+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Under $50 Cell Checker

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Lightbulb The Under $50 Cell Checker

I'm a geek. I know it, and now you know it. I'm not ashamed.

Now that's out of the way, let me introduce my latest gadget, the Under $50 O2 cell Checker. In fact, I estimate my costs were closer to $35 -$40.

I put a lot of pics and a detailed description on my website - follow this LINK to see it for yourself.

The short version - using a variety of bits from my rebreather, things I had laying around, and some common hardware store items, I was able to create a fully functional, 3-cell, Cell checker for well under the cost of a single cell.

I hope you enjoy.

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

Scott,

I see great minds think alike! I've been going down the same road, using plastic plumbing parts. We certainly don't need high pressures when using pure oxygen for the checks, and PVC or ABS pipe will do fine at 2 ATA.

You're a bit ahead of me in implementation. Mine is going to be a winter project, after football season is over and before the local diving season gets going in the spring.

Thanks for posting your version. I'm sure some of the ideas you came up with will prove valuable in my implementation.

Take care,

Art

RBW Member JB Lombaard is an unknown quantity at this point JB Lombaard's Avatar

Well done. I think that will be my DIY project for the coming holidays

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Nice job Scott, have some greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

RBW Member Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit's Avatar
    Submatix mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post

Now that's out of the way, let me introduce my latest gadget, the Under $50 O2 cell Checker. In fact, I estimate my costs were closer to $35 -$40.

I put a lot of pics and a detailed description on my website - follow this LINK to see it for yourself.

The short version - using a variety of bits from my rebreather, things I had laying around, and some common hardware store items, I was able to create a fully functional, 3-cell, Cell checker for well under the cost of a single cell.

I hope you enjoy.
    Here's another way of doing it.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=23102

And here's my version.

http://www.corbridge-net.co.uk/CellCheckerSmall.jpg

All parts are rated to 10 Bar (or more) so I can use 21% as the testing gas. It looks rough but it works.

Cheers
    Ian

RBW Member Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit has a spectacular aura about Kermit's Avatar
    Submatix mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by ianfirmin  View Original Post
    Here's another way of doing it.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=23102

And here's my version.

http://www.corbridge-net.co.uk/CellCheckerSmall.jpg

All parts are rated to 10 Bar (or more) so I can use 21% as the testing gas. It looks rough but it works.

Cheers
    Ian
    Perhaps I should add that it requires no fabrication. The small pneumatic filter has a built in adjustable regulator (mail order from China, £12 plus £10 pp). The big filter was a reject from a local factory. The Spigot and the various bushes and adaptors cost about £10 all in and the cable and gland I had left over from an old dive light project. The molex connectors come from an old cell and a discarded mobile phone battery. I plug the spigot into a whip from a regulator and the connector goes into the input to one of my Oxyscans.

I've always thought that testing cells in pure dry O2 was not representative as the overall pressure and humidity may be affecting them. This way I can test them at any pressure I like (up to 10 Bar) using any gas (or mix). I can also add some water into the test chamber to bring the humidity up. The resulting environment should be closer to the real thing.
    ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by Kermit; 29th October 2009 at 18:06. Reason: typo

RBW Member WD8CDH is an unknown quantity at this point WD8CDH's Avatar
    Homebuilt mCCRs, eSCR

MK15, Electrolung, others

Hi Skunkmail,

Did the access port fitting alreadt have an o-ring?

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

I hope you enjoy.
    its great job, and well done on the time you put in. now, would you care to sell something like that? maybe going bulk ?

Thanks

Spyros

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

I hope you enjoy.
    hello, would you care to sell a ready made unit for megalodon cells? and maybe an X1 connection?

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    hello, would you care to sell a ready made unit for megalodon cells? and maybe an X1 connection?
    I'd buy one to plug into my Shearwater ... I don't use it, but its unlocked for reading live pO2...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast