+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Under $50 Cell Checker

RBW Member pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk's Avatar

Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

Just a wild thought ...

I don't know the amount of pressure an average RB canister will hold otherwise that might be your pressure vessel which allready holds the electronics to do the checks without removing your cells.

This would simply ask for 1 side to be plugged and the otherside plugged with a plug that holds a pressure guage and overpressure valve and a valve to enable flushing the canister clean with O2..

Just put on the plugs, build up the pressure and read your controller/PPO2 guage.

It all depends on the fact if a RB canister can hold 1.6-2 barrs off course.

As I said ... just a wild thought ...

Steve Rich stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm is a jewel in the rough stunsm's Avatar
    rEvo II

Classic/Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by pabusk  View Original Post
    Just a wild thought ...

I don't know the amount of pressure an average Rebreather canister will hold otherwise that might be your pressure vessel which allready holds the electronics to do the checks without removing your cells.

This would simply ask for 1 side to be plugged and the otherside plugged with a plug that holds a pressure guage and overpressure valve and a valve to enable flushing the canister clean with O2..

Just put on the plugs, build up the pressure and read your controller/PPO2 guage.

It all depends on the fact if a RB canister can hold 1.6-2 barrs off course.

As I said ... just a wild thought ...
    On a kiss, and most other units I'm sure, the opv will vent long before 1.6 bar, and it takes a not insignificant amount of gas to flush the entire loop out compared to a 10" filter housing.

RBW Member pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk is a jewel in the rough pabusk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stunsm  View Original Post
    On a kiss, and most other units I'm sure, the opv will vent long before 1.6 bar, and it takes a not insignificant amount of gas to flush the entire loop out compared to a 10" filter housing.
    As I said ... just a wild thought and will off course only work if the OPV is outside your canister e.g. in your c-lungs.

Still a wild thought though and I'm not going to try it on my canister

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by pabusk  View Original Post
    As I said ... just a wild thought and will off course only work if the OPV is outside your canister e.g. in your c-lungs.

Still a wild thought though and I'm not going to try it on my canister
    I guess what you have in mind is similar to this ?
    Deep-Check©

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Thought I'd offer my "deluxe" version with DIY Plexiglass mounting and onboard electronics from this thread:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=34791

The brass body regulator is from Mc Master, (limits at 60 psi) as are most of the fittings and O2 ready gage. I splurged and got the nickel plated fittings, but forgot to order the 3/4 to 1/2 reducing bushings.

The square button on the left is the on / off switch and the 3 on the right are for calibration / menu navigation.

Everything else should be pretty self explanatory.

Darlene
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Scuba_Vixen; 24th September 2010 at 02:26.

RBW Member matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram is just really nice matthewoutram's Avatar
    inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post
    I'm a geek. I know it, and now you know it. I'm not ashamed.

Now that's out of the way, let me introduce my latest gadget, the Under $50 O2 cell Checker. In fact, I estimate my costs were closer to $35 -$40.

I put a lot of pics and a detailed description on my website - follow this LINK to see it for yourself.

The short version - using a variety of bits from my rebreather, things I had laying around, and some common hardware store items, I was able to create a fully functional, 3-cell, Cell checker for well under the cost of a single cell.

I hope you enjoy.
    Link does not work :-(
    Matt.

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Vixen  View Original Post
    Thought I'd offer my "deluxe" version with DIY Plexiglass mounting and onboard electronics from this thread:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=34791

The brass body regulator is from Mc Master, (limits at 60 psi) as are most of the fittings and O2 ready gage. I splurged and got the nickel plated fittings, but forgot to order the 3/4 to 1/2 reducing bushings.

The square button on the left is the on / off switch and the 3 on the right are for calibration / menu navigation.

Everything else should be pretty self explanatory.

Darlene
    That is just plain gorgeous. You do nice work, Darlene.

--
    Art

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

OK I'm coveting your plumbing bits.

I'm programming an OSTC so I really need to dive a computer in the workshop hence I'd really like something about 10cms internal diam and 10 or more long but I can't find anything. I looked for smaller, down to 7.5cms ID, but still no go.

Can anybody point me at somebody who will take my money, preferably in the UK, for something like that lovely white device? Preferably not too much money. 7 bar OA is fine, 10 would be nice, but I've spent an hour trying to think of the right magic words to put into Google but I can't find big enough AND transparent.

HELP!
    Last edited by nigelh; 24th September 2010 at 16:23. Reason: spelling

RBW Member garyd is an unknown quantity at this point garyd's Avatar
    KISS Classic #408

Damn.... that thing is awesome Darlene! How much to build me one. Bet it ain't "under $50"

Gary

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garyd  View Original Post
    Damn.... that thing is awesome Darlene! How much to build me one. Bet it ain't "under $50"

Gary

Excluding the electronics, it still comes in under $100 counting the plexiglass, regulator, and gage. Having the tools for construction, and strip heater to bend the plexi, helps a lot too.

The leccies are pretty simple and built from parts I usually have on hand for other projects.

I've found that the easier something is to use, the more likely I'll be to use it.

I made this easy enough that I just can't make an excuse for not checking my cells before a dive.

Darlene

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast