+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Under $50 Cell Checker

RBW Member Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M's Avatar
    Homebuilt

Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    If anybody is still looking for a good, cheap pressure vessel to make a cell checker, i found one. Idea courtesy of my buddy Vince, the NEDU engineeer.

He suggested the filter canister used in house drinking water applications. Rated to 125 psi, this model features 1/4 inch NPT in/out with a pressure release button on top and an O ring seal. At 10 inches long, a little bigger than what's required but no big deal.

Available on line from Filtersfast.com all for $12.43 plus shipping.

here is a pic of the completed unit.
    Hi! Filterhouses work very good, I've used that for some time. The quick and dirty version is to hook up a air or nitrox bottle to it and adjust the testing pressure by verying the IP on the regulator you use. I've had mine up to 13 bars so 195 PSI, perhaps pushing it a bit. Normaly I only use it to 10 bars with air

RBW Member astralcat23 is an unknown quantity at this point astralcat23's Avatar
    Steam Machines Prism

Re: The Under $130 Cell Checker

I built a version of SWADIVER"s from his picture. As I am mostly clueless when it comes to plumbing, for those so challenged, I will describe exactly what parts are used and where to get them.
    LP To 1/4">1/4" Barrel>1/4" O2 Needle Valve>1/4" "T">1/4" Check Valve 125 psi1/4"t to 1/2" Couping>
    Water Filter Housing 1/2" NPT>1/2" to 3/8th Coupling>3/8th "T">3/8th to 1/4" fitting>O2 safe gauge 1/4">out of "T"-3/8th to 1/4" Fitting>3/8th compression fitting>3/8th Gates brake line.

Filter Fast Part #CP-1525997
    1/4"LP and o2 Needle valve from Northeast SCUBA Supply
    For all other parts walk into any AirGas (They are everywhere) with list or go online.

Apply 2-part 5-minute epoxy into brake line where cables exit. "Build up" epoxy around O/P to create good seal.

Needle valve was $40.00 Brass is $60.00 and Filter $30.00

I figure unit could be reconfigured with a larger pot to test housings and such.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by astralcat23; 18th May 2010 at 03:25. Reason: Photos

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Excellent!

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Question.....

Is an O2 Needle valve really needed here?

We are talking about LP pressures and to get cells into the 2-3 ata range we are talking about 45psi....

The offboard valves on my counterlungs certainly are not O2 clean/needle valves... I'm thinking a simple ball valve would be adequate....

Also....

Why not use a Cross vs. a T and have both the OPV and Guage at the same junction..... Have one side of the filter be all about gas, and the other side the compression fitting/wires for display....

-Tim

RBW Member astralcat23 is an unknown quantity at this point astralcat23's Avatar
    Steam Machines Prism

An o2 Needle valve is not needed. I couldn't find a cheap one in Trident's immense catalog so when I saw this o2 clean valve on Northeast SCUBA Supply's website while buying other parts I just went for it. Probably wise to clean any cheap ball valve of grease before use (Simple Green-02 clean)

As for the cross verses "T" please note in original post-"As I am mostly clueless when it comes to plumbing..." In my search I never saw a brass cross, they may be out there but I never saw them. It would make the assembly smaller.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced divers on this forum
    I wish they would be more specific with ideas, mods etc...
    I've been diving my unit for about 6 years and only have a couple hundred hours. So by Richard Pyle's standard I am very much a Novice. If experienced divers would share this would be very helpful.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astralcat23  View Original Post
    An o2 Needle valve is not needed. I couldn't find a cheap one in Trident's immense catalog so when I saw this o2 clean valve on Northeast SCUBA Supply's website while buying other parts I just went for it. Probably wise to clean any cheap ball valve of grease before use (Simple Green-02 clean)

As for the cross verses "T" please note in original post-"As I am mostly clueless when it comes to plumbing..." In my search I never saw a brass cross, they may be out there but I never saw them. It would make the assembly smaller.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced divers on this forum
    I wish they would be more specific with ideas, mods etc...
    I've been diving my unit for about 6 years and only have a couple hundred hours. So by Richard Pyle's standard I am very much a Novice. If experienced divers would share this would be very helpful.
    I ordered all my fittings over the weekend, I went with two brass t's as it was cheaper than a single cross... I'm going to have all the brass one side and all the wires coming out the other... If I'm up to it I'll make a step by step assembly pics as I'm building it....

My build..... I went with the PCB connected into Female end idea. The cheap audio cable is giving me fits, and I'm not so sure about the cord grip... I'm loosing pressure despite applying generous amounts of epoxy. I just applied some putty - we'll see if it fills the spaces.

Parts List:
    NESS
    1/4 NPT - BC Nipple

Mouser Electronics
    538-22-12-2034 R/A PCB HDR 3P GOLD
    538-08-55-0102 CRIMP TERM SEL GLD
    538-22-01-3037 HSG 3P W/RAMP/RIBS

McMaster Carr
    9171K32 PRECISION THRD HI-PRESSURE BRASS PIPE FITTING, 1/4" PIPE SIZE, TEE, FEM X FEM X MALE, 3000 PSI
    48435K765 BRASS SOFT SEAL ASME POP-SAFETY VALVE, 1/4" NPT MALE, 45 PSI
    4000K753 MULTIPURPOSE GAUGE - 2% MID-SCALE ACCURACY, 3-1/2" DIAL, 1/4" NPT BOTTOM, 0-60 PSI/400 KPA
    71335K53 AUDIO CABLE, NONPLENUM, 22/6 AWG, 0.16" OD, 300 VAC, GRAY, 25'
    6907K9 NICKEL-PLATED BRASS LIQUID-TIGHT CORD GRIP, STRAIGHT, 1/4" NPT TRADE SZ, 0.11"-0.26" CORD DIA

FiltersFast
    Pentek 158117 1/4" NPT Slim Line 10" Clear Housing
    Pentek 3G SL Bracket Kit for Slim Line Housings

I grabbed some cells I had declared 'binned' for whatever reason, calibrated and ran them up higher than the meg electronics likes - or at least APECS v2.5 will roll over above a pO2 of 2.50. The cells all tracked nicely... I grab some more photos today.

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Use a brass hex head pipe plug and drill and tap it for the cord grip. Oooops ... Never mind, looks like your filter is only 1/4 npt, you'd need 3/8 or 1/2 npt to use a plug that's drilled and tapped.

Here's a cordset you can use the cable from for a couple projects that works well with sealcons (cable grips): McMaster P/N 7138K13 McMaster-Carr

there's 13' of it if you cut the plug off

Darlene
    Last edited by Scuba_Vixen; 24th August 2010 at 16:42.

Epoxy putty looks to be holding....

Steam Machines Prism

Well done Tim. My build had cables coming out of brake line, so it was easy to build up epoxy. I don't have machining tools in my current situation so every thing had to be done with nothing more than a crescent wrench and soldering. I think this design will put more of these units into more hands thereby increasing safety.

Aloha,

-G.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast