+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OUCH-Extreeme Jaw pain

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

OUCH-Extreeme Jaw pain

Since diving my rebreather I have noticed that the right side of my jaw has been very painful and making a snapping noise, after the first day of my rebreather class I noticed it and attached a secure mouth piece to my breeather, it seemed to do the trick, however yester day after 80 minutes I was feeling a pain in my jaw, after surfacing I discovered that my jaw was locked up I could only open it about 1/4 in. the pain and my jaw being locked lasted 24 hours, now I can get my mouth open about 90% and the pain is almost gone.
    Has this happened to any one else? and how did you fix the problem?
    Lee

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Re: OUCH-Extreeme Jaw pain

You've never had TMJ?

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Well, you might want to give a try with one of these:

Manta Bite, a Revolutionary Scuba Mouthpiece :: Dive with a Manta :: Manta-bite.com

Yes, it looks strange, and it does at first feel somewhat strange in your mouth, kind of a slice of Orange stuck in there. But it sure does eliminate jaw fatigue completly.

It does not work for everyone, it is a sort of a love or hate thing.
    I have used it on my SCR very regularly, but not on my CCR.

Good luck!

RBN

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

I had TMJ over 20 years ago, I used a night gaurd for several years back then, and the pain and popping went away,(I continued diving and never had a problem like this) I thought that the TMJ was gone. I have even gone as far as using secure mouth piece's just in case. The Dr. I seen about this(not my regular Dr.) seems to think that maybe the extra weight of the loop has agravated my TMJ since I have been symtom free for over 18 years.
    Thanks,
    Lee

RBW Member moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund's Avatar
    Oxygen Rebreather

RG/U-FM mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by dragerdiver  View Original Post
    Since diving my rebreather I have noticed that the right side of my jaw has been very painful and making a snapping noise, after the first day of my rebreather class I noticed it and attached a secure mouth piece to my breeather, it seemed to do the trick, however yester day after 80 minutes I was feeling a pain in my jaw, after surfacing I discovered that my jaw was locked up I could only open it about 1/4 in. the pain and my jaw being locked lasted 24 hours, now I can get my mouth open about 90% and the pain is almost gone.
    Has this happened to any one else? and how did you fix the problem?
    Lee
    Linda said it all--TMJ. See your dentist and have them check your jaw and bite. Better, call around and find a dentist who dives (OC is fine). It should not be hard as they have the $$$ to do it. Get their advice on what to do to correct the problem.

RBW Member +Jon+ is an unknown quantity at this point +Jon+'s Avatar
    meg, pathfinder

you might want to read this The Deco Stop
    I use a manta bite on my meg, looks a bit weird but have zero jaw fatigue also solved a problem I had with water intrusion from loose lips.

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

I've found that I am extra conscious of creating a good seal at the mouthpiece adn bite harder than I really need to. I switched to ffm for the majority of my diving, and that eliminated my jaw problems entirely

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bowen  View Original Post
    You've never had TMJ?
    this is quite possibly the problem, If this is the case and it seems that you have had this issue in the past, you may want to confer with your oral surgeon on your options.

Perhaps, you need the setting on your seacure molding to be in a position that is not your normal bite?

You might try bringing a new seacure to your surgeon and asking on the proper position of your bite to reduce discomfort (most likely more of a underbite than your normal bite position).

You may also look into a "gag strap" option that can attach to your unit to relieve some bite pressure and relax your jaw muscles. Try using your night-guard prior to dives to relieve jaw stress prior to the day of diving and maintain any ancillary pharmocotherapy weeks prior to diving. Prevention is your answer not, acute treatment for the pain.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

that is the reason i use a seacure it seems to lessen the problem. also make sure the loop is weighted correctly. i find the least pain and TMJ issues occur when my loop is exactly neutral. when i take it out of my mouth it floats in my face then it is right.
    hope this helps. but be aware that the seacure (even the high flow) will increase WOB, sorry nothing is perfect.
    mel

Wael AL-Jareh Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision with BOB

Ray, Evolution, Insp. Classic

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Manta Bite mouthpiece would fit all regulators? I use DiveMatics BOV and couldn't find seacure that fits so I'm considering other options if that could work.

Thanks. Wael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast