15 12.30%
  • Greater than 5 years

15 12.30%
  • What is a medical examination

10 8.20%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Annual Dive Medicals

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Annual Dive Medicals

The spate of recent rebreather fatalities has just shocked me, and came at a time when I was starting to think they were on the decline. I take my CCR diving very seriously and have spent the last couple of years learning as much as I can about what makes CCRs work and done many training courses and continually keep honing my skills so I can pass on this knowledge to other divers and students to make diving safer for everybody. If I can help just one diver to come home safely after diving then I feel It has been worthwhile.

There are so many things that can go wrong that I have categorized them into 3 basic groups.

1/ Equipment failure
    2/ Diver Training
    3/ Diver Physiology

#1 the majority of CCR units currently available are very good, reliable machines although need constant monitoring so I will leave any further discussion to another topic.

#2 Diver training is still an issue I feel in some cases needs to be addressed as there are constant changes to equipment and not only that but there have been lessons learn from previous accidents which have led a lot changes to training procedures and techniques. It's not a requirement yet for instructors to participate in update workshops but I am sure this will change so all actively teaching instructors are teaching the latest techniques and not outdated ones learnt may years ago.

#3 Diver Physiology and regular medical checks is something I know more than one of you will cringe at the thought of. I also fly aeroplanes and as such have to have an annual medical examination which is VERY through and includes an ECG. It's peace of mind knowing that I am in good physical condition and there are no underlying problems I would not necessarily have known.

One of the observations I have made over the last couple of years is that a lot of technical divers and more to the point CCR divers are not young any more. Don't worry I fall into this group also!! I think there are a few reasons for this and my own situation is that I was just not financially able to invest the time any money into expensive equipment and long trips away training, until I was in the position where my family had grown up and moved out.

I think a lot of other divers have a similar situation so as such we are not as young nor as healthy as we once were although we all still feel at least 20 years younger!!. This leads to the potential for us becoming a little or a lot over weight, the possibility of developing Diabetes, heart disease and many more potentially life threatening diseases and conditions.

I am sure that in some of the recent fatalities Physiological conditions paid a part in these tragedies.

If you dive then you should have at least an annual check up even if it's only for the peace of mind knowing you are physically fit to dive and if you're not then it might just give you another chance to do something about it and dive another day.

I thought putting a poll up might work well as part of an ongoing discussion and I hope you will participate in a discussion on the topic.

Take Care out there guys.

Regards,

Lance

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Re: Annual Dive Medicals

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    I think a lot of other divers have a similar situation so as such we are not as young nor as healthy as we once were although we all still feel at least 20 years younger!!. This leads to the potential for us becoming a little or a lot over weight, the possibility of developing Diabetes, heart disease and many more potentially life threatening diseases and conditions.
    It is true that they say 50 is the new 30. The only problem is our hearts and lungs didn't get that memo.

Here is my pledge: The day I have my first heart episode, whether it be angina, MI or any other issue, or the day my doctor says I am no longer in good physical condition, is the day I retire from CCR diving.

It's not because I am afraid of dying underwater, but because I don't want to put anyone else who may try to rescue me in harms way. To have my last act on earth be one of such selfishness when I have been forewarned, possibly causing harm to others is not the way I want to be remembered. If my heart or my doctor tells me I am a liability, it is time for me to quit.

Then it is back to OC, and those guys are a dime a dozen so....
    Last edited by saveourseas; 18th November 2009 at 23:13.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar

There is no doubt that when there is a serious accident it is extremely traumatic for everyone involved.

I wouldn't go as far as to say when this happens I will never do that again. The whole idea behind having a regular medical examination is to diagnose anything that's likely to trigger an event and then take action to either correct it or safely manage it.

I would like to think that should something was found during an examination that I could successfully continue to dive but only with a clearance from my doctor. But should the doctor say "No More" then that's it........

Let's hope that won't be the case for some time yet!!

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Once a year. Why not. It cost very little in Thailand ($200US). Also will get a TEE($100US) on then next visit which is also very inexpensive and provide some proactive information if I have a PFO or not. Better to be informed so that issues can be dealt with head on.

As you know Lance. I am one of the old one but tend to keep in good physical shape specifically for technical diving but generally since it make me feel better each day.

Plus you never know when you might need to be swimming all night long. :)

John

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

I'm going on 57. I have a "complete" physical annually. It includes blood work-up, EKG, spirometer, and ... um, other tests. It is definitely NOT one of those "executive" exams that take all day and cost lots of money, but I think its thorough enough to be considered a "dive" medical.

I've never had a PFO test.

--
    Art

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Complete physical every year since I was 25......why not? it's only $20 bucks.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by NEDIVER  View Original Post
    Complete physical every year since I was 25......why not? it's only $20 bucks.
    Obviously you do not pay the full medical costs yourself. Last time I checked the standard suite of blood tests cost in excess of $500 at a discount lab in the US.

John

I really think if you're going to go to the trouble of taking a medical you might as well get a full medical including ECG, blood pressure, bloods and blood sugar.

A quick $20.00 medical might satisfy your employer for work related conditions but diving is a lot more involved and as such so should the medical.

Regards,

Lance

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
    Megalodon

Complete physicals with eye and all orifice examinations since age 18.... so far so good....

Dive safe,

Celia

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

When was my last physical?

NONE OF YOUR DAMNED BUSINESS!!!

Cheers,

-S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast