+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Thoughts on advice on which to unit to choose...

RBW Member frank_the_tank is an unknown quantity at this point frank_the_tank's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Cool WTD: Thoughts on advice on which to unit to choose...

Hi,

I have been diving open circuit for the last 10 years and have decided to take the plunge and move over to eCCR in Spring/Summer this year.

The decision to go down the eCCR route was the easy part. Deciding which unit is now the difficult bit. I am in no rush and happy to do my research first. My diving is UK wreck diving (not currently trimix) and I am looking to increase depth and run time capability and generally advance my diving. I would rather go CCR than spend money on OC trimix only to then go CCR at a later date.

From initial research (albeit early days and a slightly bewildering task) my thoughts were the JJ CCR or the Sentinel. In honesty, my choices were influenced by the positive things I have read on here, passing conversations with users and both having little chest clutter (this was a big plus for me). I had not considered the Inspo Vision as I was put off by the YBOD stigma as well as the cluttered chest area which just does not look neat. I am in the military and someone told me the Inspo Vision was like a Chieftain Tank to the Sentinels Challenger 2 (apologies to those who this means nothing to)...

So, my choice was 2. However, nothing is ever simple... I have just been offered a 2nd hand Inspo Vision from a trusted friend that would cost me significantly less than a new JJ or Sentinel. I could also do the training throught the military at no cost (not so the other 2).

I would welcome any advice. Clearly the easiest choice is the Inspo as I would save myself a sack load of cash. However, I would hate to spend what is still a considerable amount of cash only to decide I have made a mistake 6months down the line.

Thank you in advance.

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Re: WTD: Thoughts on advice on which to unit to choose...

Quote Originally Posted by frank_the_tank  View Original Post
    The decision to go down the eCCR route was the easy part.
    Welcome aboard. Why was deciding to go eCCR the easy part?

RBW Member frank_the_tank is an unknown quantity at this point frank_the_tank's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by stunsm  View Original Post
    Welcome aboard. Why was deciding to go eCCR the easy part?
    A typo, CCR was the easy part. In honesty, I have only ever dived with eCCR buddies and have never been exposed to mCCR. So in that respect I am going with what I am familiar with (albeit in a very limited fashion). Oh, and i'm of the digital age and like electronics...

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by frank_the_tank  View Original Post
    A typo, CCR was the easy part. In honesty, I have only ever dived with eCCR buddies and have never been exposed to mCCR. So in that respect I am going with what I am familiar with (albeit in a very limited fashion). Oh, and i'm of the digital age and like electronics...
    and why never considered rEvo (also backmounted to minimise cluttered chest) ?

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Before you lay down any cash, it wouldn't hurt to dig through the forums, there has been plenty written on eCCR vs. mCCR. I too love electronics and gadgets, but as I work with computers for a living, I can't for a second trust my life to one! Good luck!

Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    and why never considered rEvo (also backmounted to minimise cluttered chest) ?

paul
    No good reason at all other than not ever having seen one... Maybe I will have a look! Cheers

Mr Fox Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox's Avatar
    Sentinel

KISS

if you can find an instructor close to you who's got a number of units, have a try dive on as many units as you can. Try all different units and don't write any off until you've tried them out, be it mCCR or eCCR.

Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Soggyfox  View Original Post
    if you can find an instructor close to you who's got a number of units, have a try dive on as many units as you can. Try all different units and don't write any off until you've tried them out, be it mCCR or eCCR.
    Any suggestions?

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Frank-The-Tank,

Do this test:

Take a rEvo, a Inspo, and a Sentinel (get 3 of your buddies to bring them over to your place to have a look).

Place them on the ground, next to each other closely.

Then, take a Hammerhead CCR, raise it above your head, and smash the 3 units above to smithereens.

Take a look at the Hammerhead, and see if it is damaged beyond some scratches here and there.

That is all you will need to know about what rig to buy.

Apologize to your friends, buy them each a pint, then let them do a try-dive on your new Hammerhead CCR.

This would actually make a great "road-show"...

Paul, can I borrow a rEvo?

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

That is all you will need to know about what rig to buy.
    Hi Kevin,

Can we see the test results of WOB and canister duration?
    Sorry, could'nt resist.