+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why no necklace for bailout reg?

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Why no necklace for bailout reg?

Given that seconds are vital when bailing out from a rebreather, I wondered why I have never seen anyone put their first bailout reg on a necklace like we used to on OC with our secondaries? Does anyone do it? - how are you routing the hose?

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Why no necklace for bailout reg?

Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    Given that seconds are vital when bailing out from a rebreather, I wondered why I have never seen anyone put their first bailout reg on a necklace like we used to on OC with our secondaries? Does anyone do it? - how are you routing the hose?
    When diving on a unit without a BOV, I usually put the 2nd stage on a necklace. It makes it much easier and faster to locate.

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

Hi Abbo

On the IDA-71:

I do, and so do some of my students and people who dive with me. On my IDA-71 the bailout reg comes out the case on the top behind my right shoulder and lives under my chin.

I carry an AL40 or an AL80 with diluent with a bailout reg on which is meant for my buddy or another diver, so the necklaced reg is not primarily for someone else, but for myself.

Although my IDA-71 has a KISS BOV, I still like to carry a bungeed bailout reg since I had a very bad caustic cocktail once but thats another story ...

Dolphin:

On the Dolphin it routes from the little 2 liter bail out bottle on the left across the top of the unit and once again over the right shoulder.

Ray:

With a Ray the bailout reg is usually clipped off on the jacket somewhere since the standard hose that comes on the Ray's bailout reg is an odd length and can't seem to be routed to under the chin.

PVR-BASC:

I'm still trying to get the hose routing right for this one.

I'm diving it in the ocean with AL40's as drive gas and I suspect that the hose routing would be better if I had Scubapro 1st stages with that extra port at the bottom of the reg.

All my stuff is Apeks so there always seems to be a hose poking in a wayward direction, which is very uncool :-P

HTH

rgds
    monty

Urs or Nounours teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005's Avatar
    rEvo III mccr

MKVI

I do it too, also when diving with a BOV (had a few issues on the BOV recently after having changes the O-rings).

The only point to watch out is on what BO you have put the reg so you will be able to take it at the worst situation and breath a gas which will not kill or narke you...

Grand Beede' pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater is a jewel in the rough pieater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    I reckon it's bred out of you on MOD 1 - it certainly was for me. I started the course with a bailout reg bungied under my chin and found the stage on / off drill a right pain in the arse with that set up.

It would seem that french divers bungie a boltsnap under their chins and attach the bailout second stage to that via a loop of line tied round the mouthpiece. That's what I did for the ret of MOD 1. Since then I've gone BOV.

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Funny you mentioned it - I've just started doing it relatively recently - very handy, particularly in low visibility diving and if you also want to make life relatively easy for your buddy if they need to access it too.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I always did it too. With my bailout on the left, hose came up, over my left shoulder, round my neck, over right shoulder and under chin on a gag. Hose was a 1.5m hose. When bailing out I always preferred pulling the loop down and to the side rather than over the head.

I now use a BOV that's about a million times more reliable than a Paragon but I run the hose to it the same way from my offboard only now it's QC'd to the BOV rather than necklaced.

Cheers,

Stuart

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by montyg  View Original Post
    All my stuff is Apeks so there always seems to be a hose poking in a wayward direction, which is very uncool :-P

HTH

rgds
    monty
    Hi Monty,
    Did you hear that Apeks are going to be releasing a small modification to ( I think) the seat bit that screws down through the turret on the DST so you can have a port on the top like the Scubapro?

Dave

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

In my days befor getting a BOV

ATB

Mark

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    In my days befor getting a BOV
    I also have a BOV that works beautifully when it works. I was just intrigued about your Plan B for a caustic cocktail.
    Cheers,
    Nicholas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast