+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoursing Recommendations for a 5D Mark II

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Hoursing Recommendations for a 5D Mark II

I've tried searching around in the archives and googling a bit. I'm wondering if folks have specific recommendations for a housing for the Canon 5D Mark II... after years of hemming and hawing, the high ISO/low noise and overall performance has come up to a point on the Canon 5D that we have taken the plunge and bought one with the idea that maybe with some luck and study that we can bring home some professionalish photos from our trips. If folks have a general recommendation on a housing manufacturer that would be fine too.

So far the Aquatica Housing
    is looking pretty amazing, rated for 300 Ft and I believe there is an upgrade to 425. Most housings for the Mark II seem to only be rated for 200FT. I'm wondering if there is something that will do the job well but not cost quite so much, these housings cost some serious coin! And regardless of the cost, I'd like to know what folks like the best, as I can pretty well predict we'll choose quality over price once we get over the sticker shock.

thanks!
    g

Gill Envy

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Hoursing Recommendations for a 5D Mark II

Though I have not used one of these, have held one and I must say, they
    look very sweet, this is the direction I would go, my opinion.

Hugyfot Underwater Camera Housings

Member jdunlap is on a distinguished road jdunlap is on a distinguished road jdunlap's Avatar
    Meg

I can speak to the quality of the Aquatica housings. I've been using one for my 20D since 2006 and about 11 months with my 5D MII. Both have the deep springs upgrade kit and have been used in that depth range with no issues what so ever.

Control layout is excellent and easy to get used to. I use the 8" acrylic domes for the EFS 10-22 on the 20D and the EF 16-35 on the 5D. I was thinking of upgrading to the 9" glass dome, but I get good results with the 8" even wide open and I don't mind abusing a $500 dome versus a $1500 dome.

I would highly recommend the Aquaview view finder; makes a huge difference in low light and it gets the eyepiece closer to the mask which can be tricky with DSVs and especially BOVs.

About the only maintenance I do other than lubing the rings to to polish the small scratches out of the domes about once a year (caves) and install new o-rings just to be safe.

Let me know if you have other / specific questions.

Geoff Brandon what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be is a jewel in the rough what2be's Avatar
    Evolution

APOC, but I died on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    I've tried searching around in the archives and googling a bit. I'm wondering if folks have specific recommendations for a housing for the Canon 5D Mark II... after years of hemming and hawing, the high ISO/low noise and overall performance has come up to a point on the Canon 5D that we have taken the plunge and bought one with the idea that maybe with some luck and study that we can bring home some professionalish photos from our trips. If folks have a general recommendation on a housing manufacturer that would be fine too.

So far the Aquatica Housing
    is looking pretty amazing, rated for 300 Ft and I believe there is an upgrade to 425. Most housings for the Mark II seem to only be rated for 200FT. I'm wondering if there is something that will do the job well but not cost quite so much, these housings cost some serious coin! And regardless of the cost, I'd like to know what folks like the best, as I can pretty well predict we'll choose quality over price once we get over the sticker shock.

thanks!
    g
    Aquatica is a great housing , especially for deep stuff. I have the 5d2 housing and the 9.25 dome, the lens's I use are the 100mm with a 1.4tc for macro, and a 16-35, a 24-70 and a 14. Im using the ds200 strobes with it, but am looking into either the L&M led light kit or maybe some simple ds165 that do both strobe and video. As another poster said, the aquaview is a must.

Check around your area, im sure someone has one you can put your hands on and look at.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the Aquatica is the way to go. I've heard from the manufacturer, and the deeper rating upgrade is at no charge. If anyone else has recommendations feel free to post. I'll be putting this one on the list and mulling it over for a while.

g

Gill Envy

RBW Member Chris R is an unknown quantity at this point Chris R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the Aquatica is the way to go. I've heard from the manufacturer, and the deeper rating upgrade is at no charge. If anyone else has recommendations feel free to post. I'll be putting this one on the list and mulling it over for a while.

g
    Hi Gill,
    I am in a similar quandary and I had narrowed the choice down to Hugy or Aquatica. I had decided on the Aquatica when people keep mentioning the Hugycheck thing. Testing the system integrity with air rather than water, that is a MAJOR bonus!
    So, I am still undecided.......Arghhhhhh!
    Happy choosing....
    Regards
    Chris
    P.S I have just seen a secondhand Aquatica 5D Mark 2 for sale on Wetpixel, maybe worth a look?
    Last edited by Chris R; 19th February 2010 at 09:43. Reason: Added P.S

RBW Member Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration's Avatar

Hi

I know somebody that is switching now from HUGY to Aquatica. He is using the system mainly for UW-Video and not for pictures. The main reasons are:
    • Build in hydrophone
    • Button to start/stop video much better located
    • Camera is much easier to insert into the housing
    • Better mounting points for external monitor
    • Better mounting points for video lights and flash

Best regards

Dietmar

Banned Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave's Avatar
    Megalodon

Evolution, Pathfinder

You should give Mike at H2O Photo Pro's a call. I just spoke to him the other day and he was test diving several housings for the camera. He can probably tell you what he likes / dislikes about each of them.

I personally dive an Aquatica and love it, but i'm not shooting video with mine. Worth the $

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

I had a long discussion with Jean from Aquatica about the 5d mkII housing and they were going to try and adapt the Gates Seal Check system into it for added safety.

I highly recommend them.

Regards,

Lance

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Another vote for Aquatica, though I haven't used a Hugy. Ergonimics shooting are great on the 7D, video is so so due to Start/Stop button placement.

I'd be seriously keen on getting some sort of pre-dive seal integrity check system, though lets hope they release a basic affordable setup rather than anything too complicated. The Hugy and Gates systems appear to use electronic though I'm not sure why. Logically a negative pressure pump, gauge and brain should do the same.

Damien Siviero Photography

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast