated on the fly is remarkably close to GF or VPM. Just a good additional mental tool in the kit.

So, if the shark ate your arm with both computers and you dropped your tables because you had your dominant hand eaten, you could still complete a safe schedule.

Would it not be more useful for someone who attended this presentation to open a thread and report the actual details of the calculation with the usual disclaimers?

John

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by UWSojourner  View Original Post
    Wow, this looks very cool. 25lbs! It'll be interesting to see WOB and real world scrubber durations.
    Not to take anything away from ISC but I think the Pelagian is a similar weight/price and granular sorb is more available at travel destinations. To date I have seen 3 different units in use without issues. Its been on the market in use for some years now. If I was in the market for a CCR that could fit in my carryon and meet the weight requirements it would be top of the list fitted with a Shearwater.

John
    Last edited by jkaterenchuk; 31st March 2010 at 01:14.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast