+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you manage your rig?

RBW Member Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme

Dolphin

Re: How do you manage your rig?

Hi D:
    I have been shooting stills since 1996 and video since 1998. In my experience, I generally clipped off to the right waistband d-ring for years, before I went with the eCCR. I now clip to the crotch d-ring. I use two SS large bolt snaps, each one secured to the handle bases, where the dovetail base is located for the arms. These lanyards are homebuilt, the 3/8" climbing rope is used with the bolt snaps-for topside use, I clip them together for a nice carrying handle of sorts. The arms dual 12" sections, ultralight and collapsed, they hold tight, not flopping the strobehead around. Dome port cover stays on until destination. The neoprene cover has a velcro lanyard, so I can just wrap it around an arm section to secure. I used to stuff the cover in a thigh pocket, but lost one once when I didn't zip in totally shut.
    With the correct length on the lanyards, I never have noticed my rig when finning, I ususally do a frog kick, so legs are farther apart.
    Don't cave dive here in NJ, we wreck dive, so can't suggest anything there.
    Best of luck!
    -Dan

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Nice and details post, thanks Dan.

Since I started the thread in 2009 I've tried a few different approaches including scooter mounted DSLRs for both video purposes and still camera transportation.

I recenlty got back from Florida where we did a lot of cave dives and came up with a simple yet effective means of handling the rig in tec config.

1. Dome+viewfinder cover on until time to shoot. I've tethered them together with a boltsnap so just clip the covers off to my right hip when not on camera. They float so stay out of the way mostly.

2. Minimise the rig where possible. I used single 12" arms on each side with stix floats. I also adopted a 6" dome instead of the 8" and Inon240's over DS125s for a smaller rig. Net result is a relatively smaller rig that wraps up nicely and is basically neutral.

3. I wrap up the strobes and clip off to the right hand side hip d-ring.

This approach in Florida really worked for the caves and I'm adopting it for deep open water dives now too.

It's early days with the scooter, but my view is unless you're shooting video there is little (if not negative) value with the camera mounted to the scooter. It plays havoc with the scooter trim and getting it on/off is a gymnastic exercise. For video though, different story as it stabilises the camera and result in some cool motion scenes.

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

I keep my camera(s) up high on my right shoulder d-ring clipped to a Cetacea lanyard. I find that this keeps the cameras from getting banged around on the bottom and from clanking with cylinders. I've been shooting wide-angle, adn my camera tend to be neutral to slightly positive, so it floats just behind my right shoulder. I swing it around when ready to shoot and away I go.

I'm able to do this for two reasons however. First-BMCL so my chest/right shoulder is clear. Second is that I carry stages/bailout in a sidemount configuration so they are under my armpits and not utilizing my shoulder d-rings.

RBW Member BillGraham is on a distinguished road BillGraham is on a distinguished road BillGraham's Avatar

I think about this a lot myself. For ocean dives, I just have it folded up on a lanyard and let it hang underneath me as I descend and on decompression, subject to anyone being underneath me.

Cave diving is another kettle of fish and I tend to keep it in my hands if I can. I've noticed that a lot of the best photographs happen when I'm not expecting them so in the Mill Pond, I'll shoot all the way back to the boat most times.

I believe that no matter what, you are compromised when you have the camera. You're down to one hand and part of a brain. With that in mind, I make the entire dive about taking photos instead of trying to get somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2