+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New hassles at the airports?

Wannabe...diven sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit's Avatar
    the best oNe

Question New hassles at the airports?

Wondering if anyone has traveled with their Rebreather sense the latest madness?

My sentence, I mean flight is Thursday and while I did the carry-on thing here I got kicked out of security once so I’m wondering about trying to find a box for the trip home

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

Re: New hassles at the airports?

I'm flying on Friday and I've been trawling around for info and spoke to couple of mates.

From what I can tell so far:
    1. Some flight entertainment systems have been switched off completely to disable the 'moving maps' part.
    2. Very invasive pat-downs for everyone getting on the plane.
    3. Hand searches of carry-on for large proportion of passengers.
    4. Nothing on laps for last hour of flight (no book, blankets, nothing) and no access to toilet.
    5. Strictly one item of carry-on.

This seems to be leading to long delays at security and for flights, but they don't seem to be messing particularly with checked luggage. If you're under the size for one piece, and have the time and patience and charm to get it through security, you'll probably be ok.

The biggest deal seems to be the delays, which could cause you to miss connections.

Ryan Battles battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5's Avatar
    rEvo II mini

This stuff kills me. Just like taking your shoes off and not being able to carry liquids, all of these steps are being done to address something that happened in the PAST. This stuff bears no relevance to flight safety going forward. So instead of putting controls in place to prevent these people from getting on board in the first place, the masses of people who just want to get from point A to point B get punished.

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

Banning the little image telling me where we are? Leave it to the yanks to keeep on winning the 'war on terror' by pi$$ing off travellers and stopping grandma from going pee-pee... (I can see RyanAir loving this new development!)

Have they banned colostomy bags (in case the sh!t hit the fan) as well?

cheers

Andy (are we there yet? / where the bloody hell are we?) Del

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

Looks like US domestic flights are completely unaffected, normal carry on, no special procedures.
    (from a sample size of a handful of people back in the office).

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

I'm in the Keys right now. Big TV article last night after the football game. People getting off flights in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale describing the latest round of ineffective rules on their flights. I didn't catch whether they were international or domestic flights.

I'm with Ryan. The TSA deals with stuff that's already happened and that has little relevance going forward. My own personal belief is that TSA is simply about displaying authority. (I especially believe that in the case of the taking off of shoes before passing to the gate.) They have no other function. Very ineffective and inefficient.

pl

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

It looks like we are losing the war on terror...

We are getting so many stupid and inefficient regulations and laws, that living in a Sharia-state is starting to look like paradise...

Death Before Discomfort nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Del  View Original Post
    Banning the little image telling me where we are? Leave it to the yanks to keeep on winning the 'war on terror' by pi$ off travellers and stopping grandma from going pee-pee... (I can see RyanAir loving this new development!)

Have they banned colostomy bags (in case the sh!t hit the fan) as well?

cheers

Andy (are we there yet? / where the bloody hell are we?) Del
    I'm not so sure turning off the little airplane on the screen is such a bad thing. I can't stop looking at it and it never moves, especially when flying across the Pacific.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeepGeek  View Original Post
    Looks like US domestic flights are completely unaffected, normal carry on, no special procedures.
    (from a sample size of a handful of people back in the office).
    Article on USA Today indicated last hour rules were to apply to International flights only... Just got off a Delta flight from CVG -> FLL and they did it...

Really confusing...

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    Article on USA Today indicated last hour rules were to apply to International flights only... Just got off a Delta flight from CVG -> FLL and they did it...

Really confusing...
    Don't be confused. The airlines are just trying to come up with a way to monitize this new event. Won't take them long I'm sure then it will be crystal clear.

My guess is no more carry on's and increased checked baggage fees.
    But I'm sure in the next couple weeks they'll come up with more ways to make
    money from these "new" security measures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast