+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O2 induced myopia (2nd attempt)

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

O2 induced myopia (2nd attempt)

Hi all,

I'm still looking for first-hand experience of rebreather divers who got any sign or symptom of Oxygen Induced myopia after long repetitive exposure to elevated pO2 underwater.

Most of the readings come from the hyperbaric chamber environment (people like Anderson, Palmquist or benhke). The only well documented case of a rebreather diver was Howard Hall.

So is there anybody on the forum who actually felt some symptoms of myopia after long rebreather dives, with a progressive recovery within a few days/weeks?
    Please don't hesitate to share your experience.

Cheers

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Re: O2 induced myopia (2nd attempt)

Quote Originally Posted by cedricverdier
    Hi all,

I'm still looking for first-hand experience of rebreather divers who got any sign or symptom of Oxygen Induced myopia after long repetitive exposure to elevated pO2 underwater.

Most of the readings come from the hyperbaric chamber environment (people like Anderson, Palmquist or benhke). The only well documented case of a rebreather diver was Howard Hall.

So is there anybody on the forum who actually felt some symptoms of myopia after long rebreather dives, with a progressive recovery within a few days/weeks?

Cheers
    I had it several years ago.. Did 3 straight weeks of RB diving with 4 -5 hours a day on average... I used a 1.3 po2 for bottom/deco with the last 6m stop as an oxygen rebreather on every dive.. I noticed "better" vision somewhere around the 14th day.. , symptoms began disappearing about 3 or 4 days after exposure stopped.. took about 2 weeks to be back to 100% poor vision..

This is the only time it has ever happened to me and I have done trips averaging 6 hours a day for 7-10 days without problems..
    Last edited by jradomski; 11th January 2006 at 09:29.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cedricverdier
    Hi all,

Cheers

Ahh so is this the excuse you are using to explain why you couldnt see that 90m T? :D

I dont suffer from it but I dive with two guys that do.

Try Fred Evans on this forum or Kevin Denlay.

IIRC Both find the longer the trip the worse it gets and then after they finish diving it returns back to normal after a while.
    Last edited by Drmike; 11th January 2006 at 11:29.

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    I had it several years ago.. Did 3 straight weeks of RB diving with 4 -5 hours a day on average... I used a 1.3 po2 for bottom/deco with the last 6m stop as an oxygen rebreather on every dive...
    Now you are just skiteing. :D :)
    Edit: http://www.australianexplorer.com/slang/behaviour.htm
    sorry forgot I had an acsent.
    Last edited by wizbang; 11th January 2006 at 21:22.

Explorer JBozanic is an unknown quantity at this point JBozanic's Avatar
    Titan, Inspiration

Poseidon, Topaz, Optima, etc

I do not know if Dave Hancock is a member, but he had problems with hyperoxic myopia as well. You can contact him via DiveAlert (he is the owner).

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang
    Now you are just skiteing. :D :)
    Edit: http://www.australianexplorer.com/slang/behaviour.htm
    sorry forgot I had an acsent.
    My credit card didn't think so...
    ;)
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Old Bull Fred Evans is an unknown quantity at this point Fred Evans's Avatar

I have been experiencing hyperoxia induced myopia for about the last year which is when I turned 50 (as if that wasn’t bad enough).

I haven’t yet been able to determine what UPTD loading triggers it but it needs to be pretty high.

I have just returned from 7 consecutive days of diving in Komodo with the family (a rare period of reef diving for me) and did not experience the onset of myopia after accumulating 15 hours in-water time at a SP of 1.0 (this was all non deco diving).

On a typical Empress trip I would clock up somewhere between 50 and 60 hours in-water time over 10 days at a SP of 1.2 with final 6m stops at 1.4, and this would result in pronounced Myopia by the end of the trip.

Strangely it is only really noticeable at the end of the trip when we steam in … whether this means that the onset occurs only after this level of exposure; it results from the absence of O2 (coming off the high); or I just don’t have anything distant to focus on the boat, I am not sure (probably the latter).

The impact is pretty extreme and I go from needing glasses for reading to needing them to focusing beyond 8ft. When it first occurs it is quite disturbing. This lasts for 10-14 days before the eyes revert back to normal. I now carry special glasses on these trips so I can read airport signs etc. when returning.

What is rather worrying is that I believe Kevin Denlay is now experiencing some permanent effects of this i.e. his sight is not fully recovering to its pre-existing state following a long dive trip. Mind you Kevin is very old so I probably have many more years of diving before that happens to me. Kevin has been experiencing this for longer than me, as he is very old, so he may have better data on what the trigger point is and what can be done to mitigate the impact.

I am concerned that I may have to start limiting my bottom time on multi day trips requiring deco …. bummer.

Regards, Fred

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Evans

I am concerned that I may have to start limiting my bottom time on multi day trips requiring deco …. bummer.

Regards, Fred
    Id be more concerned about what 'old' Kevin will do to you once he reads this :D

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Id be more concerned about what 'old' Kevin will do to you once he reads this :D
    Bah, Fred is safe. The old man has a bugger of a time making his 'puta work let alone being able to read print this small.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Evans
    I have been experiencing hyperoxia induced myopia for about the last year which is when I turned 50 (as if that wasn’t bad enough).

I haven’t yet been able to determine what UPTD loading triggers it but it needs to be pretty high.

Regards, Fred
    Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Quite interesting

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast