+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just another day in a 17th century silver mine...

Silver Mine Junkie Dragan is on a distinguished road Dragan is on a distinguished road Dragan's Avatar
    Sentinel

Just another day in a 17th century silver mine...

My dear buddy Anders
    engmannen-Rebreather World-View Profile
    brought his new Tokina lens instead of the fisheye on our latest trip to the local pond and I thought I'd share the result with you guys considering the awesome look of the model :)

Sala Silvergruva jag provade Tokina 11-16

The dive site is a 17th century mine, Sala Silvermine, located 120 km west of Stockholm, Sweden. The water level starts 155m below ground level and stretches to 318m according to the old mine maps. Exploration efforts have so far taken us to some 70 meters while searching for a route to the royal marker that is supposed to be located on the 250m-level, i.e. approx. 95-100m depth.

Regards

/Jonas

www.rebreather.com.br zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave has a spectacular aura about zmcave's Avatar
    O2ptima / Liberty / Dolphin

Re: Just another day in a 17th century silver mine...

awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Love to dive mines, always very interesting.
    Water too cold?
    Best,

Zé.

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Great pictures! They make me wish that I was diving in Sweden.

Paul

Silver Mine Junkie Dragan is on a distinguished road Dragan is on a distinguished road Dragan's Avatar
    Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by zmcave  View Original Post
    awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Love to dive mines, always very interesting.
    Water too cold?
    Best,

Zé.
    Depends on how you define "too" cold.

2 degrees Celsius all year round, both on the surface platform and in the water. A bit warmer as you get deeper and away from the main schafts running all the way to the surface. Schafts allow cold air to pour down and fill the mine during winter.

Approx. 3-4 degrees at depth depending on instrument calibration. It really fools you on longer, deeper dives since you don't feel cold at all until you start reaching around 30-35 meters and face reality...

The past years of diving the mine has really taught us a lot about how to dress during cold water diving. In 2006 when we started diving the site, we thought we knew a lot about cold water diving from diving deep wrecks in the Baltic Sea. When we started diving in the mine we realized that runtimes of around one hour were considered offensive. Nowadays we regularly do around two hours just for fun and have no big hesitations of planning dives stretching up to three hours if needed.

Everyone know about dressing in multiple layers, but it isn't until the last maybe two years that we have realized how important it is *what* you wear in the different layers and found items that work together. Better to wear the correct items in thinner layers than ending up like a Sumo wrestler with loads of thick undergarment...

Trust me when I say that we tried almost everything.
    We even tried what was supposed to be an old caver trick for cold water diving: with dry gloves, use surgery latex gloves directly on the skin and then isolation material on top of that. That kind of *not* worked, except maybe for a winter in Florida. So much for old caver tricks

Regards

/Jonas

rEvoluzzer onliner is an unknown quantity at this point onliner's Avatar
    SF2 mCCR, rEvo III mCCR

Hai Jonas,

what do you use for layers, that works for you in this water temperature ?

Thank you for your support.

Regards

Volker

Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by onliner  View Original Post
    Hai Jonas,

what do you use for layers, that works for you in this water temperature ?

Thank you for your support.

Regards

Volker
    Everyone has their own special solution regarding details, but most of us have one thing in common which is the main reason for being able to cope with long time exposure:
    Merino Wool.

I can take my own configuration as an example...

Inner layer from Ice breaker:
    260g/m2 Merino Wool trousers and sweater
    Icebreaker - Man - Bodyfit260 - L/S Crewe
    Icebreaker - Man - Bodyfit260 - Legging W/Fly

Thin Merino Wool liners for both hands and feet
    Icebreaker - Man - Hike - Hike Liner Crew
    Icebreaker - Man - - Glove Liner

Hotfoot socks from 4th Element on top of the liners
    Hotfoot Thermal Drysuit Undersuit Socks : Fourth Element

When paying for a complete Icebreaker set you feel ripped off since they cost about as much as a Weezle Extreme+, but trust me when I say that feeling is gone once you start using the products. On top of being really warm, the need for doing laundry sort of vanishes. There simply is no way to get these things to smell and that's really appreciated during longer periods of diving.

Thick inner gloves on top of liners, most of us have the ones used in skiing gloves from Hestra.

400 g/m2 vest from Wool Power to increase amount of insulation on torso without restricting movement
    A lot of insulation and works great at binding moisture, I can't even use my electrical vest without this since I get cold from simply wearing the non-breathing heater.
    Woolpower - wool, garments, underwear, ull, underkläder, thermo-wear, micron, work-wear, merino, merinoull, klar, underställ, ullunderställ, undergarment, wool, kyla, trikå, frotté, frotte, ulltröja, ullbyxa, ullkalsong, flamskydd, frottéstickning, s

Electrical vest to make things more comfortable, but not necessarily needed to be able to complete the dive.
    If the heater works, everyone is happy. If it doesn't, expect to be colder than what is actually fun but there is no problem doing the needed time. Basically, using the right undergarment there should be no need to shave deco unless someone rip a dry suit or get seriously ill during the dive. A malfunctioning electrical vest does not fulfill any of those conditions :)

Top level thick undersuit of various types. Basically any of the high grade suits work if you have dressed properly. Most used in the project group are Weezle Extreme+, DUI 400 and 4th Element SubX in no special order.

Regards

/Jonas

RBW Member Doc is an unknown quantity at this point Doc's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Great pictures !

Doc

Jeff Tindall icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac is just really nice icestac's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima

Great pics, looks like a fun dive. Did you all come up with any silver?

Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by icestac  View Original Post
    Great pics, looks like a fun dive. Did you all come up with any silver?
    We do that all the time, big blocks of silver just laying around waiting to be brought to the surface and used to pay for additional dive gadgets

Not really. There are some places with "shiny" blocks laying around, but keep in mind that the entire place is an archeological site. So far, we haven't brought a single thing to the surface except for photo/video documentation that we share with the company responsible for the mine.

Most of the remains (mining tools, transportation equipment etc.) that we've found so far have also been found in the dry sections and hence there is no need to bring the items to the surface.

The mine itself contain massive amounts of silver compared to other mines. If I remember correctly almost ten times as much as what would be needed to make it a good deal to restart the mining. The "only" problem is that the mine also contain large quantitites of mercury. With todays environmental regulations what you gain from the massive amounts of silver is lost when also having to handle the mercury in an environmental friendly way. Hence not an option to restart mining using todays technology...

Regards

/Jonas

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Hejsan Jonas!

Very cool pictures! The visibility looks incredible in that mine. Was it very difficult to obtain permission from the mining company to dive there? I ask, because we have several abandoned silver mines in Northern Utah that might be interesting to dive in. Any concerns about contaminants in the water?

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
    Randy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast