+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pure o2 rebreather training

RBW Member Quick Silver is an unknown quantity at this point Quick Silver's Avatar

Pure o2 rebreather training

I have been reading about pure oxygen CCR 's for ages now. I like the idea of simple construction and no real clutter/weight.
    I have spotted that professionally built models sometimes come up for sale, (LAR V etc) and I think that this type of thing would suit me. But, I have not seen anyone offering training for any of these devices (Nottingham UK). How do people get started. Have I missed something?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks very much

Quick Silver

RBW Member carcharodon1957 is an unknown quantity at this point carcharodon1957's Avatar
    oxygers-ida 71-submatix

rEvo3 hCCR

Re: Pure o2 rebreather training

Hello QS:

go to the navy or engeeniers for! :-(

Aim of those CCR are made to be use by soldiers!
    Best way for you is to find a retired from them to teach you!

best regards
    Bernard

ps: by the way there is some of us around you!

Change your question and ask if there's any military divers who would like to inform and teach you some basis on it!

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Silver  View Original Post
    I have been reading about pure oxygen CCR 's for ages now. I like the idea of simple construction and no real clutter/weight.
    I have spotted that professionally built models sometimes come up for sale, (LAR V etc) and I think that this type of thing would suit me. But, I have not seen anyone offering training for any of these devices (Nottingham UK). How do people get started. Have I missed something?
    I just read the manual, jumped in and dived it. If you have already done rebreather training most of it crosses over. The big snags are ensuring you are really diving pure O2, I have a gauge, and and knowing your recovery drills.

The happy trick on a 6m dive rig is the if something horrible happens I just hold down the suit inflate and exhale until the world above appears then switch to the free, bulk 21%. If that failed the weight belt's going. The no-stop time on 100% O2 at 6m is forever and, provided you don't hold your breath, your TTS can be in seconds.

I dive an IDA64 Russian device that is probably older than half the people on the board. All I add is a drysuit/mask/fins and a suit inflate can. I've practised recovery games but it's never put a foot wrong although I must admit I overhaul it like I'm doing bomb disposal.

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Dave ****** (Dave ****** | Dave ******'s EXPLORER) teaches O2 rebreathers.

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

RB80 Clone, CastoroC96, RGU

I would imagine that most people are " self trained"
    at least that was the case with mysef.
    If you read and have an undersoonding of the way they are operating and follow a few basic rules they are very simple
    just my PO2
    ( I don't think we need an other course/ certification , in line with "Dry suit diving course" etc etc )

RBW Member RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17's Avatar

Beside keeping close watch on our depth, another critical part in diving pure O2 rigs are multiple pre dive oxygen loop flushes. You mention LAR V - there are some procedures described in US Navy Dive Manual Vol.II, as well as check lists and assembly process in Appendix C in 'Mastering Rebreathers' by Jeff Bozanic.
    rgrds
    Tom

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Cool Re: Pure o2 rebreather training

Hi,

basically agree with everything here.

Most of us who dive O2 rigs are self taught. (Although many have formal training of another sort, OC, SCR, CCR etc)

I've got a couple of homebuilts, an Rg-uf/m, an IDA 64a and I dive my Dolphin on pure O2 occaisionally.

Set it up, put it on turn the O2 on.

Breathe in deep and exhale through the nose. Do this at least twice (Some units like the Rg-uf/m need to be manually purged as there's no demand over supply). This gets rid of most of the nasty nitrogen from the system so you know you'll be getting plenty of oxygen. Some even say its OK to leave a bit of nitrogen in the system to lower CNS toxicity and if you stray a couple of meters too deep thebn not a biggie.

Hans Hass used to deliberately start a deep dive with a counterlung full of air to lower the O2 partial pressure at 60 to 70 feet! And with no O2 sensors!

Then its breathe in breathe out, watch your depth and if anything feels suspect the surface is a couple of seconds away.

Cheers,

Have fun,

Paua

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Cool Re: Pure o2 rebreather training

Oh yeah,

As long as you prebreathe the nitrogen out of the system as I mentioned above, an O2 rig is probably the safest rebreather to use. There will never be a decompression obligation, don't even need a safety stop.

I believe that they would be the absolute best rebreather for everyone to learn on. You learn all about controlling bouyancy with counterlung volume, correct mouthpiece discipline to avoid excess water entering, what a scrubber flood feels like (you will almost certainly encounter one sooner or later), and all at swimming pool depth.

I don't know whay they are not much more widespread, especially for initial training.

Comments anyone?

Cheers,

Paua

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paua  View Original Post

I don't know whay they are not much more widespread, especially for initial training.

Comments anyone?

Cheers,

Paua

Because none are available from a reliable and affordable commercial vendor.

Dave

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ******  View Original Post
    Because none are available from a reliable and affordable commercial vendor.

Dave

To that I would also add: A very simple pure O2 rebreather is the easiest of all homebuilt rigs to put together.

Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step

Anyone selling one to the non-military market would have little profit margin available when in competition with numerous basements, sheds, and garages.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast